Player Discussion: Dimitry Kulikov, the Russian Rifle

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I feel bad that Kuli has been playing injured but imo his issues have gone far beyond injury related. He’s been pretty good supporting the offence but defensively he’s just been lost.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I feel bad that Kuli has been playing injured but imo his issues have gone far beyond injury related. He’s been pretty good supporting the offence but defensively he’s just been lost.

He's Jekyll and Hyde. I mean he shut down Taylor Hall last week. He often gets matched up against the best players in the league, that's an increased role from last year. His penalty troubles are a little concerning, but hey we are getting 20 minutes of decent hockey out of him. I'm not complaining. If he goes down, Beaulieu likely moves up, and then it is next man up.

Reactions: rednivlab

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Anyone know the NHL record for man-games lost to injury in a season, and how close we are to it?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
It's weird but I kind of feel like we could throw any old AHL D man out there and we will be fine. I mean, I know it is irrational and can't be true. But look at where we are so far this year. Warning - this feeling requires you must suspend all knowledge that in general terms we are still dealing with a very small sample size of games and that by most objective statistical measurements we suck defensively.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
We'll see if he is missed. I think it's not easy to replace him.

He's been playing like a veteran, on a defense without too many veterans. He'll be missed, because he could play shutdown minutes. Sbisa in a top 4 role is stretching his capacity. If Beaulieu comes back, he can fit in to top 4 minutes easier. Opportunity for someone else.

I mean I would like to see Morrissey-Poolman, Beaulieu-Pionk, Sbisa-Niku down the road in December, but it all depends on whether Josh can kill penalties regularly, or Poolman is capable of regular reps, if neither can Bitetto gets the nod over Niku. With the glut of RD we have on the Moose, I wouldn't mind seeing Kovacevic get a call first to be honest. Until Beaulieu comes back. Send Schilling back.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone know the NHL record for man-games lost to injury in a season, and how close we are to it?
I don't think we're anywhere close to a record. And aside from Little (and Buff being suspended...which isn't quite the same thing - although he's suspended AND injured so idk), we're missing a bunch of nobodies. Bourque? Who misses him? Letestu out for 14 games? Zero impact. Beaulieu out for 15 games...yeah well, six of one replacement-level defenseman, a half dozen of another.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I don't think we're anywhere close to a record. And aside from Little (and Buff being suspended...which isn't quite the same thing - although he's suspended AND injured so idk), we're missing a bunch of nobodies. Bourque? Who misses him? Letestu out for 14 games? Zero impact. Beaulieu out for 15 games...yeah well, six of one replacement-level defenseman, a half dozen of another.

Records just count the games, not the importance of the players lost. And no, this early in the season we probably aren't close but if this keeps up, maybe we will be. BTW, my prediction for Buff is he/NHLPA will win the grievance and his time out will be considered injury related.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Bourque is a spare part, probably better than Luoto in terms of defensive awareness. Letestu was an opportunity for someone younger, I agree. Beaulieu though, our record with him vs. without him speaks to his importance. He's not flashy, but he can win a board battle, and skates well enough to keep the play in front of him. With both Sbisa and Bitetto in the lineup teams can target our speed on the backend again. But being in the right position is something that can make up for the lack of speed.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Records just count the games, not the importance of the players lost. And no, this early in the season we probably aren't close but if this keeps up, maybe we will be. BTW, my prediction for Buff is he/NHLPA will win the grievance and his time out will be considered injury related.

The Jets are 5th in total man-games lost to injury I believe (these are actual injuries, not retired-injuries like Hossa or Horton):

1. Boston - 99
2. Dallas - 81
3. Detroit - 69
4. San Jose 67
5. Winnipeg - 66

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's been playing like a veteran, on a defense without too many veterans. He'll be missed, because he could play shutdown minutes. Sbisa in a top 4 role is stretching his capacity. If Beaulieu comes back, he can fit in to top 4 minutes easier. Opportunity for someone else.

I mean I would like to see Morrissey-Poolman, Beaulieu-Pionk, Sbisa-Niku down the road in December, but it all depends on whether Josh can kill penalties regularly, or Poolman is capable of regular reps, if neither can Bitetto gets the nod over Niku. With the glut of RD we have on the Moose, I wouldn't mind seeing Kovacevic get a call first to be honest. Until Beaulieu comes back. Send Schilling back.

What are the attributes of a good PK'er, specifically defensemen? Some H IQ, to anticipate play. Reflexes to react. Willingness to stand in front of NHL shots. Am I missing something?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What are the attributes of a good PK'er, specifically defensemen? Some H IQ, to anticipate play. Reflexes to react. Willingness to stand in front of NHL shots. Am I missing something?

I think on defense you have to be able to box out, front pucks, keep an active stick in the lane, and it really helps, in a scramble, to be able to win 1 on 1 battles.

JetsCameHome

Sep 19, 2011
Maybe you're seeing something I'm not but kulikov is our worse d man by a mile. Addition by subtraction.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think on defense you have to be able to box out, front pucks, keep an active stick in the lane, and it really helps, in a scramble, to be able to win 1 on 1 battles.

OK. In other words just the most basic defensive play.

The thing is that PK'ing is not something that demands a lot of skill. It is not something that demands a lot of experience or really, a lot of anything else. Beyond that willingness to sacrifice your body. I don't know that Niku does or does not have that willingness. I haven't seen enough of him to have a valid opinion of his defensive stick work either. Or the other parts of his defensive game as they apply to PK'ing. But I don't see any reason to assume that he could not do it just because I haven't seen him do it.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
OK. In other words just the most basic defensive play.

The thing is that PK'ing is not something that demands a lot of skill. It is not something that demands a lot of experience or really, a lot of anything else. Beyond that willingness to sacrifice your body. I don't know that Niku does or does not have that willingness. I haven't seen enough of him to have a valid opinion of his defensive stick work either. Or the other parts of his defensive game as they apply to PK'ing. But I don't see any reason to assume that he could not do it just because I haven't seen him do it.

NHL is not trial by fire though. Unless you are a tank team. You develop a certain skillset. Now I am not sure Niku has developed that skillset. He can run a PP, the Jets have given him that confidence with the Moose. Boxing out the net, and being strong on board battles is another thing. If Pascal Vincent, who is trying to integrate players into Maurice's systems, felt like Niku should be a candidate for a PKing role he would have got those reps with the Moose. To my knowledge he hasn't. We are seeing Poolman just getting his feet wet now, and he was a regular PKer for the Moose. It's really a process as one GM stated. Sbisa essentially took Chiarot's role from last year. If you think about the team we deployed without Buff, Niku was paired with the bigger body to protect the front of the net. I think the Jets wanted Benny back but had a price. They seemed to have found his replacement. Sbisa did not look out of place with Pionk last night. When the dust settles, if Morrissey can take regular contact, as he sure seems to be avoiding hits this year, which tells me his is protecting an injury, maybe there is a spot for Niku with Sbisa, seems like a natural fit, puckmover, with a shot suppressor, net front presence. But Beaulieu was playing some very decent hockey before his injury, so I still see Niku as #7 on the depth chart. And the role that needs to be filled, he doesn't fill. If Pionk or Morrissey who generate a lot of the rushes, went down, we are in the lucky position to have someone who can potentially step in.

For Niku I think he has to get healthy. Maybe mid season we see him, as an injury replacement.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
NHL is not trial by fire though. Unless you are a tank team. You develop a certain skillset. Now I am not sure Niku has developed that skillset. He can run a PP, the Jets have given him that confidence with the Moose. Boxing out the net, and being strong on board battles is another thing. If Pascal Vincent, who is trying to integrate players into Maurice's systems, felt like Niku should be a candidate for a PKing role he would have got those reps with the Moose. To my knowledge he hasn't. We are seeing Poolman just getting his feet wet now, and he was a regular PKer for the Moose. It's really a process as one GM stated. Sbisa essentially took Chiarot's role from last year. If you think about the team we deployed without Buff, Niku was paired with the bigger body to protect the front of the net. I think the Jets wanted Benny back but had a price. They seemed to have found his replacement. Sbisa did not look out of place with Pionk last night. When the dust settles, if Morrissey can take regular contact, as he sure seems to be avoiding hits this year, which tells me his is protecting an injury, maybe there is a spot for Niku with Sbisa, seems like a natural fit, puckmover, with a shot suppressor, net front presence. But Beaulieu was playing some very decent hockey before his injury, so I still see Niku as #7 on the depth chart. And the role that needs to be filled, he doesn't fill. If Pionk or Morrissey who generate a lot of the rushes, went down, we are in the lucky position to have someone who can potentially step in.

For Niku I think he has to get healthy. Maybe mid season we see him, as an injury replacement.

Reps at PK with the Moose is something that a lot more players should be getting. As a development team they should be looking to develop that in as many players as possible. I think it is something they are failing at.

I think you are a little too rigid in defining roles for players. I agree with you on that to a point but not that far. I like the concept of complimentary players paired on D, a more defensively effective player with a more offensive one. I think you are defining them too much by size and net front presence. I prefer to just look at effectiveness. I don't really care how the effectiveness is achieved. But I want the defensive player to be able to cover for his more offensive partner. That is more about mobility and positioning than it is about size and net front presence. I prefer all defensemen to be puckmovers because I take that term to mean capable of getting the puck out of the D zone without losing possession.

Yes Niku has to get healthy. I hope he is given a chance to succeed this season. I mean a real one, where he is set up to succeed. If not, I don't expect him back next year.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Poolman endured the "trial by fire" and is only recently (and for a bit last season, to be fair) looking like he belongs, albeit perhaps not as a top 4 D. If you want your prospects to develop you've got to trust them at some point to play in the NHL, despite concerns about some aspect(s) of their game.

I'm continually surprised by the circular arguments I see here regarding prospects: "X isn't playing in the NHL because X hasn't proven that he can play in the NHL because X hasn't played in the NHL." WTH?

Play him. Give him some games without the pressure of benching if he makes a mistake or two, with the knowledge that even our best D have made their fair share of howlers. Coach him after every shift and after every game. Go over areas of weakness and strength and watch for adjustment/ improvement. Even the worst D isn't going to cost you game after game (as we know from this year so far). Then you know.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->