Dion Phaneuf This Season

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think what will happen is that Dion will have one or two massive hits per game and everyone will be on his bandwagon again.

Going to be interesting to see what happens to him, and quite frankly unless he puts in a Norris like season, I doubt any team would want his contract. Just look at how much Calgary signed Giordano for.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm just saying, if your expecting Phaneuf to be traded, you'll be disappointed.

Babcock has clearly identified he's a guy he wants to work with, and a guy that he wants to keep around.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Ahmen to that:handclap:

and I soooooooooo knew that movie was going to be your new AVI;)

:laugh: it does suit me doesn't it.

again. if the discussion is -
"Is Dion better than what most of Leafs Nation sees him as." then I'd argue yes.

If we're going to have an argument of "should Dion be penned in future plans past year three" I would really argue to the negative on that. I have my reasons, and people can call them dumb or whatnot, and that's fine.

In all honesty i think there are a lot more that have to go right, for Dion to work and stay here. vs. simply improving on his game and not look worse than his contract and we offload it .

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

"Is Dion better than what most of Leafs Nation sees him as." then I'd argue yes.

If we're going to have an argument of "should Dion be penned in future plans past year three" I would really argue to the negative on that. I have my reasons, and people can call them dumb or whatnot, and that's fine.

In all honesty i think there are a lot more that have to go right, for Dion to work and stay here. vs. simply improving on his game and not look worse than his contract and we offload it .

meh, the only value I see in the fraud is babs can somewhat repair his rep and sweet lou can pull off some magic and get his butt out of here with minimal sal retention.

along with bozo and the tin man, I want all these ridiculously bad contracts gone

I want to see some fiscal sanity and respect brought back to this organisation.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

When have I ever called any of your thoughts/ideas dumb? Come one Daisy, you know I respect your opinion on a very high standard.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
When have I ever called any of your thoughts/ideas dumb? Come one Daisy, you know I respect your opinion on a very high standard.

LOL not you Cor. just in general "people" I didn't mean to make you think I meant you so sorry if you did.

it's sort of like the Franson thing. I just had a feeling that it would be a big mistake to extend him for oodles of money. I know his numbers and you can argue either way..I could only sum it up as a feeling and people were all like that's a dumb reason not to sign someone

and look at where we are - almost camp time and no contract for Franny any where

I see this sort of like the same thing. I - personally, am tired of Dion. I just simply can't with him, and I know all of the things in regards to his play and just.. how the last few seasons imploded and he's basically imploded with it - i think it would just make more sense for him to go.

I know that Babcock wants to make him his pet project this season (and even further than that) but at the same time I'm not sure if that will really mean much. if it's time for him to go, he should go.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm just saying, if your expecting Phaneuf to be traded, you'll be disappointed.

Babcock has clearly identified he's a guy he wants to work with, and a guy that he wants to keep around.

Come on, man, you know that any decent offer comes the Leafs way and he's gone. They don't want his 7 mil cap hit on their books in ~ 4 years when they are ready to possibly make a run for it. I am sure a 34 year old Phaneuf with a 7 mil cap hit will not be a total liability:sarcasm: If Phaneuf was 25, then I'd believe the notion that Babs wants to keep him around, but he's not. The only way he is not traded at some point is if nobody is interested. I think the Leafs want to move him, for sure, at least I hope they do.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Come on, man, you know that any decent offer comes the Leafs way and he's gone. They don't want his 7 mil cap hit on their books in ~ 4 years when they are ready to possibly make a run for it. I am sure a 34 year old Phaneuf with a 7 mil cap hit will not be a total liability:sarcasm: If Phaneuf was 25, then I'd believe the notion that Babs wants to keep him around, but he's not. The only way he is not traded at some point is if nobody is interested. I think the Leafs want to move him, for sure, at least I hope they do.

Leafs had a good offer at the deadline.

Yet. Here we are

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Leafs had a good offer at the deadline.

Yet. Here we are

We don't know that. We know what they allegedly wanted, but we don't know if an actual offer was made towards the Leafs. I am sure if it was a good offer, he'd be gone. Come on now. I don't believe for a second that this current management does not want to shed his salary.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I hope Phaneuf looks good enough in this new system so that when he's traded we don't have to retain salary. We already have to with Kessel, I'd rather not hold a fraction of Phaneufs contract for the next 5-6 years.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
I believe Babcock will stabilize his game and bring back his offense. I guess we will keep him for 3-4 years until we have to make a decision on him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Or you know, keep him, since not everyone needs to be 22.

Dion is a guy, that if he can get his game back, is very valuable to this team.

We have other assets to deal for draft picks.

If we can have Rielly break out and take control over the D, that moves Dion into a position where he's our #2 guy which is a great spot for him.

I agree with you. Chara was 29 when he signed with Boston. He was 34 when the Bruins won the cup.

Neidermayer was 33 when he signed with Anaheim and was 34 when they won the cup.

Heck, Lidstrom was 38 when he won his last cup.

I find it peculiar why if Dion excels under Babcock, and shows he can be better and a more valuable D man under him that We should trade him.

The illogic on this premise confounds me?

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
I agree with you. Chara was 29 when he signed with Boston. He was 34 when the Bruins won the cup.

Neidermayer was 33 when he signed with Anaheim and was 34 when they won the cup.

Heck, Lidstrom was 38 when he won his last cup.

I find it peculiar why if Dion excels under Babcock, and shows he can be better and a more valuable D man under him that We should trade him.

The illogic on this premise confounds me?

Because he is 10 years or so apart from the current core, and he is no Lidström or Chara or Niedermayer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Because he is 10 years or so apart from the current core.

How do we know what the core will be when this team becomes a contender?

When Anaheim won the cup, Pronger and Niedermayer were 10+ years apart from Getzlaf and Perry.

Further, we do not know what the plan is, as the plan changes as per what Shanahan has said.

We could have Stamkos next year. The core could be 22-27-and 30 somethings.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
How do we know what the core will be when this team becomes a contender?

When Anaheim won the cup, Pronger and Niedermayer were 10 years apart from Getzlaf and Perry.

Further, we do not know what the plan is, as the plan changes as per what Shanahan has said.

We could have Stamkos next year. The core could be 22-27-and 30 somethings.

I edited my post to mention he is not in their tier and don't expect to have the same effect they had.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I edited my post to mention he is not in their tier and don't expect to have the same effect they had.

If Dion is indeed at his best under Babcock. We haven't seen what he can do. Then How do you know what impact he will have on this team? Seabrook was 30 when Chicago won the cup. If you do not want to use the other examples I cited. Is he heads and shoulders better than Dion? Is Seabrook not a core player for Chicago?

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I hope Phaneuf looks good enough in this new system so that when he's traded we don't have to retain salary. We already have to with Kessel, I'd rather not hold a fraction of Phaneufs contract for the next 5-6 years.

A team can only retain salary on 3 trades at any time. Leafs would not want to retain salary on yet another long term contract after the Kessel trade as this would quite limit their flexibility to make use of this trade tool going forward. It becomes quite important to make the hoped for Phaneuf trade without salary retention. Can he perform well enough to make that happen....I have my doubts but one can hope or maybe the coach is really that good.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Again. I have to say this.

Babcock is many things. I don 't know if he can take someone and make them into a hall of famer. thinking he can do that for Dion is spock eyebrow raising .

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga

Babcock is many things. I don 't know if he can take someone and make them into a hall of famer. thinking he can do that for Dion is spock eyebrow raising .

I think the idea is having the Leafs play a team game, which would include forwards putting a bigger effort defensively, rather than have skilled individuals score goals and ignore their defensive zone responsibilities.

Offensively this team is going to suck really bad. Defensively they will probably also suck, but if you manage to get players to buy into a system and put the team needs ahead of personal stat padding they should be able to make our defense as a whole look a lot better than previous years.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

And this is why I posted the OP. Babcock is confident that Dion will have his best year. Though I like how you played that statement safe by prefacing HOF. No one claimed this.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

What else is Babcock supposed to say in this situation? They couldn't move Phaneuf, so Babcock will have to do his best to turn Phaneuf into the best player he can. Babs has to be confident in his words about Phaneuf to the media because otherwise that will be used against them like Babcock wants Dion gone, creating a controversy before the season even starts.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What else is Babcock supposed to say in this situation? They couldn't move Phaneuf, so Babcock will have to do his best to turn Phaneuf into the best player he can. Babs has to be confident in his words about Phaneuf to the media because otherwise that will be used against them like Babcock wants Dion gone, creating a controversy before the season even starts.

I can see it both ways. It puts pressure on Dion and himself and sure what is he going to say? But its the way he said it that is impressive. It's Babcock, and I don't think of him as a hyperbolic person. Perhaps calculating belief?

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
If Dion is indeed at his best under Babcock. We haven't seen what he can do. Then How do you know what impact he will have on this team? Seabrook was 30 when Chicago won the cup. If you do not want to use the other examples I cited. Is he heads and shoulders better than Dion? Is Seabrook not a core player for Chicago?

He would help the team no doubt, but at some point his trade value will be at its peak and he may help the team more in a trade (long-term) than on the ice.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

Babcock might like Phaneuf and want to keep him around, but he knew when he signed on that management would be rebuilding. Even if Babcock wants to keep Phaneuf, Lou might very well step in and say that a deal they got offered for him fits the Leafs plans better.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I can see it both ways. It puts pressure on Dion and himself and sure what is he going to say? But its the way he said it that is impressive. It's Babcock, and I don't think of him as a hyperbolic person. Perhaps calculating belief?

Babcock has a way with words .. On on hand it's reaffirming to Dion that Babcock believes in him but it absolutely puts pressure on Dion at the same time ... Wouldn't be surprised to see Dion show up to camp in the best shape we've seen in years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad