Did the Leafs strike GOLD with Dermott or Timashov?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
For me Timashov (5th rounder) is >>> than Bracco (2nd rounder) or Martins Dzierkals (3rd rounder). A couple of picks the Leafs generated by trading out of the 1st round.

Which than makes one wonder why he was drafted so late if he was believed to be a sleeper pick?.

It might be his unusual background. Many scouts probably assumed he was a Russian citizen. Of course in recent years Russian players have often preferred to play in the KHL.

In my mind if a kid is playing Canadian Junior then he wants to play in the NHL regardless of his background.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
For me Timashov (5th rounder) is >>> than Bracco (2nd rounder) or Martins Dzierkals (3rd rounder). A couple of picks the Leafs generated by trading out of the 1st round.

Which than makes one wonder why he was drafted so late if he was believed to be a sleeper pick?.

I think it was a lucky turn of events, I'm sure Hunter didn't expect him to be there for the 5th round pick and when he was overlooked by all the other teams and he was the best pick available but he has been followed by Hunter closely with the Quebec Remparts and probably now he see's him as the sleeper pick of the draft.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think it was a lucky turn of events, I'm sure Hunter didn't expect him to be there for the 5th round pick and when he was overlooked by all the other teams and he was the best pick available but he has been followed by Hunter closely with the Quebec Remparts and probably now he see's him as the sleeper pick of the draft.

Hunter BPA own ranking must have had players he drafted in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds ahead of 5th rounder Timashov.

Leafs were lucky to get Tima in the later rounds, and it would be worse if he wasn't available and ended up elsewhere while Leafs were selecting other players instead of him.

Its not like nobody knew of him as he had 71 assists and 90 points last year while playing in the CHL and played in the Memorial Cup for and national championship. Teams just didn't think too highly of him at draft time including the Leafs.

So I always find it odd when scouts call these guys sleepers, but always wonder then why didn't they draft them higher if they thought they were better then ones drafted earlier. :help:

They call them sleepers (having NHL potential), but also didn't have enough faith in their NHL potential and future to take them higher. Seems like a catch 22 here.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
All the things said about Dermott are the same things we said about Finn (other than skating)
Hopefully he develops better...

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
All the things said about Dermott are the same things we said about Finn (other than skating)
Hopefully he develops better...

Finn's skating wasn't just below average for pro hockey it was below average for junior hockey. The guy had no chance to play in the NHL. Just another wasted pick by bad management.

Dermott needs to move the puck more quickly in order to be effective in transition at the pro level but he's miles ahead of Finn in his skating. Right now he projects to be a top 4 d-man. Something like a Ryan McDonagh.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Timashov
Dermott
Johnson
Brown

All late round guys drafted in the past 4 years after striking out in the later rounds 5 years in a row prior

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Finn's skating wasn't just below average for pro hockey it was below average for junior hockey. The guy had no chance to play in the NHL. Just another wasted pick by bad management.

Dermott needs to move the puck more quickly in order to be effective in transition at the pro level but he's miles ahead of Finn in his skating. Right now he projects to be a top 4 d-man. Something like a Ryan McDonagh.

This just isn't what the prospect ponies around here were saying about Finn.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Finn was a good prospect, but couldn't improve on his weaknesses. Blacker too.

Valiev seems to be adjusting better to the pros, but with growing pains.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Finn also got screwed around by injuries. I don't see a lot of similarities between he and Dermott

Lots of North American scouts and management personnel seems to have pretty pronounced biases against Europeans - ie when Burke ran the Leafs he made little effort to hide his dislike of Russian players.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Timashov
Dermott
Johnson
Brown

All late round guys drafted in the past 4 years after striking out in the later rounds 5 years in a row prior

Leivo, Sparks, Gunnarson, and Frattin were players taken in those 5 previous drafts your refering to. Frattin is stretching it but he was good for us for like half a year.

I guess you could throw Carrick in there too as a potential 4th line guy but he has cleared waivers so probably not.

1 guy per draft, I mean it's not awful for the 3rd round onward. Lots of teams get nothing in lots of drafts. Probably average to slightly below average.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: