Dion Phaneuf. | Part ?? | "There is definitely interest" - Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Trying to catch up to this thread and the opinions of Phaneuf and his value.

Tell me, if Toronto retained 1.0 million of his cap hit would a trade around Seidenberg and a prospect (Spooner or Khokhlachev for example, NHL ready centermen) be of interest?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

Tell me, if Toronto retained 1.0 million of his cap hit would a trade around Seidenberg and a prospect (Spooner or Khokhlachev for example, NHL ready centermen) be of interest?

We'd want high-potential prospects or 1sts, so no

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto

Seidenberg is decent but we want to get younger, this team is tanking hard.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
We need Phaneuf back to ensure we won't break this losing streak. He has captained us through many epic collapses before. He's a veteran. It will be a new challenge for him to extend this losing streak but I believe in him. He is after all possibly the worst captain this franchise has ever seen. Who better to lead us in this time of need.

We can't afford to give our good defensemen like Morgan Rielly more ice time. It might give us a chance to win.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We do need Phaneuf back. We should be allowing more than 20 shots per game...I'm starting to get worried about our shot differential here.

Phaneuf back guarantees 1:1 shooting at worst.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Phaneuf wasn't playing well before the injury, and Leafs weren't scoring either. I dropped him for Klingberg in my pool. Loving the move.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Phaneuf is a better dman than Kaberle. Just to put things into perspective, Kaberle fetched a 1st, an A prospect, and a 2nd round pick. It is reasonable to expect that Phaneuf would fetch more than what the Leafs got for Kaberle.

First of all, the notion that Phaneuf is better than Kaberle was when he was traded is your *opinion* it's not a fact.

But more important when discussing the value that Kaberle was able to return is the contract each player had. Phaneuf, with a seven year seven million per season contract becomes much much less desirable in terms of being an asset someone would like to acquire.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
First of all, the notion that Phaneuf is better than Kaberle was when he was traded is your *opinion* it's not a fact.

But more important when discussing the value that Kaberle was able to return is the contract each player had. Phaneuf, with a seven year seven million per season contract becomes much much less desirable in terms of being an asset someone would like to acquire.

The opinion that Phaneuf is better than Kaberle (when we traded him) is about as close to a fact as an opinion can get. I would actually call it an understatement.

The second part I agree with. IMHO it is about a year too long and about a million too much. I guess it's his captaincy bonus.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
The point Ferris was trying to make was about the cap hit though. Doesn't matter it's a fact that Phaneuf is better than Kaberle when he was traded because he has a very undesirable contract which is also a fact.

So he's not necessarily more tradable than Kaberle was.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
If we can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick and maybe a prospect I'd be happy particularly if the other team was willing to eat his entire salary. For me, ditching that contract is way more important than the return because that gives the leafs the flexibility to sign a UFA who could be way better and it doesn't have to be now it could be a few years down the road. They need to get their cap under control because right now its a mess.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
If we can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick and maybe a prospect I'd be happy particularly if the other team was willing to eat his entire salary. For me, ditching that contract is way more important than the return because that gives the leafs the flexibility to sign a UFA who could be way better and it doesn't have to be now it could be a few years down the road. They need to get their cap under control because right now its a mess.

My expectation is that if another team was willing to eat Phaneuf's entire salary, the return would be miniscule or nothing.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Phaneufs return will depend greatly on wether the other GM believes Phaneuf can regain his old form.

Best thing for Leafs would be for Phaneuf to come back get a couple goals and a big hit and hopefully a desperate GM bites hard. Of course we would need players to go to the net and back check so he could stand up at a blue line. So in other words it's not going to happen.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
I don't think the Leafs have missed Phaneuf at all since his injury. Rielly, for whatever reason, finally decided to take charge of the game. Maybe Phaneuf has been telling Rielly to hold back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad