Rumor: Dinamo Rīga might leave KHL if current political situation continues to destabilize

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
The ultimate point is to get access to rich markets like Germany and Schweiz. DR have already played its role. It was example of team from EU that plays in KHL. Now there is other teams for that. I like DR, but its departure wouldn't have any bad effect on KHL now.

And if it leaves like this, it sure was a great example. :sarcasm:

alce*

And if it leaves like this, it sure was a great example. :sarcasm:

If someone shot himself in the foot, will it be "a great example" for you? :) Because, sincerely, I see absolutely no difference between these two cases.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
If someone shot himself in the foot, will it be "a great example" for you? :) Because, sincerely, I see absolutely no difference between these two cases.

And then there's no point trying to explain it to you.

If Dynamo Riga isn't a good example, then the complete **** storm with Jokerit should be.

alce*

And then there's no point trying to explain it to you.

If Dynamo Riga isn't a good example, then the complete **** storm with Jokerit should be.

Yep. There was no point in your explanation at all.:)

And I appreciate how "smoothly" you've switch from DR to Jokerit. :laugh:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Yep. There was no point in your explanation at all.:)

And I appreciate how "smoothly" you've switch from DR to Jokerit. :laugh:

I figured since you're obviously not understanding the DR example, you might understand the Jokerit one. Are you telling me you did not understand either? :laugh: Oh god.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
The ultimate point is to get access to rich markets like Germany and Schweiz. DR have already played its role. It was example of team from EU that plays in KHL. Now there is other teams for that. I like DR, but its departure wouldn't have any bad effect on KHL now.

If the situation continues to destabilize, it won't be just Dinamo Riga. Don't you understand that? DR will have no other choice but leave in the scenario where the Latvian government begins to cut political and economic ties with Russia, which, of all the EU countries, Latvia needs the least. In that case, any EU expansion of the KHL would be ruled out, you'd have to forget about the idea itself and enjoy the much anticipated triumph over the fascist Banderites and other flying spaghetti monsters watching an open Russia-Belarus-Kazakhstan championship.

alce*

If the situation continues to destabilize, it won't be just Dinamo Riga. Don't you understand that? DR will have no other choice but leave in the scenario where the Latvian government begins to cut political and economic ties with Russia, which, of all the EU countries, Latvia needs the least. In that case, any EU expansion of the KHL would be ruled out, you'd have to forget about the idea itself and enjoy the much anticipated triumph over the fascist Banderites and other flying spaghetti monsters watching an open Russia-Belarus-Kazakhstan championship.

So? You're saying it like this expansion is giving KHL anything except of loss of money now. I don't care if this expansion project would fail or not, it wasn't my idea after all. :) Hockey is just entertainment for me and beside that I see absolutely no reasons why Russia-Belarus-Kazahstan championship should be any worse than KHL today.

Last edited by a moderator:

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
So? You're saying it like this expansion is giving KHL anything except of loss of money now. I don't care if this expansion project would fail or not, it wasn't my idea after all. :) Hockey is just entertainment for me and beside that I see absolutely no reasons why Russia-Belarus-Kazahstan championship should be any worse than KHL today.

And your remark about "spagetti monsters" are just hilarious. Yes, hilarious.:shakehead
without european clubs the khl'd be worse in terms of the level of competition and interest generated. but why some european clubs are in the khl? because of the money gotten from our oligarchs with a shady reputation and the money made by pumping natural recourses abroad. sorry, if that's the cost of having some european clubs in the khl i'm againgst it. and i have nothing against clubs like riga here, on the contrary they try to moderate their expenses but you can do only so much when your opponents are our oligarchs with no compunctions when it's a matter of money to be spent. they are victims of the system made by our oligarchs of amoral spending on hockey players' salaries. damn, that's one vicious circle

Last edited:

alce*

without european clubs the khl'd be worse in terms of the level of competition and interest generated. but why some european clubs are in the khl? because of the money gotten from our oligarchs with a shady reputation and the money made by pumping natural recourses abroad. sorry, if that's the cost of having some european clubs in the khl i'm agaings it

Yep, but how one of Latvians have said me here (maybe it was ozo?) - he don't understand why Russian sponsors pay to DR to attract good players instead of just take these players right in Russian clubs. And his thoughts have some sense. So, no, I don't think that KHL level would suffer in the long run. Foreign team are not more than just exotic now.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Yep, but how one of Latvians have said me here (maybe it was ozo?) - he don't understand why Russian sponsors pay to DR to attract good players instead of just take these players right in Russian clubs. And his thoughts have some sense. So, no, I don't think that KHL level would suffer in the long run. Foreign team are not more than just exotic now.
it's one of the best team in terms of attendance and the atmosphere at the games. it's a great hockey city. you can't deny it. by the khl standarts it's an exemplary club in terms of how to earn, spend and being competitive year in year out. them leaving'd be a huge blow. but again, it's not a matter of them leaving, it's a matter of curbing the crazy extravagance of our oligarchs

Last edited:

alce*

it's one of the best team in terms of attendance and the atmosphere at the games. it's a great hockey city. you can't deny it. by the khl standarts it's an exemplary club in terms of how to earn, spend and being competitive year in year out. them leaving'd be a huge blow. but again, it's not a matter of them leaving, it's a matter of curbing the crazy extravagance of our oligarchs

It's a good team and I've already said several times that I myself like it. But a huge blow for KHL? Why? You're too emotional with this.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
It's a good team and I've already said several times that I myself like it. But a huge blow for KHL? Why? You're too emotional with this.
:laugh: ok, not so huge but a tad detrimental for sure. and i said several times already them european teams joining and leaving the khl is not what the pundits in the khl must worry about

Last edited:

alce*

:laugh: ok, not so huge but a tad detrimental for sure.

I would be a little sad if it'd happen, but not for long I think.:) One of my favorite football teams in the 90th was Rotor Volgograd. They had great team and fantastic supporters. But now I don't even know what division they play in. And championship now is much more interesting than it was in that time. You're losing something then you're finding something. That's life.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I would be a little sad if it'd happened, but not for long I think.:) One of my favorite football teams in the 90th was Rotor Volgograd. They had great team and fantastic supporters. But now I don't even know what division they play in. And championship now is much more interesting than it was in than time. You're losing something then you're finding something. That's life.
oh, veretenikov and esipov, old good times indeed

alce*

oh, veretenikov and esipov, old good times indeed

Yep, it's good memories, but I prefer present time when there are four or five championship contenders and not one and a half as it was at that time.

So as much as I like DR I see no long lasting bad effects for KHL after its possible departure - it isn't a keystone of organization.:)

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
:laugh: ok, not so huge but a tad detrimental for sure. and i said several times already them european teams joining and leaving the khl is not what the pundits in the khl must worry about

Huge blow for sure, you had it right with your previous post. Any team for that matter leaving on their own merit damages the leagues credibility, especially when its one of the leagues more popular clubs. It has an effect on the imports, countries considering joining etc.. Lets hope it doesn't happen.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
So? You're saying it like this expansion is giving KHL anything except of loss of money now. I don't care if this expansion project would fail or not, it wasn't my idea after all. Hockey is just entertainment for me and beside that I see absolutely no reasons why Russia-Belarus-Kazahstan championship should be any worse than KHL today.
You wrote that the Western European markets are the ultimate objective for the KHL. You brought an argument and I answered it.

If you see no reasons in having clubs outside of Russia, you're probably not even a hockey fan. Road trips to Prague and Riga are far more entertaning (that's the word you used) than road trips to Nizhnekamsk or Cherepovets, Medvescak and Lev are far more interesting than Amur or even Lada ever were.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
I just find it so perverse to try to argue that a succesfull team leaving the league on the grounds of discontent (which might potentially become a larger exodus) is totally harmless :shakehead

I think it's kind of clear what is behind this "logic", I have seen this times and again :sarcasm:

alce*

You wrote that the Western European markets are the ultimate objective for the KHL. You brought an argument and I answered it.

Yes. But I've written specifically about KHL intentions and DR place in all of this. It have no importance now, no matter what's going to happen. Success or failing of KHL expansion as a whole is a complete different question. And I just don't see any problem for KHL future in any possible outcome of all this.

If you see no reasons in having clubs outside of Russia, you're probably not even a hockey fan. Road trips to Prague and Riga are far more entertaning (that's the word you used) than road trips to Nizhnekamsk or Cherepovets, Medvescak and Lev are far more interesting than Amur or even Lada ever were.

I'm glad that you're enjoining todays situation, but how it changes the fact that foreign teams are just loss of money for KHL? And please, don't start the discussion who could name himself a true hockey fan. It's both pointless and stupid.

alce*

I just find it so perverse to try to argue that a succesfull team leaving the league on the grounds of discontent (which might potentially become a larger exodus) is totally harmless :shakehead

I think it's kind of clear what is behind this "logic", I have seen this times and again :sarcasm:

There is nothing "successful" about DR, it's spend money of Russian sponsors as almost any other team in KHL.

I can understand that for foreign followers of KHL it could be a big hit, but you should see the difference between your interest as a fan and interest of KHL as organization.
The goals of expansion of KHL on European market were failed miserably. So cutting the losses could be very healthy for KHL in the long run.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
Yes. But I've written specifically about KHL intentions and DR place in all of this. It have no importance now, no matter what's going to happen. Success or failing of KHL expansion as a whole is a complete different question. And I just don't see any problem for KHL future in any possible outcome of all this.
Then you probably didn't understand the concerns of Dinamo's ownership.

I'm glad that you're enjoining todays situation, but how it changes the fact that foreign teams are just loss of money for KHL?
Quite frankly, the entire KHL is just a huge waste of money, but I don't think it's Riga or Zagreb who you should blame for that.

And please, don't start the discussion who could name himself a true hockey fan. It's both pointless and stupid.
Well, I assume that there may be people who enjoy following sports for some other reasons. Good for them.

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
Putin isn't going to invade Latvia, the Baltic States hate Russians far more than Ukraine does. The political situation would be fine if the nations in Eastern Europe stopped spreading hysteria.

alce*

Then you probably didn't understand the concerns of Dinamo's ownership.

Nope. Did I ever said that I understand them? Whatever decision they will choose it's completely their business. But It will not be a big problem for KHL in any case. Which was my only point.

Quite frankly, the entire KHL is just a huge waste of money, but I don't think it's Riga or Zagreb who you should blame for that.

And again it never was the point of my posts. There is a big differences between "blaming the Riga" and not seeing any tragedy with Riga's leaving the KHL.

Well, I assume that there may be people who enjoy following sports for some other reasons. Good for them.

Yep. There is absolutely no point of trying to stand on the high ground in that question.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization

sure there are reasons, but there are reasons not to have them where the main one is the khl being a money sucking hole that it's and questions like how much does all that european luxury cost to the khl (russia)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad