Dineen: Jovanovski Named Captain

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Harvey Fialkov ‏@hfialkov

Dineen said he will announce a captain by the season opener. Weiss? Jovo? Kopecky? #flapanthers

Weiss should get it but being a UFA to be hurts. I fear it's gonna be Jovo

ninetynine*

I think Weiss will get it anyway, maybe to try to entice him to stay ala Parise in New Jersey.

I want Parros and Kopecky to get an A.

Panthers607

Campbell.

Zero chance of Jovo IMO, he's so close to being done.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Campbell. And it's the right choice. The guy is as classy as they come.
He's respected. He wins awards, something Florida Panther's don't do often. No brainer, IMO.

Panthers are Red

Why so sad?
Jun 27, 2011
By my computer
I would expect the two options to be Weiss and Campbell, don't think anyone else really deserves it. Weiss is probably the favourite as he has been a Panther the longest and in order to entice him to stay as ninetynine suggested. However, if we were to base it on last year I would say Campbell is the most deserving.

King Panther

ElGrandeDbagSupreme
Feb 28, 2010
Fullerton, CA
id prefer Campbell but I think Weiss will get it because they don't want to disrespect him. one way or the other, itll be a good thing for the team. id guess whichever one doesn't get it will get an A

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
No question it's Brian Campbell. I'm under the impression that if Weiss was the true leader of this team, he would've been given the C by now. Campbell was the catalyst in the events of last offseason and is arguably our best, most consistent player. Give him the C

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
I hope it is Soup as well. If Weiss is too mentally weak to be able to negotiate a contract that's going to be 4-5 years for 4-5 million without being distracted, I don't want him as the Panther's captain.

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa
I've always wanted Weiss to get the C, but like others have noted, with the iffy contract situation i just don't think we should give it to him. So, i'm gonna go with Campbell. The guy is just too solid of a player to not get it.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
A lot of teams seem to give the captaincy to the best player on the team, guess it would be a change to see it given to the worst.

He's looked up to on the team and it's been said that he was the most vocal in the room. Not a fan of the decision, but 'best player' isn't always the best choice either, IMO. I've always thought Bure was a poor choice.

Panthers are Red

Why so sad?
Jun 27, 2011
By my computer
He's looked up to on the team and it's been said that he was the most vocal in the room. Not a fan of the decision, but 'best player' isn't always the best choice either, IMO. I've always thought Bure was a poor choice.

I know that best player isn't always a good choice for captain. But I feel that one thing you want from the captain is someone who will be able to lead on the ice, make a big play when needed and can turn a game around. Jovo doesn't do that any more. If Jovo's biggest boon is that he is useful off the ice then he shouldn't be captain, he should be a coach.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
It would be Campbell if it were up to Talon, but it's not. It's up to Dineen (or the players apparently.) I think we can all agree that the top 3 leaders will be Weiss, Campbell, and Jovo. All of them are deserving, and I wouldnt be surprised with any of them.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
OMG I totally forgot Soup. Soup will get it pretty sure.

Panthers607

I'm sure Jovo is great in the locker room and all but a captain has to lead by example on the ice, and not make a fool of himself at times, and Jovo does that quite a lot.

to me this is a no-brainer:
Campbell - C
Weiss - A
Jovo - A

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
after mccabe was traded, i was definately on the weiss train. when the overhaul took place, i believed weiss would still be a good pick to get everyone to come together as a team and follow mr panthers himself.
but now i have to say my thoughts are campbell, due to his importance to us. he leads by example night in and night out.he is easily our best player, and he will be a great leader for many years with our young guns growing up.

If weiss gets it, I sort of want there to be a re-signing of him before. I know hes a loyal guy, but i just dont like that "wait til everything is over" style hes playing now.

Just please not jovo, let him have an A, but not a C please

Slick Cat

Nov 17, 2007
I think Weiss will get it anyway, maybe to try to entice him to stay ala Parise in New Jersey.

I want Parros and Kopecky to get an A.

Agree that Weiss will get it, although your comment about parise reminds us that it didn't work for nj. Jovo and Campbell get the A's, no more Kopecky. Enough with the Jovo bashing, one of our best performers down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad