Dion Phaneuf. | Part ?? | "There is definitely interest" - Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Can we just ****ing ditch this loser already. Our D looks the exact same without him.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
oh, we don't see eye to eye on this matter cor

I believe the market has dion at a minimum of 1m cap over his true value.

argue the details of what CBA it was inked under all ya want

but right now the facts on the ground are

he carries the 6th highest cap hit among all D in the league

his standing among the other top D is not even close to top 6

when one looks at upcoming D , contract timelines , I don't see dions cap hit getting knocked out of the top 15 for a very long time , by then dion will be a shell of what he is now

dions cap hit will never ever fall inline with what he is as a player at that time and where he ranks in the league for quality of D and value of impact.

at a 5.75m ish cap hit right now, from another teams stand point ,they would be getting proper bang/for cap hit buck.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
oh, we don't see eye to eye on this matter cor

I believe the market has dion at a minimum of 1m cap over his true value.

argue the details of what CBA it was inked under all ya want

but right now the facts on the ground are

he carries the 6th highest cap hit among all D in the league

his standing among the other top D is not even close to top 6

when one looks at upcoming D , contract timelines , I don't see dions cap hit getting knocked out of the top 15 for a very long time , by then dion will be a shell of what he is now

dions cap hit will never ever fall inline with what he is as a player at that time and where he ranks in the league for quality of D and value of impact.

at a 5.75m ish cap hit right now, from another teams stand point ,they would be getting proper bang/for cap hit buck.

While I can respect that you laid out your opinion, what you aren't taking into account is that he was signed under the new CBA, and not the old. This takes into account everything from the inability to circumvent the cap, as well as the rise of the cap under the new agreement.

Dion IS at market value, whether you can accept this or not. When players like Cody Franson are going to market, and are expecting 6x5 (or around that), then Dion at 7 is what you get. What you really need to do to determine his market value is look at all top 4 D-men, who were signed as UFA's after the lockout. Should give you your answer.

His cap hit will easily be getting knocked down in the upcoming years.

Last edited:

LaCarriere

Mike Richards contract for Dion's makes some sense.

If LA sweetened the pot with a 1st rd pick this draft, I would take the chance Richards will work his way back into the NHL. Both are the same age, and both have long deals. The pick is the bait.

The rumor was LA offered to swap Richards for Phaneuf, and Toronto wanted LA to add in a prospect and a 1st rounder. LA walked away.

Toronto banked on the fact that LA was desperate to get out of Richards contract by giving up a 1st round pick and a prospect, and they werent. Realistically I thought LA might throw in a prospect or a 2nd rounder, but not both, and certainly not a 1st with LA sitting at 21st in the league. LA will give Richards his time in the AHL to see if he rebounds before giving up so much to get rid of him, when really Dion is not anywhere worth his contract/term either.

Appears Nonis doesn't want to get rid of Phaneuf too badly, if that is the return he's holding out for.

Realistically I don't see Phaneuf going this year, not while injured, not while playing so poorly. There isn't a team that's going to bite on him for that kind of money and years.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The rumor was LA offered to swap Richards for Phaneuf, and Toronto wanted LA to add in a prospect and a 1st rounder. LA walked away.

Toronto banked on the fact that LA was desperate to get out of Richards contract by giving up a 1st round pick and a prospect, and they werent. Realistically I thought LA might throw in a prospect or a 2nd rounder, but not both, and certainly not a 1st with LA sitting at 21st in the league. LA will give Richards his time in the AHL to see if he rebounds before giving up so much to get rid of him, when really Dion is not anywhere worth his contract/term either.

Appears Nonis doesn't want to get rid of Phaneuf too badly, if that is the return he's holding out for.

Realistically I don't see Phaneuf going this year, not while injured, not while playing so poorly. There isn't a team that's going to bite on him for that kind of money and years.

Too bad reputable insiders have already said their in "considerable" interest in Dion. :laugh:

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Actually, the D is better without Phaneuf. His teammates hate him.

Phaneuf spent the last 3 games in Calgary dressing in a separate dressing room from the team because he was hated and Iggy twisted him up. The guy is a complete ****ing loser and he sucks on top of that.

Source?

LaCarriere

Too bad reputable insiders have already said their in "considerable" interest in Dion. :laugh:

there may have been, until they heard what toronto wanted in return from LA. LA is in the bottom 10 of the league, you aren't getting a top 10 pick for Dion, plus a prospect.

If there was considerable interest he would be moved by now.

And now with his injury, I'm guessing teams are going to want and see how he plays when he's back, want to get a look for at least a couple weeks.

I really don't think he's moved by the deadline.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
there may have been, until they heard what toronto wanted in return from LA. LA is in the bottom 10 of the league, you aren't getting a top 10 pick for Dion, plus a prospect.

If there was considerable interest he would be moved by now.

And now with his injury, I'm guessing teams are going to want and see how he plays when he's back, want to get a look for at least a couple weeks.

I really don't think he's moved by the deadline.

Think you're mistaken, the price tag was Dion, in addition to taking Mike Richards off their hands. That's a huge difference, if you are the Leafs why the hell would you do this deal without the pick coming back. That doesn't mean the Leafs think he is worth a top 10 pick, it means they thought he was worth a 10-15 pick if they have to take Richards' albatross of a contract back.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
While I can respect that you laid out your opinion, what you aren't taking into account is that he was signed under the new CBA, and not the old. This takes into account everything from the inability to circumvent the cap, as well as the rise of the cap under the new agreement.

Dion IS at market value, whether you can accept this or not. When players like Cody Franson are going to market, and are expecting 6x5 (or around that), then Dion at 7 is what you get. What you really need to do to determine his market value is look at all top 4 D-men, who were signed as UFA's after the lockout. Should give you your answer.

His cap hit will easily be getting knocked down in the upcoming years.

Dion is not at market value.....GM's around the league believe he is over paid.....

Marc Staal just signed 5.7M per
Matt Niskanen 5.7M per
Brooks Orpik 5.5M per
Dan Girardi 5.5M per
Jay Bouwmeester 5.4M per

All contract that started this year.....Dion is over paid.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think he will be a King if he is moved this year before the trade deadline....with Richards plus coming back. The Kings still have a good shot at the playoffs and need a d man in a large way. With Vancouver looking like they are folding the Kings are still very much in the playoff race.

The deal may only see Dion leave or it may include another player as well....Like a Winnik.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Dion is not at market value.....GM's around the league believe he is over paid.....

Marc Staal just signed 5.7M per
Matt Niskanen 5.7M per
Brooks Orpik 5.5M per
Dan Girardi 5.5M per
Jay Bouwmeester 5.4M per

All contract that started this year.....Dion is over paid.

You mean the consistently injured, 15 point player Marc Stall isn't worth 7 mil? Get outa town. The fact that Marc Stall signed for 5.7 tells me Dion is easily worth 6.5-7.

Outside of Bouwmeester (who is on a steal of a contract), this list proves nothing. Non of these guys have had the responsibilities Dion has had on the leafs, nor bring as much to the table. These are not as well rounded players as Dion, some might better defensively but then they bring little offense. Essentially these are better versions of Polak.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
You mean the consistently injured, 15 point player Marc Stall isn't worth 7 mil? Get outa town. The fact that Marc Stall signed for 5.7 tells me Dion is easily worth 6.5-7.

Outside of Bouwmeester (who is on a steal of a contract), this list proves nothing. Non of these guys have had the responsibilities Dion has had on the leafs, nor bring as much to the table. These are not as well rounded players as Dion, some might better defensively but then they bring little offense. Essentially these are better versions of Polak.

I wouldn't call Staal injury prone aside from one year where he played 21 games.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You mean the consonantly injured, 15 point player Marc Stall isn't worth 7 mil? Get outa town. The fact that Marc Stall signed for 5.7 tells me Dion is easily worth 6.5-7.

Outside of Bouwmeester (who is on a steal of a contract), this list proves nothing. Non of these guys have had the responsibilities Dion has had on the leafs, nor bring as much to the table. These are not as well rounded players as Dion.

You are wrong....every GM in the League takes all of the players on that list over Dion.

What does Dion bring to the table? Seriously.....his leadership? His record setting stupid penalties. His IQ...what does he bring?

What are Dion's responsibilities on the Leafs....is it to provide leadership? Fail.

Is it to provide a calming influence on the back end? Fail.

It must be to take the most minor penalties...as he is a pass on that responsibility.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
You are wrong....every GM in the League takes all of the players on that list over Dion.

What does Dion bring to the table? Seriously.....his leadership? His record setting stupid penalties. His IQ...what does he bring?

What are Dion's responsibilities on the Leafs....is it to provide leadership? Fail.

Is it to provide a calming influence on the back end? Fail.

It must be to take the most minor penalties...as he is a pass on that responsibility.

Oh look, lots of subjective, unquantifiable (not the PIM one, I agree) accounts of what Dion doesn't bring. Give me a statistical argument on how these players are better then Dion, otherwise your argument really is baseless.

Mar 26, 2010

Wrong. Dion is at the bottom of the list. He is #3-4 D man with no leadership skills.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Wrong. Dion is at the bottom of the list. He is #3-4 D man with no leadership skills.

:facepalm: All of those D-men are technically 3-4 defense men.

Maybe Dion should attend some leadership classes to build up these "skills"?

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010

Boumeester's back to being pretty average, good defensively and no offense . Not a very good example.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Can we just ****ing ditch this loser already. Our D looks the exact same without him.

Unfortuenly him sitting out was probably the worst management decision possible when trying to deal phanuef because i think other teams scouts noticed this too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad