Dion Phaneuf This Season

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Rielly never looked up to Dion...ever!

Dion did nothing to mentor Rielly but Kadri did. Kadri was a player who talked to Rielly when he went to camp the first time and gave him advise!

Daisy you are correct that Robidas was the one who took Rielly and Gardiner under his wing and was offering advise.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Yet Dion never said he was injured, only stated after the season that he was tired.

Never change!

The one and only time you ever take Dion at his word is when it serves your narrative.

If he had said he was hurt, you would have said he was making excuses.

Plenty of players, and many leaders especially, don't disclose their injuries for that very reason.

I can only point to the evidence. You neglect to observe it. And thus why I only put 30 seconds of effort into my responses to you any more. You've wasted enough of my time.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
that's good. I hope he does.
then we can trade him :)

Feel the same way Daisy hope he has a great season and trade at the deadline for the best deal on board. I don't dislike Dion just feel its better for both the team and him to part ways.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The one and only time you ever take Dion at his word is when it serves your narrative.

If he had said he was hurt, you would have said he was making excuses.

Plenty of players, and many leaders especially, don't disclose their injuries for that very reason.

I can only point to the evidence. You neglect to observe it. And thus why I only put 30 seconds of effort into my responses to you any more. You've wasted enough of my time.

So you are calling Dion a liar then?

He said with his own words that he was tired, not me, yet you want me to believe that he was hurt.

Remember he said he was tired after the season and not during so the need to hide an injury was gone!

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I believe the ultimate goal of Shana-management is to rehabilitate Phaneuf to the point where he is tradeable and can return a piece or two that can help in the future as opposed to simply a contract dump.

There is simply no market at present for his services.

Ideally Shanny/Babcock would like to appoint their own captain and the best way to facilitate that is to deal Dion away to create the opening for the job.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
maybe.
again - just so people don't go i'm pushing an agenda or bias (which. whatever). or just being all negative about him. I just don't remember ever hearing it or it was alluded to. That's why the Robidas thing stood out so strongly for me.

Sometimes it's ok to go on what is common sense, not everything is reported.

We know Phaneuf mentored Kadri when he 1st arrived, so it's not a stretch to assume he did it with another high pick especially one that plays the same position.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Dion mentoring Rielly....such a joke! I hope that Rielly does not play with him this year as Rielly does not need to cover for Dion all year.

I posted a list a while back when I said that Dion was a #3 and that is what he is. It has been report that teams where interested in him but with 1.5 to 2 million of retained salary and that was before his game went further south to finish the season. So GM's around the league placed him with the 5M to 5.5M D man when this was reported.

His 7M per a year places him as the 25th highest cap hit of all players currently which makes it impossible to trade him at his cap hit because he is no where near a top 25 league wide player. As a D man his cap hit places him as the 6th highest cap hit.

Do your self a favour and look at a list of D man in the NHL and then see just how many you think he is better than. Then who are at worse the same and you should find yourself with a long list. When I produced my last list I had some names that some thought were wrong (ie ) Nick Leddy he was better than Dion then and now it is abundantly clear.

Here is a link that you can check that has the D man and their current cap hit for this season, make a list but remember to scroll all the way down as at under a Million a year are several that I put as better who are on their ELC.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/

IMHO any one who can rank him as a number 1 does not watch hockey or for that matter a number 2. There are more then 60 D man in the league that are better. I will not be reproducing my list again.

Rankings of players are subject to opinion. Players are ranked all over the place by many different hockey people. One persons opinion is not above all others, even in the professional ranks. To say they don't watch hockey because they don't agree with you...

IMO-Hard to count ELC d-men because if they were not on an ELC, who knows what their contract would be. If Dion was on an ELC it would be a great contract as well. Plus, some guys look really good their first season or two and then tail off.

RLF

May 5, 2014

We know Phaneuf mentored Kadri when he 1st arrived, so it's not a stretch to assume he did it with another high pick especially one that plays the same position.

Ummm, since we know Kadri has had publicized off-ice issues...maybe he is not the best example to show how Dion mentors;)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
[/B]

Rankings of players are subject to opinion. Players are ranked all over the place by many different hockey people. One persons opinion is not above all others, even in the professional ranks. To say they don't watch hockey because they don't agree with you...

IMO-Hard to count ELC d-men because if they were not on an ELC, who knows what their contract would be. If Dion was on an ELC it would be a great contract as well. Plus, some guys look really good their first season or two and then tail off.

The contract that the players have currently is not what my point was when I said to look at the list.....it was to look at the list and list players who you think are better than Dion.

If anyone can rank Dion as a number 1 D man, I do not think they watch a lot of hockey. I also stated IMHO!

Just to be clear watching hockey is not just watching Leaf games....it is watching a lot of other teams play.

RLF

May 5, 2014
The contract that the players have currently is not what my point was when I said to look at the list.....it was to look at the list and list players who you think are better than Dion.

If anyone can rank Dion as a number 1 D man, I do not think they watch a lot of hockey. I also stated IMHO!

I understand the list. My point was the fact they are so young and on ELC's taints it a bit. Dion looked great his first couple of seasons too. Myers, Campbell, Green etc all had great starts to their careers and then tailed off. It's a little pre-mature to claim they are better.imo

I know you put "IMHO!"...you also put "or for that matter a number 2". Point was, saying they don't watch hockey if they don't agree with you, unfortunately takes away from some good points you did make. IMHO!:)

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Amusing thread.

Until someone else steps up......the FACT is, that Dion Phaneuf is our best D-Man, by far.

Enjoy his good play!

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Dion will never be a true #1 D. Can he be a #2 beside a possession monster? It's possible, but I only see him being a negative to his partner unless he doesn't face the other team's best players.
Personally I'd like to see him traded after a good(Or any) season. I can't stand watching countless players drive to the outside on him as he watches them skate right past anymore or him constantly putting clappers into the closest shin pad.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

that is likely. but i don't know if i would just instantly slap on "Dion mentors Morgan" either. again - not everything is reported, but when a player constantly states what he's learned by someone - and it didn't happen before, all I am saying is it wouldn't be my go to thought (or think it's a tight thing). that's all.

Ummm, since we know Kadri has had publicized off-ice issues...maybe he is not the best example to show how Dion mentors;)

This made me laugh, really, really hard.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

:laugh: See what happens once Phaneufs mentorship shifts focus.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Dion is the one guy from this core that I am pulling for. Expectations are high with him and he may never play up to the contract he was offered…. but he's the only guy that I can point to in the dumpster fire that was last season and say that he tried. Well, him, Rielly, Carrick and Sill.

Older defensemen are less of a concern than older forwards. Dion as a #3-4-5 in 5 years could still be a very useful part of the eventual resurgence.

The only time Phaneuf looks good is when there is a dumpster fire going on next to him.

I don't recall Phaneuf was ever a great skater, but will take your word for it as I didn't follow his Calgary days. Given where he is now though, the degradation is staggering. His shot is still pretty hard but inaccurate or unpredictable. I think he is best when playing a simple game at a high compete level.

He was a much better skater than he is today. He had a debilitating hip issue that's apparently tough to recover 100% from. It's probably the reason why Calgary traded him in the first place.

I believe the ultimate goal of Shana-management is to rehabilitate Phaneuf to the point where he is tradeable and can return a piece or two that can help in the future as opposed to simply a contract dump.

Ideally Shanny/Babcock would like to appoint their own captain and the best way to facilitate that is to deal Dion away to create the opening for the job.

Amen!

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

One of the years that Detroit won the cup, Yzerman took the cup to Ottawa to a hospital. This was done with no fan fare or media, and many in the hospital were not made aware until he arrived. This was a factual event, yet because it was not reported through the media it didn't happen. Common sense just isn't as common as it once was.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

How do you know this? I thought this was Colby Armstrong's job.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

He said with his own words that he was tired, not me, yet you want me to believe that he was hurt.

Remember he said he was tired after the season and not during so the need to hide an injury was gone!

No, I'm calling you a fact contortionist.

You're probably right, though, when a player misses practices, leaves games early and visibly labours after contact, he's probably just tired.

I'd like to see that quote anyways, to see how badly you've twisted his words.

Aaaaand my 30 seconds are up.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
No, I'm calling you a fact contortionist.

You're probably right, though, when a player misses practices, leaves games early and visibly labours after contact, he's probably just tired.

I'd like to see that quote anyways, to see how badly you've twisted his words.

Aaaaand my 30 seconds are up.

Truth hurts.....

That took 2 seconds!

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Got a feeling Dion will be playing out his contract with the Leafs, not because he can't be traded, but because he's going to be kept.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Babcock and the Wings have always valued Phaneuf. I don't think they will just trade Dion for the sake of trading him. Lamoriello and Babcock may value him. Lamoriello traded for Stevens at age 28. Stevens really became a better player and leader under the Devils system. I can see the same happening for Dion. This year is a complete reset for all. The slate has been wiped clean. It wouldn't surprise me if Dion proves a lot of naysayers wrong.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dion on Babock plan. Sounds like he is very committed and happy he is here.

“I think that’s a real good plan,” he said. “I’ve talked with Mike about lots of different things. It has been great since he signed, we’ve had some great conversations and talked about (on-ice matters taking precedence).”

“I saw quite a few guys in the summer,” Phaneuf said. “During the year, you get kind of busy with travel. You get to a lot of team dinners, but it’s nice to have guys out at the place to relax. (But) there is always business talk.

“That’s my goal, getting back to the level I know I’m capable of playing at.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/08/maple-leafs-dion-phaneuf-welcomes-mike-babcocks-changes

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

If that makes Dion a liar then so is half the league.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Some comments from the Captain.

“We are not going to leave him hung out to dry,†Babcock told the Sun’s Mike Zeisberger last week. “We are going to make sure Dion gets at least one day off from the media a week. It’s not supposed to be a grindfest.â€

Phaneuf looked relieved when the topic was raised on Tuesday.

“I think that’s a real good plan,†he said. “I’ve talked with Mike about lots of different things. It has been great since he signed, we’ve had some great conversations and talked about (on-ice matters taking precedence).â€

While at his off-season home in P.E.I., Phaneuf spoke to Babcock a few times and he had teammates such as new forward Shawn Matthias for in for a chat about the upcoming season.

“I saw quite a few guys in the summer,†Phaneuf said. “During the year, you get kind of busy with travel. You get to a lot of team dinners, but it’s nice to have guys out at the place to relax. (But) there is always business talk.

“That’s my goal, getting back to the level I know I’m capable of playing at.â€

If the Leafs seek a player eager to take some load from Phaneuf, he was standing right beside him Tuesday at the school gym assembly. This will be Morgan Rielly’s third year on the blue line and if his poise under difficult circumstances as a rookie and sophomore are any indication, he’s ready for bigger things.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/08/maple-leafs-dion-phaneuf-welcomes-mike-babcocks-changes

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: