Dineen: Jovanovski Named Captain

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
its gonna be campbell. hes our most important player last season and right now, everyone likes him, he runs our D, is under contract for a while, is more vocal and strikes me as more of a leader. weiss, whether his future being questionable or not doesnt strike me as a guy who would even want the C to be honest. i think he's content on having an A and still being a team leader. i think no question campbell gets it.

Campbell-C
Weiss-A
Jovanovski-A

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Campbell would be the best choice as he's been known to be a vocal leader in the locker room last season. I'd feel funny however not giving it to Weiss after being here for so long. He doesn't really strike me as the type to be what they need though as a leader vocally. I would just hate to see him walk after this season if he doesn't get it. As much as the players probably look up to Jovo, it would make no sense at this point to give it to him with his career close to ending.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I think we really hurt our chances of not re-signing Weiss if we don't give him the C. He has been here the longest, stayed through the tough times and never demanded a trade. He has said all the right things about being here for the results of this rebuild we have gone through. He had some good leadership quotes around playoff time last year too.

I think it'd be a shame if Weiss wasn't named captain.

Weiss - C
Campbell - A
Jovo - A (I know this isn't a popular choice, but he was real good in the playoffs last year and I remember reading quotes about players saying he really stepped up leadership wise in the dressing room come playoffs last year. We can always replace his A when he leaves)

p9ers

May 11, 2011
Toronto
After ten years Weiss has shown that he's not the leader of this team. We shouldn't give him the C becasue we pity him or becasue we want to bribe him in coming back.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
After ten years Weiss has shown that he's not the leader of this team. We shouldn't give him the C becasue we pity him or becasue we want to bribe him in coming back.

Huh? What has Weiss shown you that doesn't warrant him being named captain? The fact that the team played better when he was on the ice? Or how he never complained when the team was at its lowest? Or how he is quite vocal on the ice? Or how he has played hard every game, and through injuries? IMO, no one as shown more respect and dedication to this organization than Weiss, and absolutely deserves to be named captain. He had a chance to leave if he really wanted to, but unlike Horton, he wanted to help this team succeed, and did not want Tallon to trade him. You give him the C because he deserves it, not because of pity or fear that he may leave.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Huh? What has Weiss shown you that doesn't warrant him being named captain? The fact that the team played better when he was on the ice? Or how he never complained when the team was at its lowest? Or how he is quite vocal on the ice? Or how he has played hard every game, and through injuries? IMO, no one as shown more respect and dedication to this organization than Weiss, and absolutely deserves to be named captain. He had a chance to leave if he really wanted to, but unlike Horton, he wanted to help this team succeed, and did not want Tallon to trade him. You give him the C because he deserves it, not because of pity or fear that he may leave.

I wholeheartedly agree! And again, my only hesitation about Weiss would be him choosing to leave after the season. To me, I feel a Captain should be one for years. And honestly, Weiss' comments about waiting till after the season for contact talks doesn't give me warm & fuzzies. Not saying he doesn't want to re-sign, just saying it's open for speculation.

-ghoste

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Weiss, after showing loyalty by asking not to be traded 2 yrs ago, has created his own uncertainty by stating himself he will not talk $ till he is a FA.

By doing so he has taken himself out of the running.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I feel I have to share my observations after a few times that i've seen them.

Steven Weiss gives the impression that hes one of the local rink rats, youd never thought he has any clue of the stardom hed be capable of up north....

I dont want to out and say Soupy acted like his **** dont stink, but thats as close to his attitude as i can think of. Not enough for me not to like him, but he didnt show half the interest of engaging this STHer that Stevie never fails to show..

Weiss is truly one of us and always has been.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Weiss, after showing loyalty by asking not to be traded 2 yrs ago, has created his own uncertainty by stating himself he will not talk $ till he is a FA.

By doing so he has taken himself out of the running.

Love the shaggy Soupy!

I dunno man, he knows this has been his team. Finally give him the C he deserves and well see him lead. In the same sentiment where the US team convinced Herb Brooks to keep Eruzione over the late addition.

In the same sentiment that I didnt get pissed at Messier for leaving after NY gave his spotlight to Gretzky. (as for your feelings on his will to wait on negotiations)

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Love the shaggy Soupy!

I dunno man, he knows this has been his team. Finally give him the C he deserves and well see him lead. In the same sentiment where the US team convinced Herb Brooks to keep Eruzione over the late addition.

In the same sentiment that I didnt get pissed at Messier for leaving after NY gave his spotlight to Gretzky. (as for your feelings on his will to wait on negotiations)

Good points buddy.

I will not begrudge Weiss at all if he chooses to test FA. I just dont want to assign him the C with that uncertainty. I still believe, loyalty aside, Soupy is the real leader, the reall quarterback.

That said, I wont be pissed at all if Weiss gets it. Dineen is himself a leader, a coach players actually like, a 3x capt, so whomever he chooses im good with.

CoolburnIsGone

Dude kopecky is well respected in locker room and league. Ask GR.
I'd also add that if you're not actually attending the games, you sometimes dont see how Kopecky leads on the ice too. He's often going over to the refs to argue our case or going over to them to get clarification on the calls. You cant really see that stuff on the TV broadcast, its often during a commercial break. So even the refs clearly respect him so to laugh at Kopecky as captain (though not my choice) is clearly not knowing the full extent of how he's a leader.

Of the guys mentioned (Jovo, Kopecky, Weiss, Campbell), any of them would be a good choice and cant see any problem there. I personally would like to see Weiss get it but wouldnt be pissed if any of the other 3 got it.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
My gut says Weiss. Not sure why there is animosity over him waiting until summer to negotiate his deal. He has every right to wait until his contract is up. If he thinks it will be a distraction to negotiate during the season, then so be it...

I don't have a problem with it and I'm not sure why anyone else would. It's hard to say anything concretely since I don't know the guy, but every time he has said he wants to remain a Panther, it has seemed genuine, but who knows.

I still think he'll re-sign for 3-4 years this summer.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
My gut says Weiss. Not sure why there is animosity over him waiting until summer to negotiate his deal. He has every right to wait until his contract is up. If he thinks it will be a distraction to negotiate during the season, then so be it...

I don't have a problem with it and I'm not sure why anyone else would. It's hard to say anything concretely since I don't know the guy, but every time he has said he wants to remain a Panther, it has seemed genuine, but who knows.

I personally find it weak that a guy that is going to get 4-5 years at 4-5 million finds that a distraction. And if that is too much for him to handle he probably shouldn't be captain.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

To be clear:

I have no animosity for Weiss to wait until summer thats his well earned right.

By executing said right, my opinion is you can not give a C to someone who is questionable as to his presence here next year by his own choosing. its not a punishment, its not that he is undeserved, its just logical.

This may speak to Tallon's thoughts...

Florida Panthers‏@FlaPanthers

When asked about Kuba and Campbell being d pair and forming chemistry, Tallon quipped "I think I could play with Brian." #SkilledSoup

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad