Dion Phaneuf - "There is a Trade Market for Him" (Dreger)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Sutter did go on to make a number of puzzling trades before he was let go. Maybe in the end being a smart hockey guy does not necessitate a good GM?

Well he invested some of the Dion money to resign Giordano so that was a smart move, but he also gave Stajan a rather big contract...

Sutter didn't want to rebuild and so he wasn't looking for a pkg of youth/prospects and picks . He got what he thought was a solid return in roster players to help keep him competitive but taking roster pieces from bottom end teams usually doesn't end well .

Yeah, he wanted to push the Flames into the playoffs so was more interested in roster players. But it was not just Dion he traded away, he added Sjostrom and Aulie to. And according to Burke the deal was dependent on Sutter adding Aulie. Makes no sense at all.

But I guess, when a player is not working out neither on the ice or in the room then he have to go, simple as that. Does not matter how much potential he have really, when it is time it is time.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'm not sure what he would have been worth as a rental. You're the one who says we should have traded him, what do you think we could have got for him?

Well if he's more valuable signed and he's as good as some keep saying then it should be easy to reap a huge haul .

I would have shopped him and taken the best offer available .

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dion's seasons as a Leaf, best to worst:

2012-13: 48gms, 9gls, 28pts, 25:11 (82gms, 15gls, 48pts) - 9th in Dman scoring
2011-12: 82gms, 12gls, 44pts, 25:17 (82gms, 12gls, 44pts) - 11th in Dman scoring
2014-15: 22gms, 1gls, 11pts, 23:12 (82gms, 4gls, 41pts)
2010-11: 66gms, 8gls, 30pts, 25:18 (82gms, 10gls, 37pts)
2013-14: 80gms, 8gls, 31pts, 23:34 (82gms, 8gls, 32pts)

guy just had an off year last year, is all.

Last edited:

hockeyfanz*

Sutter didn't want to rebuild and so he wasn't looking for a pkg of youth/prospects and picks . He got what he thought was a solid return in roster players to help keep him competitive but taking roster pieces from bottom end teams usually doesn't end well .

In a recent interview, Burke said he gave up a lot to acquire Phaneuf. Stajan, White, Hagman and Mayers. Mayers was junk...but at that time the other 3 players were serviceable NHL players. White was maybe the best of the bunch. They have all faded into oblivion now. Not even sure what happened to Hagman.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
In a recent interview, Burke said he gave up a lot to acquire Phaneuf. Stajan, White, Hagman and Mayers. Mayers was junk...but at that time the other 3 players were serviceable NHL players. White was maybe the best of the bunch. They have all faded into oblivion now. Not even sure what happened to Hagman.

The Burkster just making more excuses for why he was a failure here .

hockeyfanz*

The Burkster just making more excuses for why he was a failure here .

Yeah..was never a fan of him or his work in Toronto. I don't know why people think he did a good job till this day. The prospect pool is not really that good considering how bad his teams were and the actual roster has performed pretty much the same way it did before he arrived. Like crap.

hockeyfanz*

2013 Norris Trophy Voting

Weber 49 (9th)
Phaneuf 28 (11th)

Is that Dion's career best other than his Calgary days where he finished 4th once in Norris voting? Weber is in the mix every year. Same with Doughty and Keith and Chara.

I wish people would stop insinuating that Phaneuf is in this group. Would go a long way in accepting him as a decent defenceman rather than the stud that you and others try to portray him as.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
don't really care how they're ranked ahead of dion but to use the norris trophy votes that are voted by sports writers of all things for a barometer is lame. it would be a little more interesting if scouts and gms ranked players rather than the media.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well if he's more valuable signed and he's as good as some keep saying then it should be easy to reap a huge haul .

I would have shopped him and taken the best offer available .

So basically you're saying you wanted to be rid of him at any price?

I know you're not going to agree with this but I believe he has more value now that he signed. Yes even at 7 million per.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
don't really care how they're ranked ahead of dion but to use the norris trophy votes that are voted by sports writers of all things for a barometer is lame. it would be a little more interesting if scouts and gms ranked players rather than the media.

Leafs fans on a Leafs forum are a much better barometer.

GMs voting would be a conflict of interest

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
2013 Norris Trophy Voting

Weber 49 (9th)
Phaneuf 28 (11th)

Just a bit of context here. Number 3 had over 900 pts. Top 2 had over 1200 pts.

I just found the full results:
#|Player|Team|Pts|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th
8|Weber Shea|NSH|49|0|1|4|5|7
11|Phaneuf Dion|TOR|28|0|1|1|4|4

Norris voting is useless for ranking precisely for that reason. No one votes for non-finalists.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is that Dion's career best other than his Calgary days where he finished 4th once in Norris voting? Weber is in the mix every year. Same with Doughty and Keith and Chara.

I wish people would stop insinuating that Phaneuf is in this group. Would go a long way in accepting him as a decent defenceman rather than the stud that you and others try to portray him as.

There is no portraying.

Dion is what he is. A #1 D-man, that isn't elite. He's in the 12-18 range for d-men.

I don't think anyone would say he is Elite like Weber, Keith and Doughty. He's a tier below them

hockeyfanz*

Leafs fans on a Leafs forum are a much better barometer.

GMs voting would be a conflict of interest

LOL..more garbage from extremely biased "voters". Dion is never an all-star..gets no serious consideration for the National team, is voted by peers as most over-rated player, has finished as high as 4th once in his career in Norris voting and above all...led this team in monumental collapses for three consecutive years. Yet here we are debating whether he should be considered amongst the best in the game. Or even more brilliant, the posters who come out with the defense that the "realists" are in full froth. Like a frappaccino from Starbucks. :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There is no portraying.

Dion is what he is. A #1 D-man, that isn't elite. He's in the 12-18 range for d-men.

I don't think anyone would say he is Elite like Weber, Keith and Doughty. He's a tier below them

Because no one says it doesn't mean no one reads it.
Reading comprehension is a lost art.

Amazing the tears that are shed over something no one ever states.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
There is no portraying.

If Dion could find the same offence he had early in his career, than he'd probably be in their tier, problem is his shot his atrocious and his offensive abilities are limited. What the heck happened to his shot, that is the question.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Dion could find the same offence he had early in his career, than he'd probably be in their tier, problem is his shot his atrocious and his offensive abilities are limited. What the heck happened to his shot, that is the question.

Early in his career, he didn't focus on defense at all.

We need to find him a partner (someone like Seabrook would be great), that can cover if Phaneuf wants to get involved offensively.

Phaneuf will never get signicant Norris consideration, because it's all based on points now.

Erik Karlsson is horrendous at defense, yet he somehow won the trophy for the best defensemen. Subban, although better defensively, only won the Norris due to point totals.

Drew Doughty said it. He doesn't care if he is in Norris contention, because it's all about points now, and he'd rather give up some offense and play D for the team, rather than just go for the points for himself too get a trophy.

Me personally? I wouldn't trade Phaneuf straight up for Erik Karlsson.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Another $7m pylon?

Jim-Halpert-The-Office.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway