Utah team nickname/colors/logo (and related marketing)

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yes, I kind of figured something as such. It was the Mormon "Temple" that gave me the idea, but it wasn't really serious.

I did see two other options mentioned in another video, though:
Cougars or Stingers...

Revising my list, this time ordering them best first:
1. Wolf Pack
2. Mammoths
3. Cougars
4. Stingers
5. Yeti
6. Blizzard
7. Icemen
8. Raptors

And damn, that reaction certainly makes a guy feel good. :)

Hadn't thought of the LDS Temple angle, but I think all my points still apply.

Cougars would be a no-go because of the BYU Cougars.

Stingers - look earlier in the thread I was arguing for the Utah Buzz (would rhyme with Jazz, go with the honeybee theme). There is however a Triple-A baseball team. Currently known as the Salt Lake Bees, but it was previously known as both the Salt Lake Buzz and the Salt Lake Stingers. That might put a block on both names.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I do think we've fallen into too much of an expectation where we assume teams have to be named after something specific about their city, state, or region.

Meanwhile, Las Vegas is about as far away from any place that confers knighthoods as possible, the Kraken was a traditionally Atlantic thing, and Yetis aren't the sasquatches that allegedly, but don't, exist in the nebulous northwest.

Just have fun with the name. And Utah already has a good track record of names that make zero sense for the city at first glance anyway.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I do think we've fallen into too much of an expectation where we assume teams have to be named after something specific about their city, state, or region.

Meanwhile, Las Vegas is about as far away from any place that confers knighthoods as possible, the Kraken was a traditionally Atlantic thing, and Yetis aren't the sasquatches that allegedly, but don't, exist in the nebulous northwest.

On the other hand...

Last time I was in Vegas we saw a very exciting medeival knights show at the Excaliber hotel, and the name has a kind of double meaning if you think of "golden nights" in Sin City. Seattle is an ocean city and the Kraken a sea monster.

The Winnipeg Jets in 1.0 times was a kind of odd name - chosen apparently because the original owner was a NY Jets fan. When TNSE brought the name back though they took steps to "authenticate" the name - linking it to the city's military aviation history, which I thought was a really nice touch.

So while a team name doesn't have to link to the city, it's always kind of nice when it does.

Just have fun with the name. And Utah already has a good track record of names that make zero sense for the city at first glance anyway.

But there is that... :lol:

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I saw someone somewhere suggest Utah Arches, so what about the Utah Monuments. Actually, now that I think of it, I like that a lot.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Hadn't thought of the LDS Temple angle, but I think all my points still apply.

Cougars would be a no-go because of the BYU Cougars.

Stingers - look earlier in the thread I was arguing for the Utah Buzz (would rhyme with Jazz, go with the honeybee theme). There is however a Triple-A baseball team. Currently known as the Salt Lake Bees, but it was previously known as both the Salt Lake Buzz and the Salt Lake Stingers. That might put a block on both names.
Adders to your "block" rebuttal ...
Wolf Pack = Name of NYR AHL affiliate
Icemen = Name of Buff Sabres' ECHL affiliate
Stealing team names from within a single sport are almost always contested, or at least subject to legal distractions for the startup organization.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Adders to your "block" rebuttal ...
Wolf Pack = Name of NYR AHL affiliate
Icemen = Name of Buff Sabres' ECHL affiliate
Stealing team names from within a single sport are almost always contested, or at least subject to legal distractions for the startup organization.
actually if u look closer at Hartford it's Wolf*Pack... u have to put the asterisk between f & P

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
actually if u look closer at Hartford it's Wolf*Pack... u have to put the asterisk between f & P
If you're serious about this, you need to ditch the asterisk & find the ALT code for a 5-pointed star. THAT'S what's in the Wolf Pack logo, but not used in other published versions of the Wolf Pack name.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I'm interested in the potential hidden symbolism with the name Monuments, but with Wolf Pack I'd just go with a 3-head snarling wolf logo. Not this exactly, of course, but something like this:
360_F_330867869_cQH04p0tk7UDoFNFDXsyUpXcgnTOrYJJ.jpg

Just the wolf faces, the rest no.

Last edited:

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Reactions: Spydey629

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
On the other hand...

Last time I was in Vegas we saw a very exciting medeival knights show at the Excaliber hotel, and the name has a kind of double meaning if you think of "golden nights" in Sin City. Seattle is an ocean city and the Kraken a sea monster.

The Winnipeg Jets in 1.0 times was a kind of odd name - chosen apparently because the original owner was a NY Jets fan. When TNSE brought the name back though they took steps to "authenticate" the name - linking it to the city's military aviation history, which I thought was a really nice touch.

So while a team name doesn't have to link to the city, it's always kind of nice when it does.

But there is that... :lol:

yep, Las Vegas Knights was an early idea because of the play on Nights. Foley liked the idea, but wanted to link it more strongly with the military. I can’t remember if that was before or after it was clear the London Knights would try to make trouble for them if they went purely with Knights.

I said earlier in the thread that it needs to have a local connection or a good story, but a connection to ownership could work too. There are really aren’t many NHL teams whose names are essentially random. Kings, Bruins, Sabres, Flyers, and Penguins (sort of). Everyone else has a local connection, a good story, or a connection to the original owner. Also notice that none of those random team names are at all recent and that 3 of the 5 employ alliteration.

Last edited:

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I was looking at the list of state symbols for Utah, thinking that could give me some nickname ideas...

I decided they should have a copper, topaz and cherry color scheme. But as for names, it's Trout, Bee-related things, Allosauruses, Brine Schrimp, or perhaps the Dutch Ovens.
Swarm. Utah flag features a beehive. Bees are a common motivational symbol in Mormon doctrine, not exactly holy but commonly used as an example in their teachings, so it would have local meaning.

Besides, swarms of bees are intimidating. Something that punishes you if you don't take it seriously.

Also bees are awesome and worthy of respect because we starve without them so that too.

They won't do it but it would bee awesome if they did. The Salt Lake Swarm. The only drawback is YET ANOTHER team with a black and gold color scheme.

Reactions: FMichael

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
I'm a little late to this. Haven't been paying a lot of attention to even know that this relocation was even made. Anyway, I've now watched a few videos regarding names that are being considered, and here's my take away from that, plus a couple of my own ideas. Of the names I've heard being considered, there are four that I think may have potential:
1. Mammoths (Yes, there were mammoths in Utah.)
2. Yeti (without the s)
3. Blizzard (Another zz to match the Jazz)
4. Ice (No, no, no), but what about Icemen

5. Raptors (Saw one video where this was suggested. And why not? there are two professional teams with Rangers, Jets, Kings, Panthers, Giants, Cardinals, and Lions.)
6. Wolf Pack (Again, there are teams with two word names, the most recent being Golden Knights. And there are wolves in Utah.)
7. Coyotes (And again, why not? Other teams have been relocated and kept the name; the Jazz again being one example of that. And there are coyotes in Utah.)
8. Templars (Just thought I'd throw that one in.)
Yes!!!
Finally someone agrees with me that Templars would be a great name!
And yes, I know why it won’t be Templars or crusaders.
Still both great names.
Utah Toons ( yeti, blizzard, snuffelufagus) seems to be the way.

Last edited:

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
I was thinking about the Arches the other day, and remembered the name "Monolith". Wondered about the name Utah Monoliths. Weird, I know. :joker:
Naming a team in a very fast paced sport after an immoveable rock formation. Sounds on point for the NHL.

"Well, Bob, let's see what happened on that goal. As you can see the Monolith are stuck in their own zone and aren't moving their feet but they are standing in the way of the shooting lanes. You can see Carr race around them and take a shot past the goalie who was probably screened and didn't move."

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Naming a team in a very fast paced sport after an immoveable rock formation. Sounds on point for the NHL.

"Well, Bob, let's see what happened on that goal. As you can see the Monolith are stuck in their own zone and aren't moving their feet but they are standing in the way of the shooting lanes. You can see Carr race around them and take a shot past the goalie who was probably screened and didn't move."

Eh, the defending champs in the NBA are the Nuggets. That's about as boring of a team name imaginable. Wouldn't be just a weird NHL thing.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad