Dion Phaneuf This Season

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mike Babcock on Dion Phaneuf this upcoming year.

He made a bold prediction. Interesting. But I love Babcock's confidence. Sounds like a fan.

ON DION PHANEUF: The Polarizing One

When it comes to the captain — a man many Leafs fans had hoped would suffer the same fate as Phil Kessel and be shipped out of town — Babcock has a bold prediction about Phaneuf.

“He’s going to have the best year he’s had in a long time,” Babcock confidently said.

Based on what?

“He’s prepared hard all summer. We’re going to help him with his game and he’s going to help us by being the player he’s capable of being. And we’re going to look after him. We’re not leaving him hung out to dry, either on the ice, with the media or in town.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/05/babcock-on-joining-leafs-it-scares-the-crap-out-of-you

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Mike Babcock on Dion Phaneuf this upcoming year.

He made a bold prediction. Interesting. But I love Babcock's confidence. Sounds like a fan.

ON DION PHANEUF: The Polarizing One

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/05/babcock-on-joining-leafs-it-scares-the-crap-out-of-you
hopefully he can play around or better than the 12/13 self. He was a top 15 dmen in the league during that year, and played a very strong game. I'm hoping for 10 plus goals and 30ish assists along with better corsi numbers. If he can regain his skating than he can become an elite player once again

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
hopefully he can play around or better than the 12/13 self. He was a top 15 dmen in the league during that year, and played a very strong game. I'm hoping for 10 plus goals and 30ish assists along with better corsi numbers. If he can regain his skating than he can become an elite player once again

Numbers aside, Babcock nailed it. He's going to protect Dion more this year than he has ever had since he has been here.

I always thought Dion would be better with less emphasis on the C, rather than just play. We are not going to hang him out to dry this year was the telling point by Babcock.

Almost like the Marine saying. Leave no man behind. Babcock effect may have the most positive effect on Dion.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
His best season as a Leaf is arguably the half season where he had 28 points in 48 games. 9 goals in those games shooting at a 10% clip, really good % for a dman. As a Flame it could have been his 2007-2008 season with 60 points in 82 games and 17 goals. Think he played way better defensively in his half season with the Leafs though even though he was a minus -4.

Can we expect a 15 goal, 50+point season while being + in the +/- and still taking all his defensive responsibilities? It's going to be extremely tough for him, especially this year imo. Would be happy if he does it, would bring some respect back for him that's for sure. I'm not holding my breath though.

Expecting a similar year to his 2013-2014 year, maybe even a bit better +/-.

mikebel111*

He isnt nearly as bad as some say he is
Infact I still consider him a #1 d man but more of a low end #1 d man

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Nothing wrong with that, but you'll have to forgive me for not getting excited about our 30 year old defenceman getting his game together in the middle of a long-term rebuild. With how bad the team is likely to be, he'll be hard pressed to look like the 7 million dollar captain he's supposed to be, and if he doesn't it's probably going to be a disaster for him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Riellly's emergence into stardom, and I know this is an "if". But a good bet. Will help Dion immensely. Babcock and Rielly will help Dion.

If you ask me, Dion is still a very good defenceman. He does look after himself in working out in the off season, he is a pro.

Numbers will depend if he is on the #1PP unit. I don't see why not. Perhaps Rielly and Dion on the point.

Overall, it will be interesting how Babcock plans on using him. He is obviously a fan of Dion's, and as I suspected when Babcock came on, plans may have changed on the Shanahan build to now include Dion.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I think Riellly's emergence into stardom, and I know this is an "if". But a good bet. Will help Dion immensely. Babcock and Rielly will help Dion.

If you ask me, Dion is still a very good defenceman. He does look after himself in working out in the off season, he is a pro.

Numbers will depend if he is on the #1PP unit. I don't see why not. Perhaps Rielly and Dion on the point.

Overall, it will be interesting how Babcock plans on using him. He is obviously a fan of Dion's, and as I suspected when Babcock came on, plans may have changed on the Shanahan build to now include Dion.

I agree it could work out for Dion, if Rielly becomes the #1, pushing Dion down to his more comfortable #2 or even 2nd pairing.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Phaneuf's numbers will probably improve if Babcock gives him softer minutes, including easier zone starts and a better defense partner. But there is no way he's suddenly going to regain his skating ability and be anything like what he was in Calgary.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Phaneuf's numbers will probably improve if Babcock gives him softer minutes, including easier zone starts and a better defense partner. But there is no way he's suddenly going to regain his skating ability and be anything like what he was in Calgary.

wow, the bolded sounds seriously sketchy if you ask me

6TH highest D cap hit in the entire league and 26th overall in the league , let that sink in for a minute

now we want to "shelter" and "insulate" him?

who exactly is supposed to and paid to play those "tough" minutes then?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
hopefully rielly breaks out into 45 point player who can play 25 or so minutes, that would take pressure of off dion and give him more time and space to play his game, also hoping gards can play to his full potential too he can easily get between 30-40 points next year and play solid defense, we need to be patient and help these guys out. Hopefully guys like marcinan can step up and play better.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't think Dion will be alone when it comes to the benefit of being coached by Babcock.

I expect he will be better insulated and asked to play in a structured system much more conducive to being more successful and less vulnerable and exposed.

There were rumours circulating that while Dion was earmarked for departure that Babcock wanted a chance to coach him first and see the results.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

6TH highest D cap hit in the entire league and 26th overall in the league , let that sink in for a minute

The best defenders in the league have someone to ease their burden. Phaneuf has been on an island surrounded by rookies and has-beens since he landed in Toronto.

Name a top defenseman in the league. Chances are there is someone on his team that can and does take some of the minutes off him.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
I want Phaneuf to have a good year, but only to make his onerous contract easier to trade away. Also hoping he is stripped of the captaincy opening day, especially after the debacle last season (salutegate middle finger to the fans!). Babcock has a lot of work ahead of him in dealing with Phaneuf, a significant member of the rotten core.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country

Rielly and Gardiner will have to play harder minutes. Phaneuf's had basically the highest QoC and toughest zone starts of any top D over the last few seasons. He hasn't done well with them, so I expect Babcock will want to see if the team is better off spreading the load.

As an example, have a look at Victor Hedman. This season he got much more favourable deployments than the last two ... But funnily enough, his numbers didn't really improve, perhaps since they were already really damn good to begin with.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The best defenders in the league have someone to ease their burden. Phaneuf has been on an island surrounded by rookies and has-beens since he landed in Toronto.

Name a top defenseman in the league. Chances are there is someone on his team that can and does take some of the minutes off him.

did you see dions toi numbers last year?

this is compared to all D last year

they sheltered him big time and gave him tones and tones of gravy time

10th in gravy power play time

31 erst for PK time and a unbelievable

92nd for ES toi

45th in shifts per game

25th for TOI pg , now for our teams #1 D, 6th highest cap hit in the league, it sure looks like they are sheltering and hiding him plenty

he plummeted to 109th among ALL D in even strength point and a very pedestrian 25th in PP even though he had the 10th highest pp TOI.

if you think they can shelter him better or more then that, well good luck with that, is all I have to say about the 7 million dollar fraud

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
that's good. I hope he does.
then we can trade him :)

Or you know, keep him, since not everyone needs to be 22.

Dion is a guy, that if he can get his game back, is very valuable to this team.

We have other assets to deal for draft picks.

If we can have Rielly break out and take control over the D, that moves Dion into a position where he's our #2 guy which is a great spot for him.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

If we can have Rielly break out and take control over the D, that moves Dion into a position where he's our #2 guy which is a great spot for him.

and ducky. again. I know not everyone needs to be 22.

I am sorry. there are a lot of things I do not like about this team and Dion Phaneuf is one of them. I personally feel that the Leafs ultimately can be better without him and his (well as of this year) 6 x7 million dollar contract hanging around.

I think you know me well enough if I am saying trade someone, I'm not going. "trade for all the draft picks." I'm thinking of every possible angle here. (and I will also specify - it doesn't necessarily have to mean for prospects either).

In my estimation and just looking at a lot of other trends - massive roster changes generally happen when moving from a bad team to a good team. Tampa - the most recent example in seven years only has two people that have been a constant. Stamkos and Hedman. Chicago had how many roster changes before they had Towes/Kane? Hell, how much did LA have between Doughty and their cup win (I remember Bernier talking about it an interview).

I will find it extremely hard to believe that when this team starts to be great that the lasting vestiges of our team is going to include 1 Dion Phaneuf.

If he rehabs his game. great. I - personally - don't think it means he's long for this team. rehab his game and try to get a younger (not necessarily a 22 year old or a pick) return that fits in more.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

We have other assets to deal for draft picks? Like who? Bozak and Lupul?

With Kessel gone, trading Dion is our only chance of picking up another 1st (barring players who fit the rebuild timeline).

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
did you see dions toi numbers last year?

this is compared to all D last year

they sheltered him big time and gave him tones and tones of gravy time

10th in gravy power play time

31 erst for PK time and a unbelievable

92nd for ES toi

45th in shifts per game

25th for TOI pg , now for our teams #1 D, 6th highest cap hit in the league, it sure looks like they are sheltering and hiding him plenty

he plummeted to 109th among ALL D in even strength point and a very pedestrian 25th in PP even though he had the 10th highest pp TOI.

if you think they can shelter him better or more then that, well good luck with that, is all I have to say about the 7 million dollar fraud

That's.. That's not how sheltering works. If you only play 15 minutes a night but all 15 minutes are against Crosby's line, you're not being sheltered. Likewise if you play half the game but 25 minutes of that are against 3rd/4th liners, you're not carrying much.

Dion has faced the toughest competition among D several of the past few years. His top 10 opponents by ice time include Crosby Ovechkin and Zetterberg. There's no reasonable argument to call him sheltered when he's the exact opposite. Ineffective in his minutes? Sure.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
that's good. I hope he does.
then we can trade him :)

Yup....totally on board with this. Hope he will be the best he can be and we can trade him for something without taking back salary (probably the only way he can currently be traded). That will be good for him and better for the team.

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That's.. That's not how sheltering works. If you only play 15 minutes a night but all 15 minutes are against Crosby's line, you're not being sheltered. Likewise if you play half the game but 25 minutes of that are against 3rd/4th liners, you're not carrying much.

Dion has faced the toughest competition among D several of the past few years. His top 10 opponents by ice time include Crosby Ovechkin and Zetterberg. There's no reasonable argument to call him sheltered when he's the exact opposite. Ineffective in his minutes? Sure.

TTWD, I was rebutting against the claim that he needs even more sheltering and easement, he was

37th in QOC among all D men with 40+ gps last year , he was sheltered last year and now some folks are saying he needs even more? Ta H#ELL with that I say.

again I ask,

how much MORE sheltering does our supposed #1 D, highest paid player and 6th highest D cap hit need?

or should we just throw the kids to the wolves while the 7 million dollar fraud cruises on easy street?

I say, "dion you and your camp demanded the 5th highest D cap hit in the entire NHL, well kiddo, now get your arse out there and earn it"

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad