Rumor: Dinamo Rīga might leave KHL if current political situation continues to destabilize

Rekin

Feb 23, 2014
Warszawa
If there's a truely hopeless hockey market in Central Europe then Warsaw must be one, no 5000+ arena here at all and even fewer hockey culture. :(

However Kraków and Gdańsk could definitely try their luck in such a league, both even have brand new 10000+ arenas.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If they are that stupid, to follow the liers, I won't feel sad for a second.

Last edited:

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
There is a 0% chance of them being able to join the Swedish league. SHL would laugh in the phone and hang up.
why? a Nordic league has a nice ring to it and will be a smart move to stall the khl's expansion . there's no animosity between your countries. you all love each other so why not unite your countries even stronger:)

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
In a previous thread I speculated that if there ever was going to be a Nordic league, then Riga could be in there.

SHL is not a nordic league. There might be a huge error in his english, in which case I couldn't care less if Riga was in a nordic league, but I'd prefer them not to be.

An Argument For

Feb 25, 2014
SHL is not a nordic league. There might be a huge error in his english, in which case I couldn't care less if Riga was in a nordic league, but I'd prefer them not to be.

Personally, I have never understood why there isn't more interaction between Sweden and Finland when it goes to hockey leagues. Has there ever been discussion about a merger? From a North American, it seems like it make perfect sense.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Personally, I have never understood why there isn't more interaction between Sweden and Finland when it goes to hockey leagues. Has there ever been discussion about a merger? From a North American, it seems like it make perfect sense.

Swedes are the most conservative on doing anything new to their sports. No merning talks between the league officials, im pretty sure. If Swedish league finds a way to seperate even more from others, it will do it probably :D

But it does make sense from fans point of view. The problem is, the HC fans of the teams in both countries are very traditionalist and probably not most intrested. Still, I think closed Nordic league with 12 clubs would be pretty gem. It would also leave pretty competitive second tier series for both countries own soil.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Swedes are the most conservative on doing anything new to their sports. No merning talks between the league officials, im pretty sure. If Swedish league finds a way to seperate even more from others, it will do it probably :D

But it does make sense from fans point of view. The problem is, the HC fans of the teams in both countries are very traditionalist and probably not most intrested. Still, I think closed Nordic league with 12 clubs would be pretty gem. It would also leave pretty competitive second tier series for both countries own soil.

Even though it's off-topic; there is no way Sweden would accept a 12 club league, in which I assume maximum 6 would be Swedish. Sweden would send at least 10 clubs, and that's already pushing it. The most powerful clubs are also some of the most conservative.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Even though it's off-topic; there is no way Sweden would accept a 12 club league, in which I assume maximum 6 would be Swedish. Sweden would send at least 10 clubs, and that's already pushing it. The most powerful clubs are also some of the most conservative.

Back when there was actual talk of a Nordic league (Finns were behind the idea), I think the idea was 10-12 teams from Sweden and 8-10 teams from Finland. There would have been relegation/promotion inside each respective countries.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
There is a 0% chance of them being able to join the Swedish league. SHL would laugh in the phone and hang up.

Wouldn't surprise me if Jörgen, Loob and Helber would think it's a greaaat idea to put Riga in SHL!

"Meh, what the heck, everyone else would like it aswell!" :sarcasm:

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki

It would never happen, at least not from a Swedish perspective. Just the talk of giving two "wild cards" (direct promotion to SHL) to two clubs in the second division Hockeyallsvenskan, remove Kvalserien (most beautiful thing in hockey) and replace it with a playout+playoff made everyone go against the SHL-board. SHL-fans even threatened to boycott the games!

Imagine if they would bring up the talk to close the league entirely, oh my God, God bless them that they'll get out alive :laugh:

Edit: Hockeyallsvenskan would become as bad as Mestis is today with a closed league, no one wants that in Sweden. Right now, Hockeyallsvenskan is unofficially the best second division league in Europe, with a lot of media interest and TV-games. Even now when SHL has removed Kvalserien from next season, Hockeyallsvenskan will probably lose some interest and skills.

If they could still use the promotion/relegation system with one or two clubs from each country every season, people would probably be more open to that proposal in a Swedish point of view.

Last edited:

VladNYC*

If Latvians want to be stupid and brash and ruin their hockey program then as our American friends say, "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out".

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
If Latvians want to be stupid and brash and ruin their hockey program

Please, explain to us how Dinamo is sustaining (or simply is) our hockey system, that non-existance of it would ruin everything? :) The only consequence of Dinamo folding, is that ~15 our pro's would again playing abroad and that really has no affect on anything.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Just an FYI to any and all parties interested in mixing sports and politics related to the current situation, there is a thread in the political forum now devoted to the topic of how the current political climate/events affect sports.
that's strange, i can't for the life of me find the political forum on these boards. lucky me, i wouldn't get off with warnings from the moderators if i found it:laugh:
If Latvians want to be stupid and brash and ruin their hockey program then as our American friends say, "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out".
yep, it'd be wise to have some alternative instead of the khl like a nordic league or now defunct EEHL. do it!!!

Last edited:

alce*

that's strange, i can't for the life of me find the political forum on these boards. lucky me, i wouldn't get off with warnings from the moderators if i found it:laugh:

There is no moderation there.:naughty:

jaco

Oct 21, 2011
Please, explain to us how Dinamo is sustaining (or simply is) our hockey system, that non-existance of it would ruin everything? :) The only consequence of Dinamo folding, is that ~15 our pro's would again playing abroad and that really has no affect on anything.
There would be 15 pro's playing abroad right away. Within 3 years there would be 5, within 6 years 0..... That's all..

Viktus

Jul 15, 2012
There was Latvian hockey before KHL, and will be after. Our most perspective player now Girgensons never had any relations to KHL, so did Kenins, Merzlikins and several other great prospects.
However, saying that KHL did not give anything to Latvian hockey is just as stupid. Guys like Indrasis and Gudlevskis are pure Dinamo Riga product, and they are elite guys for Latvian hockey. Also, I do not want to lose club hockey - Im to addicted to hockey now to get back to only watching it during WC and OG.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
There would be 15 pro's playing abroad right away. Within 3 years there would be 5, within 6 years 0..... That's all..

Care to explain why? They were plenty of pros playing in Europe before and so it will be in case DR is no more.

There was Latvian hockey before KHL, and will be after. Our most perspective player now Girgensons never had any relations to KHL, so did Kenins, Merzlikins and several other great prospects.
Exactly.
However, saying that KHL did not give anything to Latvian hockey is just as stupid. Guys like Indrasis and Gudlevskis are pure Dinamo Riga product, and they are elite guys for Latvian hockey. Also, I do not want to lose club hockey - Im to addicted to hockey now to get back to only watching it during WC and OG.
Indrasis is a "pure" DR product? :huh: He was 18 when DR was revived and if it weren't for Nolan, he might of been playing abroad already.

Viktus

Jul 15, 2012
Indrasis is a "pure" DR product? :huh: He was 18 when DR was revived and if it weren't for Nolan, he might of been playing abroad already.

So you consider 18 year old player to be fully mature and developed?And Nolan saw Indrasis after what, three years in dinamo system? Although I might overrate DRs role in his development, its not like he was a superstar when he came to DR. The same can be said about Pavlovs. And Darzins. When he was 22 and playing in
the belorusian league, who knew what amazing player he would develop into?

Last edited:

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Latvians know better, but I don't see this happenning right now. There must be some really bad blood between Latvia and Russia for that to happen

As somebody has mentioned, the Finnish league would be a choice in case this happens.

Would be bad (clearly not terminal) for the KHL, but, hey, I'll take anything right now which brings the end of Mordor closer and frees MY COUNTRY:)

Last edited:

alce*

Would be bad (clearly not terminal) for the KHL, but, hey, I'll take anything right now which brings the end of Mordor closer and frees MY COUNTRY:)

It wouldn't be have any impact on KHL whatsoever. Neither Dynamo nor Latvian market have any significant importance for the KHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
It wouldn't be have any impact on KHL whatsoever.

Loosing a team on political grounds would be quite bad for the image. Not saying that it would the end of the world. And DR is a great team, great fans, it has been an expansion successs story so far... If "loosing DR/Slovan/Lev (substitute)" has "no impact whatsoever" what's the point behind the expansion drive?

alce*

Loosing a team on political grounds would be quite bad for the image. Not saying that it would the end of the world. And DR is a great team, great fans, it has been an expansion successs story so far... If "loosing DR/Slovan/Lev (substitute)" has "no impact whatsoever" what's the point behind the expansion drive?

The ultimate point is to get access to rich markets like Germany and Schweiz. DR have already played its role. It was example of team from EU that plays in KHL. Now there is other teams for that. I like DR, but its departure wouldn't have any bad effect on KHL now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad