Dineen: Jovanovski Named Captain

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I would give it to weiss he has been with this team through absolute hell and deserves every good thing that comes his way. Instead of looking at it from a pessimistic view of he does not deserve it if he wont be this summer I'd prefer to think that if the C goes to him it will convince him to stay.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
The bottom line is, as someone mentioned above, it's been 10 years. If he was even close to the Stevie Y comparisons of him coming out of the draft, even half the hockey player, he would've grabbed a leadership role by now. He hasn't. He won't. He'll roll out of here just in time to miss our championship run. And I won't feel sorry for him.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
The bottom line is, as someone mentioned above, it's been 10 years. If he was even close to the Stevie Y comparisons of him coming out of the draft, even half the hockey player, he would've grabbed a leadership role by now. He hasn't. He won't. He'll roll out of here just in time to miss our championship run. And I won't feel sorry for him.

Comments like ths are so ridiculous. The guy has been through hell and back with this organization, and has NEVER stopped giving 110%. People here bad mouth him because he doesn't want to deal with contract negotiations now, as if he was the first player to ever do so.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Comments like ths are so ridiculous. The guy has been through hell and back with this organization, and has NEVER stopped giving 110%. People here bad mouth him because he doesn't want to deal with contract negotiations now, as if he was the first player to ever do so.

I'm entitled to believe how I see fit. I don't feel sorry for millionaire athletes. Sorry.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
To be clear:

I have no animosity for Weiss to ,wait until summer thats his well earned right.

By executing said right, my opinion is you can not give a C to someone ,who is questionable as to his presence here next year by his own choosing. its not a punishment, its not that he is ,undeserved, its just logical.

This may speak to Tallon's thoughts...

Florida Panthers‏@FlaPanthers

When asked about Kuba and Campbell being d pair and forming chemistry, Tallon quipped "I think I could play with Brian." #SkilledSoup

This!

-ghoste

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I'm entitled to believe how I see fit. I don't feel sorry for millionaire athletes. Sorry.

Who said anything about feeling sorry for him? The only excuse I have read about why he shouldn't wear the C is because he doesn't want to deal with his contract now. No other argument has been ade aside from that crap!

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Who said anything about feeling sorry for him? The only excuse I have read about why he shouldn't wear the C is because he doesn't want to deal with his contract now. No other argument has been ade aside from that crap!

If he's such a good candidate, why have we gone without a captain? Dineen doesn't see it. PDB didn't see it. Who else didn't see it?

Erick*

Dude kopecky is well respected in locker room and league. Ask GR.

A player with the skill of a 4th liner who's only been with the team for one year is not going to be named captain.

He's clearly candidate #4, if that.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
If he's such a good candidate, why have we gone without a captain? Dineen doesn't see it. PDB didn't see it. Who else didn't see it?

Dineen stated that he wasnt going to go with a captain in his first season, because he wanted to get a read on the team. And I could care less what DeBoer's reasoning was, because he isnt our coach anymore. What reasons make him a bad choice? Aside from him not wanting to talk contract now. I have given my side, but nobody has given a legit reason why he shouldnt be. Who cares if he isnt even half the hockey player Yzerman was, he is the epitimy of a Florida Panther hockey player.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Dineen stated that he wasnt going to go with a captain in his first season, because he wanted to get a read on the team. And I could care less what DeBoer's reasoning was, because he isnt our coach anymore. What reasons make him a bad choice? Aside from him not wanting to talk contract now. I have given my side, but nobody has given a legit reason why he shouldnt be. Who cares if he isnt even half the hockey player Yzerman was, he is the epitimy of a Florida Panther hockey player.

He is the epitome of the old Florida Panthers. Soft as butter and a perennial loser. Until guys like Campbell, Jovo, and Theodore came into town and began to change the culture. I haven't even mentioned his contract stupidity, and I won't for this debate. We'll see in less than a week what the coach thinks of #9.

Erick*

He is the epitome of the old Florida Panthers. Soft as butter and a perennial loser. Until guys like Campbell, Jovo, and Theodore came into town and began to change the culture. I haven't even mentioned his contract stupidity, and I won't for this debate. We'll see in less than a week what the coach thinks of #9.

So it's his fault the team lost for years?
It's a team game...

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

"Perennial loser"...Like Erick said, its a team game, and you are really stretching if you want to add in guys like Jovo and Theodore to the mix. Weiss has done all he can since joining the club. You want to blame him for the revolving coaches door? Or the weak support for former ownership? Or the poor draft picks, signings, and trades by former GMs? "Soft as butter"...He has played hurt many times, never complained, showed leadership on the ice, always gave 110% to this team on and off the ice, etc. But...as has been done before countless times, since he doesnt want to talk contract now, it makes him a bad captain :laugh: You cant ask for much more from a player like Weiss, considering what he has been through since being drafted.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
"Perennial loser"...Like Erick said, its a team game, and you are really stretching if you want to add in guys like Jovo and Theodore to the mix. Weiss has done all he can since joining the club. You want to blame him for the revolving coaches door? Or the weak support for former ownership? Or the poor draft picks, signings, and trades by former GMs? "Soft as butter"...He has played hurt many times, never complained, showed leadership on the ice, always gave 110% to this team on and off the ice, etc. But...as has been done before countless times, since he doesnt want to talk contract now, it makes him a bad captain :laugh: You cant ask for much more from a player like Weiss, considering what he has been through since being drafted.

You said you didn't feel sorry for him. Sure sounds like you do. Playing hurt doesn't making you less soft, being pushed off the puck by every center you face makes you soft. So he's shown leadership on and off the ice, yet no coach has noticed these great qualities and pinned a "C" on him? That sound odd to you? His contract doesn't make him a bad captain. That fact that he has been a true professional by earning his paycheck and going to work doesn't mean he's a captain either. If Dineen, a great captain in his time, sees all these great captain-like things that you see out of Weiss, I'll bow to him and you and admit to being wrong. But I don't believe I am.

Erick*

You said you didn't feel sorry for him. Sure sounds like you do. Playing hurt doesn't making you less soft, being pushed off the puck by every center you face makes you soft. So he's shown leadership on and off the ice, yet no coach has noticed these great qualities and pinned a "C" on him? That sound odd to you? His contract doesn't make him a bad captain. That fact that he has been a true professional by earning his paycheck and going to work doesn't mean he's a captain either. If Dineen, a great captain in his time, sees all these great captain-like things that you see out of Weiss, I'll bow to him and you and admit to being wrong. But I don't believe I am.

I think he's just undersized, not soft.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario

How long has he had an "A" on his jersey?

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I don't understand the Weiss is soft argument, but I don't like the idea of him being captain. As AG pointed out in his contract situation for one, but two I just think Soup is captain material more than Weiss.

I love Weiss, but all these give to him out if loyalty people make me scratch my head, that doesn't mahe a leader.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

Wtf are you talking about? Weiss has been the only consistantly good thing on this team for years. With that said, I think Campbell gets the C.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
No question it's Brian Campbell. I'm under the impression that if Weiss was the true leader of this team, he would've been given the C by now. Campbell was the catalyst in the events of last offseason and is arguably our best, most consistent player. Give him the C
This. The team hasn't had a captain in almost 2 years, if Weiss wanted it or if the management wanted to give the "C" to him it would have happened already.

Campbell is under contract for 3 more years after this one and possibly looking at retiring a Panther (say he plays until 2018, 39 years old, 7 seasons with the Panthers). I think he'd be the perfect captain before Guds is ready to take the reign.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Sounds like GR is hinting at it being Jovo saying everyone looks up to him in a tweet.

As i just said in another thread, I bumped into Jov this weekend, and played in a poker tourney with him a few months ago...you will not meet a nicer guy. He will talk with you as long as you wish.

Although I would go with soupy, for reasons stated above, whomever KD chooses Im ok with...KD is a 3x captain and natural leader and the person with the most knowledge of the locker room intangables.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
If we could get the Jovo we had in playoffs I'd give him the C. I just don't know but Campbell doesn't feel like captain material to me. Too quite. Sure there are this kinda captains but there usually european and lead by exsample like Camps. For me a captain is a vocal guy who leads his team, sticks up for his team. You know those stereotype old time canadian captains.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
this decision will likely tell us lots about what will happen with weiss. i've speculated in the past that one of the reasons he's hung around here was that this was an opportunity to be a captain and that's something not a lot of players can say. you can say you want to go somewhere and have the chance to win the cup but, outside of a rare few, how often does that work out? becoming captain of the team you were drafted by (and that happens to be on the ascent now, even if they aren't going to be a contender this year or next)? that's a nice feather in your cap and once you have it, assuming some measure of success/respect, you get consideration for the C at the next stop (if there is one).

anyhow, can't imagine it being jovo. i get that he's looked up to but on the ice, he's just not the player he was anymore. it's hard to wear the C when you're the guy everyone knows is most likely to make a difference in a BAD way. an A? sure.

campbell would be a fine captain but i think if weiss is going to be here past this year, he should get the C.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Its fine that Jovo is a great lockroom guy, but that doesn't warrant him the C. The C has to be to a key player that also contributes both off and on the ice. Jovo doesn't contribute on the ice like he used to. I will be so pissed if he gets it..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad