Dineen: Jovanovski Named Captain

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Good for jovo.

I know people wont like the decision but the only people who know the pulse of the locker room are the coaches/players. Everyone else is guessing. If Dineen thought jovo is the leader, than I am sure he has the support of the players, including Weiss/soupy

Panthers607

To me it's simply wrong to give the C to a player who can't keep up with the game anymore, despite how awesome he's in the room.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Good for jovo.

I know people wont like the decision but the only people who know the pulse of the locker room are the coaches/players. Everyone else is guessing. If Dineen thought jovo is the leader, than I am sure he has the support of the players, including Weiss/soupy

This.

Kudos to M.R. for calling it.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
While I would have prefered Weiss, Jovo is by no means a bad choice. He's well respected in the league, a leader in the locker room, and won't hesitate to stick up for his teammates. Jovo is the first guy to get in the ref's face about a bad call.

And I highly doubt Weiss' choice to stay in Florida would have depended on him becoming captain. He's not a child. I like Weiss as much as the next guy, but you gotta admit he doesn't scream "captain material".

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
ugh. GR tweeted yesterday that multiple players felt that weiss was going to be named C. ??

i like jovo and i'm ok with it - obviously dineen knows more about what's going on than we do. thought of another reason yesterday why i don't like him as C. he's 35 now and needs multiple maintenance days during camp and season? i think he's overweight and his conditioning is subpar. i'm not his fitness coach so i can't say that for sure (tho i can infer from the fact he does look heavy and we know he misses days) but take a look at some of the other older players in the league - do they need maintenance days routinely? that bothers me. and more importantly, it's not the example you want to set. maybe i'm stretching on this one, though.

Keeping it warm for Gudbranson.

that IF is way down the line. not happening in 2 years.

Erick*

I think the letter is irrelevant to be honest with you. Nobody wore it last year and the team made the playoffs. It's about having leaderS (plural) at the end of the day.

No need to complain about it either. Dineen made the decision and he has more access to the situation than we do.

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
Versteeg went down the tunnel early and did not return. Weiss took a shot off the foot and it hobbled him a bit, and then he went down the tunnel.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I think we really hurt our chances of not re-signing Weiss if we don't give him the C. He has been here the longest, stayed through the tough times and never demanded a trade. He has said all the right things about being here for the results of this rebuild we have gone through. He had some good leadership quotes around playoff time last year too.

I think it'd be a shame if Weiss wasn't named captain.

Weiss - C
Campbell - A
Jovo - A (I know this isn't a popular choice, but he was real good in the playoffs last year and I remember reading quotes about players saying he really stepped up leadership wise in the dressing room come playoffs last year. We can always replace his A when he leaves)

This, but for the C. I don't think he would of been named C if it wasn't for his exceptional playoffs last year. He was probably one of our top 10 players in the playoffs last year. It was almost like a 96 flashback!

Erick*

For what it's worth, Jovo wasn't really good in the playoffs last year either.

Panthers are Red

Why so sad?
Jun 27, 2011
By my computer
I've expressed my opinion before, but now the decision has been made, all I will say is I think it is a mistake. Fortunately as we have shown recently captaincy isn't always that important otherwise we wouldn't have gone a number of years without one.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
I think it's a terrible choice, but not because I'm worried about it affecting Weiss' chances of staying. I just remember how bad Jovo was for most of last season, and he's only getting older. I'm sure he's a great locker room guy, but it takes more than that. He won't be around that much longer anyway, so it means we'll be switching captains again in a couple of years. This also means we probably won't be buying him out, which is unfortunate. I probably would've gone with Campbell, our best player and the one who basically signaled the change towards a winning culture. Oh well.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think it's a terrible choice, but not because I'm worried about it affecting Weiss' chances of staying. I just remember how bad Jovo was for most of last season, and he's only getting older. I'm sure he's a great locker room guy, but it takes more than that. He won't be around that much longer anyway, so it means we'll be switching captains again in a couple of years. This also means we probably won't be buying him out, which is unfortunate. I probably would've gone with Campbell, our best player and the one who basically signaled the change towards a winning culture. Oh well.

I don't think it prevents us from buying him out. Tallon traded his captain at the deadline two years ago.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
This is such a stupid decision.

Campbell is our best player and our rep at the All-Star games. Jovo can't even play 3/4's of a season.

Really, really displeased with this decision by Dineen.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
I couldn't find anything online, but how many third pairing defenseman have been captains before now? Obviously he's great support, but how does he lead? How do you drive a bus from the back seat? He only played in 75% of the games last year and averaged little over 16 minutes per game. He should be the King's head counsel. Not the King.

Panthers are Red

Why so sad?
Jun 27, 2011
By my computer
I couldn't find anything online, but how many third pairing defenseman have been captains before now? Obviously he's great support, but how does he lead? How do you drive a bus from the back seat? He only played in 75% of the games last year and averaged little over 16 minutes per game. He should be the King's head counsel. Not the King.

Well everyone says he is really important off the ice, and that is what he is paid for, so the less minutes he plays the more effective he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad