News Article: Dion Phaneuf plays against toughest competition

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This is obvious to anyone who has an IQ above 30. Phaneuf does anything and everything for the Leafs on the ice.

This town possesses very little hockey knowledge. Plain and simple.

Obvious that Dion played the minutes poorly is very obvious to any person who has a heart beat and eyes....never mind an IQ!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Obvious that Dion played the minutes poorly is very obvious to any person who has a heart beat and eyes....never mind an IQ!

Simply not true... hyperbole is not your friend.

Q: Name me one defenceman who played as many difficult defensive minutes as Dion and scored as often as Dion?

A: NO ONE played as many difficult defensive minutes as Dion and scored as many points. NO ONE

I'm guessing from your statement that means you don't have a heartbeat? :shakehead

So myopic nation, yes Dion makes mistakes... WOW what a shock... this is a shocker ..brace yourself... EVERY defenceman does...even the stars, Weber makes mistakes, Chara makes mistakes, Subban makes mistakes and on and on and on. Hyperbole Nation yes Dion stunk it up the last month and no that does not make him the worst defence man in the league...it simply means he had a bad month..he is not teh first star to have a bad month and he wont be the last. Bean counter nation, yes Dion makes a ridiculous amount of money but that is only an issue if it becomes a cap problem, which its not. Causation/Correlation Nation... just because Gunnar had a good year this year does not mean HE is the reason why Dion plays at an elite level ...

So in the end haters gonna hate and I personally dont care if you ever visit reality.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Q: Name me one defenceman who played as many difficult defensive minutes as Dion and scored as often as Dion?

A: NO ONE played as many difficult defensive minutes as Dion and scored as many points. NO ONE

I'm guessing from your statement that means you don't have a heartbeat? :shakehead

So myopic nation, yes Dion makes mistakes... WOW what a shock... this is a shocker ..brace yourself... EVERY defenceman does...even the stars, Weber makes mistakes, Chara makes mistakes, Subban makes mistakes and on and on and on. Hyperbole Nation yes Dion stunk it up the last month and no that does not make him the worst defence man in the league...it simply means he had a bad month..he is not teh first star to have a bad month and he wont be the last. Bean counter nation, yes Dion makes a ridiculous amount of money but that is only an issue if it becomes a cap problem, which its not. Causation/Correlation Nation... just because Gunnar had a good year this year does not mean HE is the reason why Dion plays at an elite level ...

So in the end haters gonna hate and I personally dont care if you ever visit reality.

Did you also realize that

no one played the 2nd most difficult mins as Gunner and put up as many points . no one

and he did this while making less than half what Dion made .

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Did you also realize that

no one played the 2nd most difficult mins as Gunner and put up as many points . no one

and he did this while making less than half what Dion made .

WOW ... and Dion is to thank for that... WOW... Dion is the best... :yo: WOW

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Phaneuf just causes too much bickering amongst fans, best to just cut tbe cancer out and be done with him once and for all.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Me visit reality.....when it is you that fails to see the net result of his play.....and its affect on the team. He lead the league for most goals against while on the ice.....

Dion out scored Gunnar by 3 whole points while playing even strength yet was on the ice for 23 goals more against than Gunnar this season.

Dion was 51th in even strength points in the NHL and you want us to believe that he lead the lead in scoring for D man while playing against the other teams top players....time for you to prove what you said! As I say it simply is not true.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Me visit reality.....when it is that fails to see the net result of his play.....and its affect on the team. He lead the league for most goals against while on the ice.....

Yes you fail to see the net result of his play, multiple times you fail.:shakehead

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Dion should also be thanking Gunnarsson for making him an extra 1-3 million dollars/year because without him Phaneuf would have been exposed more than he already has been.

Absolutely that is the reason, yep..that is the reason.. yep... :facepalm:

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Riddle me this Blueline. Name your 6 other top dmen in the league and let's compare the minor penalties to Dions.

He also took the most penalties while playing those those tough minutes. Hooking, slashing and holding you're way through them does not deserve praise

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Hyperbole nation is strong in you young jedi.

I thought i was being conservative to be honest . He was roughly a -20 when we went to 7 D and he wasn't paired full time with Gunner and that was well under half the season . So if you go by that he'd be well over a -40 if you expand it over 82 games .

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yes you fail to see the net result of his play, multiple times you fail.:shakehead

You stated that you had stats to prove that Dion was our best Defensive D man, and you were proven wrong, now it is Just Gunnar had a good year. I have posted stats that back up my opinion which are facts, you have only posted an opinion not supported by facts.

Dion was better when playing with Gunnar and Gunnar was better playing away from Dion.

Why not admit that you were wrong?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
He's too busy hunting for dmen with high minor penalty totals he can classify as top 6.

Hint, there are none

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He's too busy hunting for dmen with high minor penalty totals he can classify as top 6.

Hint, there are none
Aren't Doughty and Subban top 10 in minor penalties? Chara was at the top of the list last year.

Phaneuf takes too many penalties, but there are some other very good d-men who could cut down there minors as well.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Aren't Doughty and Subban top 10 in minor penalties? Chara was at the top of the list last year.

Phaneuf takes too many penalties, but there are some other very good d-men who could cut down there minors as well.

I find it hard to argue or defend any player on this team when you've made the playoffs once since 2008.
Even your Marlies rookies are getting more playoff experience than your core players.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Minor penalty minutes

Phaneuf: 94

Subban: 76

Doughty: 64

The 20 more points from Subban and +16 higher rating from Doughty.......

Not to mention they are both playing in the 2nd round. Something Dion has never experienced

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I find it hard to argue or defend any player on this team when you've made the playoffs once since 2008.
Even your Marlies rookies are getting more playoff experience than your core players.
My post is not so much about Phaneuf as it is the assumption that top defensemen are never high on the minor penalty list.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Say what you will about Dion, but he's consistent. Last season, among the 203 defensemen who played at least 300 minutes 5-on-5, Dion was 5th last in FF% at 42.2%. This season, out of the 200 defensemen who played 500 minutes (adjusting for season length), Dion finished... 5th last, with 41.3%.

Maybe next season he can work on cracking the top 150.

It's funny too, when Grabo struggled with tough minutes with random linemates, he still kept up a better FF% than Bozak, Lupul, Kulemin or McClement... and then was bought out for his troubles. Now when Dion struggles with tough minutes, putting up the worst possession numbers on the team and close to the worst in the league, he gets a huge contract extension instead.

Last edited:

RickyVaive

Jul 6, 2013
I can't believe anyone is trying to justify why the Leafs burdened themselves with a $7 million pylon. Did you guys see him disappear the last (and most important) 20 games of the season. Captain Choke. Trade him for head lice and it's still a good deal.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Minor penalty minutes

Not to mention they are both playing in the 2nd round. Something Dion has never experienced

Could also add that Dion plays 23:33 minutes per game and Subban a minute more with 24:36 and Doughty over two minutes more with 25:42 minutes per game.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Minor penalty minutes

Great job showing Phaneuf had the most minors and two top tier defenseman also need to cut down their minor penalty minutes.

Phaneuf lead the league in minor pims, nobody else will be as high as him, bu it's incorrect to suggest no top tier defensemen are high on that list.

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I can't believe anyone is trying to justify why the Leafs burdened themselves with a $7 million pylon. Did you guys see him disappear the last (and most important) 20 games of the season. Captain Choke. Trade him for head lice and it's still a good deal.

I don't expect a captain to necessarily put the whole team on his back and carry them throught every rough patch, but Phaneuf was as at least as responsible(probably more) for the collapses than anyone else.

When the going gets tough, he's awful and kills any chance of getting it together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad