Player Discussion: Dimitry Kulikov, the Russian Rifle

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Happy for Kulikov and the Jets that he’s back and apparently very healthy. We need him back there on D very badly.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
This guy is replacing Enstrom and more. Good hitter, skater and a pretty good slapper...smart defensively as well. We'll have a really good D corps once everyone is healthy.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
If Kulikov can play well enough that hes movable in the summer that would be a tremendous gift for Chevy. As it stands right now you’d have to package some assets to get rid of his cap hit.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If Kulikov can play well enough that hes movable in the summer that would be a tremendous gift for Chevy. As it stands right now you’d have to package some assets to get rid of his cap hit.

I don't see why you would want to move him. We have only 3 quality defenseman signed next year. Buff, Morrissey, Kulikov. Niku will get more ice time as well. At $4.25 million you are getting a 20 minute per night defenseman, with a lot of smarts. I won't speculate on anyone's future because I think that the playoffs will ultimately decide Chevy's route, as I don't think it is laid out. But I'd be really surprised if we moved him. And we would get a good return, the way he is playing, if we did. At least a 2nd. So far in 8 years we've moved 3 players under contract that I remember. 2 in the Kane trade, and Mason for a buyout. Army was an RFA. Ponikarovsky? That just does not seem like the Jets way. If we trade Trouba, the fact Kuli has shown he can play RD, makes him even more valuable.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don't see why you would want to move him. We have only 3 quality defenseman signed next year. Buff, Morrissey, Kulikov. Niku will get more ice time as well. At $4.25 million you are getting a 20 minute per night defenseman, with a lot of smarts. I won't speculate on anyone's future because I think that the playoffs will ultimately decide Chevy's route, as I don't think it is laid out. But I'd be really surprised if we moved him. And we would get a good return, the way he is playing, if we did. At least a 2nd. So far in 8 years we've moved 3 players under contract that I remember. 2 in the Kane trade, and Mason for a buyout. Army was an RFA. Ponikarovsky? That just does not seem like the Jets way. If we trade Trouba, the fact Kuli has shown he can play RD, makes him even more valuable.

Sign Laine/Connor/Trouba first, then if we don't have enough cap space, trade Kulikov. Otherwise keep him (or re-sign Myers).

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018

Because he’s a third pair guy at best making over 4 million dollars? You can get guys like him or better on the waiver wire every year.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Because he’s a third pair guy at best making over 4 million dollars? You can get guys like him or better on the waiver wire every year.

If you think you can find a defenseman like Kulikov off the waiver wire, I think you are mistaken.

Our free agent signings began with Derek Meech and Eric Fehr. Between him, Brossoit and Perreault I think we have signed quality players.

I won't predict what direction our management goes, as I think the playoffs hold the cards.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
If you think you can find a defenseman like Kulikov off the waiver wire, I think you are mistaken.

Our free agent signings began with Derek Meech and Eric Fehr. Between him, Brossoit and Perreault I think we have signed quality players.

I won't predict what direction our management goes, as I think the playoffs hold the cards.

Lol Kulikov is nothing special.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I like Kulikov when he’s keeping it simple. I’ve noticed him trying to make a big hit or 2 lately leading to odd man rushes. Our goalies bailing him out, probably saves him from the wolves on here a bit.
He might make a good partner for Niku next year depending on how things play out this offseason.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
He’s a third pair D man on his best day making 4.3 mil. That’s not good.
your so out to lunch or just trolling for reactions. kulikov is what you want in a 3rd dman that can seemless transition to top 4 with injuries on his "best" days as u state he is a good #4 if we werent such a cap starved team he would be tremendous value at 4 mill and he will get that with a team like montreal/vancouver etc and be worth his pay. unfortunetly we have alot of d man decisions to make this off season and if we trade for muzzin things get even more complicated

if we have to trade kuli at the draft we will get at least a 3rd if he keeps his play up. going into the playoffs i would be confident with

muzzin trouba
morrisey buff
kuli myers
chirot

swap muzz/jmo if needed

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Kulikov is a very solid, great skating D man when he plays like he can (and has been the last month+)

Reactions: Eyeseeing

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
your so out to lunch or just trolling for reactions. kulikov is what you want in a 3rd dman that can seemless transition to top 4 with injuries on his "best" days as u state he is a good #4 if we werent such a cap starved team he would be tremendous value at 4 mill and he will get that with a team like montreal/vancouver etc and be worth his pay. unfortunetly we have alot of d man decisions to make this off season and if we trade for muzzin things get even more complicated

if we have to trade kuli at the draft we will get at least a 3rd if he keeps his play up. going into the playoffs i would be confident with

muzzin trouba
morrisey buff
kuli myers
chirot

swap muzz/jmo if needed

Kulikov would be an ok 3rd pair d man if he was making third pair money but he’s not. Guys like Kulikov or better can be found all around the league for around a million dollars or less.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Kulikov would be an ok 3rd pair d man if he was making third pair money but he’s not. Guys like Kulikov or better can be found all around the league for around a million dollars or less.

Morrow, Chiarot and Kulikov are All 6/7 d men but Kulikov is making a lot more money.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Morrow, Chiarot and Kulikov are All 6/7 d men but Kulikov is making a lot more money.
if you think morrow or chiarot have the overall same game as kulikov your crazy. only reason hes playing 3rd pair is cus we have good d men and buff drags chiarot "who i will give credit for having a great year" up to passable shut down top 4.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Care to name a few that are better for a million or less?

Jets have two players just as bad as Kulikov on the D corps already for a lot less. In a short sample size Poolman has been a big upgrade. Look at Nashville they have weber and Hamhuis, Blues have Burtuzzo, Oilers trades for 3 of them a few weeks back. Blues traded for Carrick start of the year he’s miles better than Morrow or Chiapet.

Sinking term and money into your third pair is how you end up in trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad