Did the Leafs strike GOLD with Dermott or Timashov?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
That whole last draft is really promising IMO. I'm really excited about these two along with Nielson

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think Dermott will be a more important part of our team than Konecny would have. Or Konecny will be for Philly. And that's saying a lot because Konecny is going to be very good.

Would be nice to have both. As for Bracco we'll see but taking Nielsen right after more than makes up for it.

Last edited:

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I think Dermott will be a more important part of our team than Konecky would have. Or Konecky will be for Philly. And that's saying a lot because Konecky is going to be very good.

Would be nice to have both. As for Bracco we'll see but taking Nielsen right after more than makes up for it.

Hate to be that guy...but...Konecny :(

As for your post though, I agree. Also, why are people complaining about Bracco? Did I miss something? He's performing very solidly so far in the OHL.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
timashov is like wellwood, except minus the fat and lazy part.

And to be honest Wellwood would have been a pretty good player if he worked on his skating, was more committed to keeping and staying in shape and most of all not being a lazy ****.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ideally, he's Wellwood without the mental baggage, and a huge work ethic.

DMYTRO TIMASHOV

HEIGHT : 5'10" - WEIGHT : 187 lbs
NHL DRAFT: 2015 round 5 #125 overall by Toronto Maple Leafs

KYLE WELLWOOD

HEIGHT : 5'10" - WEIGHT : 185 lbs
NHL DRAFT: 2001 round 5 #134 overall by Toronto Maple Leafs

Starting points are the same, now lets see where the finishing points end up.

Welly played nearly 500 NHL games at .48PPG pace for 235 NHL points. If you get 500 games from a 5th round draft pick that is successful drafting in that respect.

Both Welly and Tima fell in their drafts to the 5th round because they are not big nor fast for that size of package but both had great offensive instincts.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
DMYTRO TIMASHOV

HEIGHT : 5'10" - WEIGHT : 187 lbs
NHL DRAFT: 2015 round 5 #125 overall by Toronto Maple Leafs

KYLE WELLWOOD

HEIGHT : 5'10" - WEIGHT : 185 lbs
NHL DRAFT: 2001 round 5 #134 overall by Toronto Maple Leafs

Starting points are the same, now lets see where the finishing points end up.

Welly played nearly 500 NHL games at .48PPG pace for 235 NHL points. If you get 500 games from a 5th round draft pick that is successful drafting in that respect.

Both Welly and Tima fell in their drafts to the 5th round because they are not big nor fast for that size of package but both had great offensive instincts.

No way Welly's weight was correct. He played in the NHL at 525 lbs. That has to be a typo in his stats.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Coming out of the past draft with Marner, Dermott, Bracco, Dzierkals, Nielsen and Timashov still feels like a massive win, and may turn out that way (though time will tell). The trick will ultimately be consistently finding players in the draft though, not just having a good year.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Coming out of the past draft with Marner, Dermott, Bracco, Dzierkals, Nielsen and Timashov still feels like a massive win, and may turn out that way (though time will tell). The trick will ultimately be consistently finding players in the draft though, not just having a good year.

Marner, Dermott, Nielsen and Timashov all look like future NHL players right now. Getting four NHLers out of any draft is an accomplishment and a great start to the rebuild.

The top 10 in 2016 looks potentially even better than 2015. Hopefully Hunter can unearth a few gems in the later rounds.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Marner, Dermott, Nielsen and Timashov all look like future NHL players right now. Getting four NHLers out of any draft is an accomplishment and a great start to the rebuild.

The top 10 in 2016 looks potentially even better than 2015. Hopefully Hunter can unearth a few gems in the later rounds.

Hard to say really that 15 draft was pretty good imo. That being said Marner, Dermott, Nielsen, and Timashov really is a good draft.

Bracco is a really promising prospect also that will start earning some praise. It's nice having some talent in the cupboards the farm is coming along nicely with some good young talent down there. I honestly do think that after this season we are probably going to start going for it, in terms of building a roster to compete for Babs. Giving him some talent to work with would be scary.

Last edited:

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Biggs, Blacker and Schenn couldn't skate. Seemed to be a distinct indicator prior Leaf management looked for, inability to move. Was tough to remain a Leaf fan let me tell you.

I watched Blacker play a lot live and couldn't believe Leaf fans thought he was mobile. And Schenn? I was on his case the first game I saw him play. I was booted off Leaf boards because I declared constantly I saw nothing NHL about him, particularly his skating.

I predicted he would be in the AHL at some point, nowhere else. I think that prediction is close to coming to fruition, unless the NHL expands to 60 teams soon.

To be fair with Schenn, we he first joined the team, he was not a bad skater. Not great, but not bad either. The problems started when he bulked up a lot during one offseason. I think he put on something like 20 lbs. or so. That's when his skating became a big issue because he was slower. He kept on losing position by lack of agility and acceleration. He'd then further exacerbate that problem by often taking chances because he couldn't keep up with the opposition's speed.

Right now Philly has him listed at 229 lbs. He should be nowhere over 215 lbs. imo. Him bulking up that much effed his development for sure.

But we got JVR, so I ain't complaining.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
nah, schenn could never skate. saw that disaster pick coming a year in advance.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't wanna talk about getting any steals yet in the draft. I loved the draft and think we have promising players but don't wanna get too crazy yet.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I think the leafs have an NHLer in Dermott and the flyers have one in Konecny. The leafs essentially gave themselves an extra 2 mystery boxes and maximized their 24th rd pick.

Flyers obviously liked what they saw in Konecny (as do I) however Toronto is pretty set in terms of offensive prospects. Very thin on the back end.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It was suggested that the Leafs, "struck gold" with Travis Dermott.
When drafting a player at # 34, you expect them to become NHLers.
In September I went to Leaf/Hab game at the Bell Centre. Was very impressed Andrew Neilson of Leafs/Lethbridge. Big guy, seems to powerful and good skater. Of course needs more time and better physical attributes to be a true NHLer but he does seem to be a keeper also.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

And Jasper Lindgren has been playing some in the SHL, still as a junior. So maybe there's another one.

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
It was suggested that the Leafs, "struck gold" with Travis Dermott.
When drafting a player at # 34, you expect them to become NHLers.
In September I went to Leaf/Hab game at the Bell Centre. Was very impressed Andrew Neilson of Leafs/Lethbridge. Big guy, seems to powerful and good skater. Of course needs more time and better physical attributes to be a true NHLer but he does seem to be a keeper also.

I don't think that the statement in bold is true. Players drafted at 31-34 have less than 33% chance of playing greater than 100 NHL games.

http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-expected-value-of-nhl-draft-picks-1.317819

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Of the recent draft I expect Timashov, Dermott and Nielsen to be huge pieces for us going forward. Dzierakas (spelt that wrong), Lindgren and Bracco for me are all wild cards. Personally feel Lindgren has the highest ceiling of those final 3, but also the biggest bust potential too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
nah, schenn could never skate. saw that disaster pick coming a year in advance.

Yep - some picks are quite obviously questionable even at the time - I'd throw Biggs and Ross into that category easily too.

All of the Leafs most recent picks seem to be out performing pre draft expectations- which is a great sign of things to come.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I never liked the Schenn pick, but it's not like the guys drafted right after him(the guys we likely would've picked if not Schenn) turned out great.

Filatov became Filatov.
Colin Wilson is a third line forward.
Bodker has turned out okay, though I somehow doubt the Leafs would've shown such patience with him.
Josh Bailey hasn't done much in 8 NHL seasons.
Cody Hodgson, who I remember a lot of people here wanting us to draft, has done even less.
Kyle Beach never played in the NHL.
Tyler Myers would've been nice, but we probably would've gave up on him faster than Buffalo did.
And yes, we could've had Erik Karlsson, but obviously nobody knew he's be as good as he is.

As for Dermott, I think he looks promising, but I also thought Stuart Percy would be a regular on the Leafs by now. When you get those type of players who don't have any one skill that is exceptional, but are really good at pretty much everything, it means that they pretty much need to improve every skill to make it in the NHL. When you get a player like Rielly, he had NHL calibre skating, and high end offensive skills when he was still in junior. With Dermott, he's showing a lot of potential, but he still needs to improve basically everything to make it at the next level. There's no reason to think he won't improve, but I think his development is going to take a while.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't personally think Dermott or Bracco will turn into the type of impact players that the Flyers will get in Konecny.

Sure, rebuilding is about adding as many young pieces to your organization as possible, but quality matters as well.

I didn't like the move back at the draft.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wellwood was a good kid. Loved to read. He was probably the smartest guy on the team. I'd love for Timashov to pan out like Kyle.

I miss Wellwood. We would be lucky if Timashov turns into Wellwood, and even luckier if he is able to sustain a career of at least 6+ seasons.

Had he spent that time working out and on his game he would still be in the NHL.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Of the recent draft I expect Timashov, Dermott and Nielsen to be huge pieces for us going forward. Dzierakas (spelt that wrong), Lindgren and Bracco for me are all wild cards. Personally feel Lindgren has the highest ceiling of those final 3, but also the biggest bust potential too.

i'd say bracco has the highest upside; if we were looking at potential ceiling, he's only behind nylander and marner. he has the vision and quickness of a first line winger. on the otherhand, he could be a munchies eating wellwood. his biggest enemies are consistency and conditioning. like dzierkals, he's further away from being nhl ready than nylander, timashov or even marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad