Speculation: Dion Phaneuf: where is he?

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I read an article on NHL.com stating that he had multiple teams reach out and express interest. At his age he might be disappointed with the options though. He’s more of a bottom pairing/extra defensemen that maybe signed by a non-playoff team for veteran presence at this point. I imagine there’s interest in PTOs or one year low paying deals but he might think he’s worth more than that.

Also, despite the fact he’s matured a lot since his early feuds and nasty media comments but I have to wonder if that would sour some teams looking for the typical “character” traits they seek from declining veterans.

Well said. would also assume that hes looking for a good "fit". Likely doesnt want to have to relocate the family in order for a 1 year deal at league minimum.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I hope he signs another contract, just because this will be a sad way for a good career to end. People will always remember him in relation to his contract/expectations rather than what he was. I really hope he's not seen 10 years from now as a bad defenseman, because of the way it ended.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Pretty sure I saw him in the subway station this morning, allowing people through after they swipe their card

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah I heard he might get a PTO from the Ducks
Hell Yes so that his wife Actress Elisha Cuthbert can be seen in a Ducks jersey :) Elisha is the one best looking actresses in history, the Canadian 'Marilyn Monroe'.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I hope he signs another contract, just because this will be a sad way for a good career to end. People will always remember him in relation to his contract/expectations rather than what he was. I really hope he's not seen 10 years from now as a bad defenseman, because of the way it ended.
He was good in junior and would have been a hell of a good NHL D-man in the old NHL. Once the game switched from the clutch and grab his ceiling fell to a very good top 4. He has never been a good 1/2 guy.
Now he is a 6/7.

He has had a good career but not like we are talking about a top tier guy for a long length of time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He was good in junior and would have been a hell of a good NHL D-man in the old NHL. Once the game switched from the clutch and grab his ceiling fell to a very good top 4. He has never been a good 1/2 guy.
Now he is a 6/7.

He has had a good career but not like we are talking about a top tier guy for a long length of time.

I know. But he's really not even remembered for what he was now. Which was a pretty good... what? #3? I just hope we remember more than the trade, and the buyout, and the ugly way we got to this point. He was a solid player through his prime. Not a HOFer or anything, but he's kind of become a joke, and that's not really fair either.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I admittedly haven't seen a lot of him since he left Toronto so I'm not fully able to say "he's done" but... that does seem to be a general consensus.

Not the greatest player but a pretty solid dude overall. If this is it for him then he had a solid career. Enjoy having his health, his money and a beautiful family.

Reactions: leetch99

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Could he settle into a solid 6/7 role, like Luke Schenn is trying to? Still somewhat useful, but in a much, much different spot?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Now he is a 6/7.

He was a hell of a good D man in the NHL for the first 4 years. Fell off a bit in Toronto but was still solid up until a couple years ago.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Pretty sure the Ducks Atheltic writer mentioned they saw him on the ice training here in CA. Just speculating that Ducks could offer a PTO.

Yeah he definitely mentioned it. Said he spotted him one day but wasn’t there the next day when he looked out for him. Speculated he could be at camp on a PTO.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He is right here with his wife, we are binge watching 24.....

Jack Bauer is about to murder some anonymous baddies
and torture the main recurring character, who has just been discovered as the mole of the season.
But wait...there's more, its the twist time!!!.

Reactions: Slyfox

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
He is right here with his wife, we are binge watching 24.....

Jack Bauer is about to murder some anonymous baddies
and torture the main recurring character, who has just been discovered as the mole of the season.
But wait...there's more, its the twist time!!!.

Meanwhile while Jack is off being awesome his daughter Kim is busy almost being eaten by a cougar or complaining about her life or some other useless plot line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad