Rumor: Dinamo Rīga might leave KHL if current political situation continues to destabilize

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
Nope. Did I ever said that I understand them? Whatever decision they will choose it's completely their business. But It will not be a big problem for KHL in any case. Which was my only point..
...and it was pretty meaningless in the context that you didn't understand.
And again it never was the point of my posts. There is a big differences between "blaming the Riga" and not seeing any tragedy with Riga's leaving the KHL..
Your command of English is making this discussion even more confusing.
Yep. There is absolutely no point of trying to stand on the high ground in that question.
Welp, I brought my points and you just dismissed them for no apparent reason.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Putin isn't going to invade Latvia, the Baltic States hate Russians far more than Ukraine does. The political situation would be fine if the nations in Eastern Europe stopped spreading hysteria.
nope they all hate equally and with fervour especially the west ukraine. it's enough to say they staged their coup on the wave of russophobic sentiments, calling russians slaves, mongoloids and so on and on:laugh:

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
nope they all hate equally and with fervour especially the west ukraine. it's enough to say they staged their coup on the wave of russophobic sentiments, calling russians slaves, mongoloids and so on and on
Uh, but that is just wrong. Have you been to Lviv? It's one of the most hospitable cities for a Russian tourist in the entire former Soviet Union.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Uh, but that is just wrong. Have you been to Lviv? It's one of the most hospitable cities for a Russian tourist in the entire former Soviet Union.

It might be quite so, but I bet people will not be checking out this claim for a very, very long time. It even might be safe, but I simply don't want to deal with explaining, defending or, alternatively, supporting, or needing to demonstrate guilt, or whatever.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
nope they all hate equally and with fervour especially the west ukraine. it's enough to say they staged their coup on the wave of russophobic sentiments, calling russians slaves, mongoloids and so on and on:laugh:

Internet is evil :) Most people communicate online on the principle of "God, if I could only punch people through TCP/IP".

alce*

...and it was pretty meaningless in the context that you didn't understand.

Empty words that have no connection to anything I've written in this thread.

Your command of English is making this discussion even more confusing.

I doubt it, but if you insist, then I rephrase that in Russian - Ваши слова о том, что нельзя винить Ригу или Загреб за то что вся КХЛ это "огромная потеря денег" не имеют никакого отношения к моим словам, что уход Риги из КХЛ не будет представлять никакой трагедии, так как ничего кроме потери денег они КХЛ не дают.

Welp, I brought my points and you just dismissed them for no apparent reason.

What points? You've said that you think that I'm probably not a hockey fan, because of what I think about foreign teams. I've said that I will not be discussing who could be named a true "hockey fan" and who couldn't. Nothing good can be result of that. If you think that you know better, so be it. :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
I doubt it, but if you insist, then I rephrase that in Russian - Ваши слова о том, что нельзя винить Ригу или Загреб за то что вся КХЛ это "огромная потеря денег" не имеют никакого отношения к моим словам, что уход Риги из КХЛ не будет представлять никакой трагедии, так как ничего кроме потери денег они КХЛ не дают.

SKA, CSKA, etc should be first on the line, following this logic. :help:

Riga, although not self-sufficient, is clearly the most succesfull team in terms of percentage of the budget due to ticket and merchandise sales

alce*

SKA, CSKA, etc should be first on the line, following this logic. :help:

Riga, although not self-sufficient, is clearly the most succesfull team in terms of percentage of the budget due to ticket and merchandise sales

Maybe for you spending money of Russian sponsors on Russian and foreign teams are exactly the same thing. Maybe.:) But for me it's completely different cases.

alce*

OK, I see. Well, then we simply should get rid of all foreign teams and call the league the RHL.

I'd still prefer a KHL though.

It's all about preferences. My first post in this thread to you was when I didn't agree with you that Riga quitting from KHL would be bad for KHL. And I've then show in the following posts why I think so. Your idea that we should get rid of all foreign teams is only your idea. My point that in case of possible scenario that they would leave KHL by themselves, it wouldn't be a tragedy for KHL at all.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Putin isn't going to invade Latvia, the Baltic States hate Russians far more than Ukraine does. The political situation would be fine if the nations in Eastern Europe stopped spreading hysteria.

I probably should delete posts like this instantly. But I'm of the opinion that we can't avoid politics in a league that revolves around Russia. So I'll treat this post as simply stupid and answer.

No sane person in Latvia hates Russians or Russia as country. Its leaders and politics (and even then only foreign politics; if Russia would be a somewhat closed ecosystem like North Korea nobody would care) is a completely different matter.

Anyway, would be a shame to loose DR. In past six years I've seen more good hockey than in previous twenty. But this is not gonna happen unless EU really grows a pair and how likely is this? :laugh:

alce*

No sane person in Latvia hates Russians or Russia as country. Its leaders and politics (and even then only foreign politics; if Russia would be a somewhat closed ecosystem like North Korea nobody would care) is a completely different matter. :laugh:

No sane person in Russia hates Latvians or Latvia as country. Its leaders and politics (and even only internal politics) is a completely different matter.

Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself.:) But sincerely if you don't want to start political holy-war there, it would be better to just delete both posts.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
Empty words that have no connection to anything I've written in this thread.

Okay, let me quote my exact posts then.
If the situation continues to destabilize, it won't be just Dinamo Riga. Don't you understand that?
<...>
Nope. Did I ever said that I understand them? <...> But It will not be a big problem for KHL in any case.
When it becomes a problem for DR, it will be a problem for the KHL as a whole.

And then there's another topic...
What points? You've said that you think that I'm probably not a hockey fan, because of what I think about foreign teams.
No, I... have not. Read the part of my post that you skipped, pls.
Road trips to Prague and Riga are far more entertaning (that's the word you used) than road trips to Nizhnekamsk or Cherepovets, Medvescak and Lev are far more interesting than Amur or even Lada ever were.
I think, those are really good reasons why having expansion teams is better than not having them.

alce*

When it becomes a problem for DR, it will be a problem for the KHL as a whole.

KHL could easily survive without any of foreign teams. Until these teams could self-support themselves without sponsors from Russia, possible losing any of them or all of them together don't concern me at all. They've just exotic now. They generate losses now, not profit, so all the words about problems for KHL because of that aren't noting else than just emotions.

No, I... have not. Read the part of my post that you skipped, pls.

I think, those are really good reasons why having expansion teams is better than not having them.

Yes. Sorry. I've got that you like road trips to Europe, but don't see how it's any good for KHL? Your interest as a fan and interest of KHL as organization are two different things. We've talked about possible problems for KHL, do you remember?:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
KHL could easily survive without any of foreign teams. Until these teams could self-support themselves without sponsors from Russia, possible losing any of them or all of them together don't concern me at all. They've just exotic now. They generate losses now, not profit, so all the words about problems for KHL because of that aren't noting else than just emotions.

You mean like pretty much all russian KHL teams? Care to name all those making profits? Unless KHL is planning to always be a money sink, there is no way KHL will be able to keep up like they are doing now without other markets.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You mean like pretty much all russian KHL teams? Care to name all those making profits? Unless KHL is planning to always be a money sink, there is no way KHL will be able to keep up like they are doing now without other markets.

I'm not 100% sure but alce might have been among those few Russian KHL fans who think the league should be smarter with the way they handle the economics. Such as setting a more reasonable salary cap (which Roman Rotenberg has confirmed will be happening), which would allow teams to have more balanced rosters and not force them to overpay for "average" players and thus give teams a chance to make profit. If the league were become one where teams can make profit and have decent roster, then it would easier to get more European teams involved.

Last edited:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I'm not 100% sure but alce might have been among those few Russian KHL fans who think the league should be smarter with the way they handle the economics. Such as setting a more reasonable salary cap (which Roman Rotenberg has confirmed will be happening), which would allow teams to have more balanced rosters and not force them to overpay for "average" players and thus give teams a chance to make profit. If the league were become one where teams can make profit and have decent roster, then it would easier to get more European teams involved.

On the other hand, they'd have a lot more problems getting at least swedish players over, since the only reason they even consider KHL is because of the paycheck. If the paychecks gets smaller, so does the player interest, and the quality. It's not like they consider leaving SHL to go to KHL unless they are overpaid, and I'm sure that goes for more than swedish players.

I'm not even sure where the next european teams are going to come from. Are they interested in getting more eastern european teams? Seems like Jokerit and the Norwegian team, if they join, will be the only western teams for a long while.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
What that says is that the economy has became stagnant at best and when the political climate is getting worse I can't really see that leading to a positive development. But we'll see.

No, what it says is that Russia easily overcame the crisis of 2008 and its economy has never been better. Russia needs 20 more years of the same pace to become true leader of Europe.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
No, what it says is that Russia easily overcame the crisis of 2008 and its economy has never been better. Russia needs 20 more years of the same pace to become true leader of Europe.

Russia needs to oust "the party of crooks and thieves", and to start producing something for a change, to become "a true leader of Europe". And even after that, it does not matter, because Merke... sorry... "true leaders" are universally hated in Europe.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Russia needs to oust "the party of crooks and thieves", and to start producing something for a change, to become "a true leader of Europe". And even after that, it does not matter, because Merke... sorry... "true leaders" are universally hated in Europe.

Watching too much TV Dozhd? Producing something like what? What does Canada produce, G-7 member? The only thing that consistently sells is resourses. Making phones or t-shirts will not get you anywhere anymore.

Russia with its huge territory and fairly low population is on the verge of breaking out in the next 25 years while most of the overpopulated Europe is going to go into very long depression.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Watching too much TV Dozhd? Producing something like what? What does Canada produce, G-7 member? The only thing that consistently sells is resourses. Making phones or t-shirts will not get you anywhere anymore.

Russia with its huge territory and fairly low population is on the verge of breaking out in the next 25 years while most of the overpopulated Europe is going to go into very long depression.

Nope. Have you not paid any attention to what economic projections have said? Russia has a huge problem with relying on resources only, they have been unable to create new industry and with foreign investors now running away like crazy from the country, there won't be any for a long while. Meanwhile EU's credit rating was lifted just last week to stabile and there's not a huge risk of a depression or even a downturn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad