Player Discussion: Dimitry Kulikov, the Russian Rifle

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Poolman endured the "trial by fire" and is only recently (and for a bit last season, to be fair) looking like he belongs, albeit perhaps not as a top 4 D. If you want your prospects to develop you've got to trust them at some point to play in the NHL, despite concerns about some aspect(s) of their game.

I'm continually surprised by the circular arguments I see here regarding prospects: "X isn't playing in the NHL because X hasn't proven that he can play in the NHL because X hasn't played in the NHL." WTH?

Play him. Give him some games without the pressure of benching if he makes a mistake or two, with the knowledge that even our best D have made their fair share of howlers. Coach him after every shift and after every game. Go over areas of weakness and strength and watch for adjustment/ improvement. Even the worst D isn't going to cost you game after game (as we know from this year so far). Then you know.

I'm just curious on your perspective. Would you have benched one of the starting 6 just to play Niku, even though the team was winning, because Niku is fundamental to develop, over winning? Ok, we then had an injury, which provides an opportunity. First Beaulieu then Kulikov. But then Niku gets hurt. Where did it go wrong?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Do we know what Chevy is doing with Kulikov? Bring him back on a cheap deal or let him go via UFA? Any discussions ongoing to bring him back?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do we know what Chevy is doing with Kulikov? Bring him back on a cheap deal or let him go via UFA? Any discussions ongoing to bring him back?

I think we have our quota of depth Dmen. Any further changes will be for an upgrade.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Never understood what anyone saw in Kuli, good luck elsewhere.

I feel like Kuli was part of the same orginzational over-reaction that saw us sign Mason, and then overreact again to lose Mason.

When he wasn't injured he occasionally showed flashes of speed and skill and limited physicality; other than that didn't make much impression, except as a whole lotta cash we weren't able to spend on someone better. If a nothingburger played D in the NHL in-between chronic injuries and got paid millions for it he'd be Kulikov, I guess.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Don't let the door hit you on your ass on the way out Kulikov because you would be out injured for 6 months. :laugh:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Kulikov signs with the Devils 1 year contract Was good here when he wasn’t injured.
Didn’t show much in past 2 season to warrant resigning.

Decent enough regular season player but never stepped up his game in the playoffs. His departure is Samberg's opportunity.

Reactions: Inshallah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad