Dion Phaneuf. | Part ?? | "There is definitely interest" - Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
3. Ignore the circumstances under which his contract was signed.

What does that have to do with anything? He could have signed it leaving 3 million per year on the table and "settling" for 7x7. That doesn't make it a better/worse signing right now or in the future.

Ok, let's ignore these circumstances. Who does he compare to?

I honestly can't think of a good comparable for Phaneuf right now.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Anaheim is 17th in the league for GAA. Last five SC winners were ranked 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, and 6th for GAA in the league. They also have capspace and a wealth of young talent to move in trades.

I could see them being interested in Phaneuf. I dont even mind retaining salary, as long as it gets us a good return. The gap between the capfloor and capceiling is like 13M or so right now? Thats only going to get larger, so if we're retaining 1M on Phaneuf, we'd still be able to spend more against the cap than 80-90% of the teams in the league.

And if we're rebuilding, we should have plenty of capspace anyways for 4-5+ years, as guys start playing through their ELC/RFA contracts. We should be retaining salary and/or taking back bad capdumps as much as possible if it makes a big difference in the trade returns. Because ultimately this team for the next 5-15 years is going to be impacted more by those trade returns, than it will be by taking back a capdump for 2-4 years, or retaining ~1M in salary for 5-6 years.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
If you move Phaneuf do you keep Franson?

Part of me feels like letting Franson go will bite us unless we get a 1st back or something high

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

Part of me feels like letting Franson go will bite us unless we get a 1st back or something high

I like Franson, but it's just bad timing for him to re-signed long term. I think he has more value bringing back draft picks.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
What does that have to do with anything? He could have signed it leaving 3 million per year on the table and "settling" for 7x7. That doesn't make it a better/worse signing right now or in the future.

Sheldon Souray - lite.

YOYOTCROSTER*

If Clarkson is sent to minors or pressbox because he is deemed no longer nhl playable then what relief does CBA have for situations like these. Even Richards in LA same issue. There must be outs for the teams for unfortunate situations like these. I am not saying stop paying these guys but nhl teams can't be shut down because of a few bad signings. Especially the Leafs.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
If Clarkson is sent to minors or pressbox because he is deemed no longer nhl playable then what relief does CBA have for situations like these. Even Richards in LA same issue. There must be outs for the teams for unfortunate situations like these. I am not saying stop paying these guys but nhl teams can't be shut down because of a few bad signings. Especially the Leafs.

Why not? There has to be some sort of consequence for bad deals. Not every team can afford to spend to the max.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

If you honestly have to ask that question then I don't have the patience or time to explain it to you. This is basic stuff.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If you honestly have to ask that question then I don't have the patience or time to explain it to you. This is basic stuff.

It is basic stuff. It still has no bearing on comparing him to players right now. So the fact that the leafs were "forced" to sign Phaneuf to 7 UFA years for a huge sum of money changes the fact that he is playing like a 3-4 million dollar D right now, and likely the duration of the contract, until he is done, how?

So you're telling me he can't be compared to other guys in his pay range, nor his actual skill counterparts because of why and how he was signed?

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012

I sense/think the same...but this might be precisely the time to get rid of as much of our present value for the benefit of maximizing future gain. You're right though, we really need to get something monumental for him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It is basic stuff. It still has no bearing on comparing him to players right now. So the fact that the leafs were "forced" to sign Phaneuf to 7 UFA years for a huge sum of money changes the fact that he is playing like a 3-4 million dollar D right now, and likely the duration of the contract, until he is done, how?

So you're telling me he can't be compared to other guys in his pay range, nor his actual skill counterparts because of why and how he was signed?
He is telling you thinks are basic....yet he keeps over valuing Dion....Dion is not a 7M a year d man and fits much better in the 5m a year group...

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He is telling you thinks are basic....yet he keeps over valuing Dion....Dion is not a 7M a year d man and fits much better in the 5m a year group...

I don't buy it. 5 million Dman can hit the net.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

you spout off to others like you have a clue about this contract and frankly, you just don't

you don't get it one little bit

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Keep saying it.... 30 NHL GMs would disagree.

Surprised you haven't invoked plus/minus yet.

I highly doubt 30 NHL GM's would disagree. He is overpaid for what he brings, we will more than likely find out who's right. He is a 2nd pairing dman at best and getting worse as time goes on. He is slow and his offensive instincts are almost extinct.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
I wonder if Phaneuf would be more offensively productive with a different #1 line? I'm not sure how often he plays with other forward lines compared to the 1st line, but I question how effective a rush like like JVR-Bozak-Kessel is at including defenceman in their scoring. If you think about how their offence occurs a lot of the time, you wonder if maybe the fact that the defence often don't have enough time to get involved in the play (they're defending deep in the zone) when that line is on the ice hurts their overall numbers. Phaneuf despite only having 22 pts has 12 PPP, which is pretty solid and indicates he's been reasonably productive when he has time to set himself in the offensive zone (this streak and his injury time notwithstanding).

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
If Dion or Gardiner is moved than Franson is resigned. I would rather give Franson 6yrs at 5mill and let him be a leader. I would say he is more vocal and a leader than Dion is.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If Dion or Gardiner is moved than Franson is resigned. I would rather give Franson 6yrs at 5mill and let him be a leader. I would say he is more vocal and a leader than Dion is.

I think this would be a big mistake, i just dont think Franson is worth it.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I think this would be a big mistake, i just dont think Franson is worth it.

Guys on this board have to get over the numbers these players make. Fact is, it is what the market will pay and he will be worth that on the open market. Any player you find to play that position will cost you as much. I would say I would rather have him for that price than Dion.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The market was paying Clarkson more than he signed with us, does it mean its a worthwhile deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad