Player Discussion: Dimitry Kulikov, the Russian Rifle

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
There is probably an existing thread about him, somewhere in the depths of our forum.

But what can you say about this guy?

Oft injured, we never saw his best game last year.

Started off as a healthy scratch, behind Morrow.

Now he is no longer a Stulikov but a force.

He makes a lot of strong defensive zone plays. Has shown the ability to lead the rush. The Jets are getting good value in this stretch for a free agent we sought out to be a piece of the puzzle in our defensive corps.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There is probably an existing thread about him, somewhere in the depths of our forum.

But what can you say about this guy?

Oft injured, we never saw his best game last year.

Started off as a healthy scratch, behind Morrow.

Now he is no longer a Stulikov but a force.

He makes a lot of strong defensive zone plays. Has shown the ability to lead the rush. The Jets are getting good value in this stretch for a free agent we sought out to be a piece of the puzzle in our defensive corps.

Finally healthy. Hope it lasts.

If it does, I would keep him next year. Too soon to say beyond that. Too many variables.

Reactions: voyageur

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
He was very underrated last year before his injury. Seems to me he's finally getting back to that form. It's funny how Kulikov came back and everyone started thinking Myers isn't a tire fire defensively all of a sudden - the truth is Kulikov is one of the better defenders on the Jets at disrupting the cycle and regaining the puck.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I think he is a long term keeper depending on his health. I like watching him play.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He looked very good last year -- smart, solid, smooth-skating and generally unflustered defender with a good first pass and surprising physicality, and a perfect complement to Myers, since he fills in virtually all of Myers's flaws and lets him play as the incredibly tall roving winger he seems to think he is. If he can stay healthy he's a real stabilizing force on the back end and adds some relief for JMo.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
He's certainly increasing his trade value which is a great thing! Can Kuli play both RHD and LHD?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Didn't Kuli play the right side last game?
I have probably been one of the hardest on Myers but he did start playing better a couple of games before Kuli was back.
Kuli does complement him well and adds a degree of defense to the Myers' pairing though. I would love to have a healthy Kuli for the playofffs. Keep him next year and give Samberg a year with the Moose and let Niku round out his game before he is called up permanently. A healthy Kuli goes a long way in the proper development of younger players. Now, if Chevy picked up Ryan Murray or a player like Muzzin, I might be inclined to trade him this summer.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Agreed! Kuli has been good! Now that he's getting his timing back wait for the huge open ice hits he was once known for in FLA!

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
58.26 xGF% this season, according to Corsica. Leads the Jets in raw xGF%, second only to Copp in relative xGF%.

Definitely a positive sight to see, after all the injury problems he had. If he could stabilise the third pairing, that would be a pleasant surprise.

(disclaimer: ridiculously small sample size alert, but the goodwill lives on)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I've always liked Kulikov - that last game was his best as a Jet. Looks like he's healthy and finally in the type of shape he wants to be in to play his game. He is confident, assertive and strong. Hope he can teach Myers more of that.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He's been a solid defenceman for us, albeit overpaid. When he's on, he's a calming presence on D like Enstrom was. The main problem with Kulikov has been injuries and consistency. I imagine that the consistency factor may also be related to playing through said injuries, but it's too hard to judge at this point. His last few games have been excellent and hopefully a new norm that helps elevate the team further.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think he is a long term keeper depending on his health. I like watching him play.
I don't think the Jets should resign him unless he's willing to take a pay cut. I do think, however, it lets the Jets ride out his contract without having to pay to get rid of him. I am too afraid that he would get injured again if it came to resigning him no matter how great he's been playing.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I assumed Kuli would be gone after this year for cap reasons.

His solid rebound after injury is encouraging and may prompt Chevy to keep him. Depends a lot on Trouba I suppose.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
A healthy Kulikov is great to have. I wonder what his pricetag would be if he was to be extended? We have a few younger D coming up the next couple of years and Kuli's calm but physical style and experience could work really well with Niku, for example.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Kulikov’s skating was some of the best I’ve seen (when the team was to Helsinki). He’s so good when he’s healthy and he’ll only get better now! So happy to have him. Also seems like a nice guy.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
A healthy Kulikov is great to have. I wonder what his pricetag would be if he was to be extended? We have a few younger D coming up the next couple of years and Kuli's calm but physical style and experience could work really well with Niku, for example.

This is a really good point. The Jets desperately need a 3rd line D who has some of the attributes shown by Kulikov to help rookie D make the jump to the NHL game . Someone who will be supportive and cover up for the inevitable miscues that will occur, and someone with a little bite physically who will make them more comfortable on the ice. It is a major bonus that Kulikov can play either side so as to fit with any and all newcomers.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm really happy to see him (or any player) come back from such an injury and be a very useful player again. That has to be a scary situation, and he must have worked very hard in rehab.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Enjoyed reading through this thread, and agreed Kuli has been playing very well for us now that he seems healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad