Player Discussion: Dimitry Kulikov, the Russian Rifle

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
upload_2019-1-28_23-35-14.png

Erm...

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
if you think morrow or chiarot have the overall same game as kulikov your crazy. only reason hes playing 3rd pair is cus we have good d men and buff drags chiarot "who i will give credit for having a great year" up to passable shut down top 4.

Kulikov can be a slight upgrade over those two but he’s making 3 times as much money.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Morrow at 1 mil is an ideal third pair / 7th d man singing.

Kulikov at 4.3 is not.
To be fair, I'm having trouble figuring out what is it that makes Morrow stand out from the rest of that garbage bunch - and why Kulikov is so low. Kulikov's xGF% is over 55, whereas Morrow's is under 45. Both produce points at a somewhat similar (bad) rate at 5v5, and Kulikov beats Morrow in RelCF%. Heck, both even have the exact same GF% of 50.

Truly weird. Kulikov is overpaid by a good amount, but with regards to that chart, I'm baffled.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Jets have two players just as bad as Kulikov on the D corps already for a lot less. In a short sample size Poolman has been a big upgrade. Look at Nashville they have weber and Hamhuis, Blues have Burtuzzo, Oilers trades for 3 of them a few weeks back. Blues traded for Carrick start of the year he’s miles better than Morrow or Chiapet.

Sinking term and money into your third pair is how you end up in trouble.

Why are you comparing them to Morrow or Chariot, your original argument was there are players like Kulikov or better making less than a million a year. Of that list you made, one of them makes less than $1 million (Yannick Weber). I'm assuming you are talking about Connor Carrick, who has never played a game for the Blues (but also makes over a million a year). Not sure which 3 Oilers you are referring to.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Kulikov is overpaid by a good amount, but with regards to that chart, I'm baffled.
in regards to his 5v5 he was never healthy enough to produce so he was def overpaid in that regard but now that hes looking healthy and mobile for the first time he is taking more offensive chances and i would bet after a significant sample size his production jumps and shows his true value. wich to us i would say is 2.75 per year but he will get 4 mill once hes a free agent and earn it with a team that needs d men

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
To be fair, I'm having trouble figuring out what is it that makes Morrow stand out from the rest of that garbage bunch - and why Kulikov is so low. Kulikov's xGF% is over 55, whereas Morrow's is under 45. Both produce points at a somewhat similar (bad) rate at 5v5, and Kulikov beats Morrow in RelCF%. Heck, both even have the exact same GF% of 50.

Truly weird. Kulikov is overpaid by a good amount, but with regards to that chart, I'm baffled.

We paid Mark Stuart $2.5 million per year. We replaced him with Kulikov, and got a significant upgrade. On a healthy team we have 3 strong pairings, which is a serious advantage.

This overpaid bottom pairing bitching is nonsense, and the charts are as vague as a doctor's signature.

But for me the final judgment of Kulikov can't be passed until the playoffs, when the games count the most.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
We paid Mark Stuart $2.5 million per year. We replaced him with Kulikov, and got a significant upgrade. On a healthy team we have 3 strong pairings, which is a serious advantage.

This overpaid bottom pairing *****ing is nonsense, and the charts are as vague as a doctor's signature.

But for me the final judgment of Kulikov can't be passed until the playoffs, when the games count the most.
So many holes in this one...

If Stuart is the baseline, everyone will be an upgrade.

We don't have three solid pairs. People far wiser than me have figured that out a long time ago. We have a good top pairing, a guy who can carry one of the dead weights we have on D, and a shaky, overpaid third pairing. A fairly paid pairing would deliver something of substance. Neither Kulikov nor Myers do that.

You ignore solid data in a form of the chart I posted for what reason exactly?

Finally, the playoffs are a lottery. They mean less than a larger sanple size known as the regular season.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
So many holes in this one...

If Stuart is the baseline, everyone will be an upgrade.

We don't have three solid pairs. People far wiser than me have figured that out a long time ago. We have a good top pairing, a guy who can carry one of the dead weights we have on D, and a shaky, overpaid third pairing. A fairly paid pairing would deliver something of substance. Neither Kulikov nor Myers do that.

You ignore solid data in a form of the chart I posted for what reason exactly?

Finally, the playoffs are a lottery. They mean less than a larger sanple size known as the regular season.

Playoffs matter. That's what you play the season for. A good regular season player, who chokes in the playoffs, is not a good investment. Kulikov had only one game last year our final one:

And as for the chart. It's just that a chart, with numbers. No analysis of or beyond the numbers.

Dead weights? Is this empirical evidence? How far do we get in the playoffs last year without Myers? And his offensive leadership. Benny was really good for 2 playoffs rounds. That's dead weight? I'm curious who you think is the solution?

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Kuli-Myers are taking up about 9.8m of cap. Think about that for a minute.
Having said that, I think they play well together, especially if Buff is coupled with Chiarot but I would love to see what Niku and Buff look like.
Myers has been way more consistent with less boneheaded plays in his own end for a few weeks now. If he kept up that play and added the attitude of a Buff or Trouba or even Morrissey, he'd be welcome under 5m...but I know he won't.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I've always liked Kuli and the overall game he plays. Thought it was a bit of a gamble to pick him up given the horrific injury he suffered in Buffalo, but if he can stay healthy going forward, he'll be a very strong piece of the backend for the Jets.
He's had horrible luck. Every time he starts playing well he gets hurt. Hope he can stay healthy into the playoffs because he is exactly the stabilizer we need for Myers. That pair together just works.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Will he be in the top 4 to start the year?
To really prevent injuries, he should just play every second game. Maybe jets roll with 8 dmen on a rotating basis. Our dmen are getting injured too much.

Better preventative injury management this year.

Kawhi Leonard type injury prevention management.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
He’s a third pair D man on his best day making 4.3 mil. That’s not good.

Third pairing defensemen play more minutes then 2nd line forwards.

Kuli's been trending upwards for sometime now, but yes he began last season in the doghouse. I think he took the summer off off from training to help heal and was likely out of shape. He'd have had to be to be scratched for Morrow.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Super excited for this year for Dmitri. Seems as if he feels better than he has at any point as a Jet. Hoping he can stay healthy and show what he can do, he'll have lots of opportunity this year.

Hot Take: Jets D will be better this year than last. Book it.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I like Kuli. During those brief healthy periods over the past few years he's shown he can play a smart, disciplined puck-moving game. Would be great to see him turn it on and stay healthy in a contract year.

Is the OP's "Russian Rifle' moniker tongue in cheek? Would have thought something with "oft-injured, walking-wounded," "handle with care," "GlassMan" might have been more apt.

Reactions: Halberdier

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think we see much better team D this year.
That is the BIG opportunity for this team. A more responsible forward group better positionally, better back pressure and more dedicated to getting the puck out then trying something high risk will allow the defense to keep their gaps tighter and be more aggressive.

I think Pionk will surprise those who haven't already made up their minds. Beaulieu played very well for us last year (even with the occasional brain fart), and a healthy Kulikov will give us physicality and some force in our own zone.

Reactions: voyageur

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
That is the BIG opportunity for this team. A more responsible forward group better positionally, better back pressure and more dedicated to getting the puck out then trying something high risk will allow the defense to keep their gaps tighter and be more aggressive.

I think Pionk will surprise those who haven't already made up their minds. Beaulieu played very well for us last year (even with the occasional brain fart), and a healthy Kulikov will give us physicality and some force in our own zone.
Excluding Beaulieu, I agree with all of this.

Reactions: Jet

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Looking at this thread title, I'd say his rifle was filled with blanks lately! :laugh:

Seriously now, sorry to hear he may be injured. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad