Did the Leafs strike GOLD with Dermott or Timashov?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Well, Schenn is at over 500 NHL games and counting, but other than that, sure your prediction was spot on :sarcasm:

But it's true, Leafs, especially under Burke, blew their drafts by going for size and grit, and focusing almost exclusively on North Americans.

That's the way I remember it... Team USA

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I almost think Schenn is a waterboy for his brother at this point. Guy just had nothing but a gallon of hype going for him. Fooled some of the best, but never fooled me.

Have to say it amazed me how dear he was to Leaf fans. Imagine getting all pumped up over a guy who was a seventh dman, and who couldn't fight either. It was tough to be a Leaf fan during that time let me tell ya.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I could see Dermott becoming like Jake Gardiner. Really good puck mover and shot suppressor, decent offensive production, great possession, number 2 D.

That's his ceiling, IMO.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In terms of sleeper picks Carolina chose Finish centre Sebastian Aho with the #35th pick right after the Leafs chose Travis Dermott #34.

He is player that 2nd in tournament scoring and centering the 2 X 17 year old Finish phenoms. If Leafs had drafted Aho instead of Dermott would it also believed they struck gold?

Or another perspective

Leafs traded down from #24 to #34 to draft Dermott to pick up a pair of 3rd picks (Jeremy Bracco & Martins Dzierkals) but passed on Travis Konecny to do so who was named Canada's player of the game and having an excellent season in the OHL who is still #12 in league scoring.

Would drafting Konecny be considered striking gold?

So big picture verses Leafs picture introspective analysis of Leafs prospects to the worlds best prospects factored into the equation.

Moral of the story here is its far too early to be declaring striking gold. IMO

All prospects are suspects at this point and if you prefer fools gold instead of pure gold until they make their impact on the NHL not junior hockey. ;)

That said at this point some Leafs prospects drafted do look good against themselves in comparison based on their own play and performance since drafted. That is encouraging for Leaf Nation as the promise of something to come down the road to help the Leafs is still alive and well.

I absolutely love Sebastian Aho, and I don't think the fact that he was a great pick is mutually exclusive to Dermott being a great pick. Dermott looks like one of those ice water in his veins type defensemen, and I'm very interested in seeing how he develops. Timashov looked assertive, creative, skilled similar to Aho, and was more impressive than Marner in the Sweden Canada game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I almost think Schenn is a waterboy for his brother at this point. Guy just had nothing but a gallon of hype going for him. Fooled some of the best, but never fooled me.

Have to say it amazed me how dear he was to Leaf fans. Imagine getting all pumped up over a guy who was a seventh dman, and who couldn't fight either. It was tough to be a Leaf fan during that time let me tell ya.

I hated the Schenn pick the moment it was made and hated all the love the fanbase gave him. People were fawning over him making rudimentary outlet passes, it's insane.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Timashov reminds me of former Leaf Kyle Wellwood

Christ, let's hope not.

wellwood_medium.jpg

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Are you complaining about Tima being stocky?

Im not complaining. I like him alot as a prospect and im glad we picked him. Especially where we picked him. This stems from me saying I wish he was bigger. I should have said taller. 192 is not ideal for a guy his height when it comes to mobility and general fitness. Hence the wellwood comparisons we've heard. He is only 19 and has some of the 'unteachables', im sure fitness is on the agenda now that hes a leaf prospect.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Im not complaining. I like him alot as a prospect and im glad we picked him. Especially where we picked him. This stems from me saying I wish he was bigger. I should have said taller. 192 is not ideal for a guy his height when it comes to mobility and general fitness. Hence the wellwood comparisons we've heard. He is only 19 and has some of the 'unteachables', im sure fitness is on the agenda now that hes a leaf prospect.

Marcel Dionne

Forward
Born Aug 3 1951 -- Drummondville, PQ
[64 yrs. ago]
Height 5.08 -- Weight 185 [173 cm/84 kg]

games 1348
goals 731
assists 1040
points 1771

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Time will only tell. I was elated when Konecny fell to us at the draft and was hugely disappointed we traded down. Will the combo of picks we got end up being better? Hope so.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Jeremy Bracco. 61st. 2nd round pick. .39 goals/g .91 assists/g +16 5'10" 173lbs.
Travis Konecny. 24th. 1st round pick. .24 goals/g 1.31 assists/g +7 5'10" 176lbs.

I'm not buying Bracco's size? Maybe? Still, the difference between these two picks so far hasn't been great. Don't see much improvement in Konecny's stats from the last two years before the draft. Wonder if the old statistical-analysis warned the Leafs to avoid such a player?

Time will tell.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Jeremy Bracco. 61st. 2nd round pick. .39 goals/g .91 assists/g +16 5'10" 173lbs.
Travis Konecny. 24th. 1st round pick. .24 goals/g 1.31 assists/g +7 5'10" 176lbs.

I'm not buying Bracco's size? Maybe? Still, the difference between these two picks so far hasn't been great. Don't see much improvement in Konecny's stats from the last two years before the draft. Wonder if the old statistical-analysis warned the Leafs to avoid such a player?

Time will tell.

It is interesting that Konecny is perceived by many to be superior to Bracco even though the numbers don't suggest such a suggestion.

I wonder how much of this is just personal bias - ie if you liked Konecny pre draft you just assume everything he does is wonderful.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Time will only tell. I was elated when Konecny fell to us at the draft and was hugely disappointed we traded down. Will the combo of picks we got end up being better? Hope so.

Same here.

To walk away from that draft with both Marner and Konecny would have been a huge coup.

I was really upset when they traded away that pick, and feel like it will ultimately come back to haunt them - I feel like Konecny will be a huge impact player in the NHL

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
Ideally, he's Wellwood without the mental baggage, and a huge work ethic.

Wellwood was a good kid. Loved to read. He was probably the smartest guy on the team. I'd love for Timashov to pan out like Kyle.

I miss Wellwood. We would be lucky if Timashov turns into Wellwood, and even luckier if he is able to sustain a career of at least 6+ seasons.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Wellwood was a good kid. Loved to read. He was probably the smartest guy on the team. I'd love for Timashov to pan out like Kyle.

I miss Wellwood. We would be lucky if Timashov turns into Wellwood, and even luckier if he is able to sustain a career of at least 6+ seasons.

If only he used some of his smarts to realize his work ethic sucked.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Marcel Dionne

Forward
Born Aug 3 1951 -- Drummondville, PQ
[64 yrs. ago]
Height 5.08 -- Weight 185 [173 cm/84 kg]

games 1348
goals 731
assists 1040
points 1771
Point taken. Dionne was a beauty. But with all due respect, he played in an era where goalies hid hot dogs in their pads and guys smoked cigars between periods.
I've enjoyed watching Tima through this wjc, and expect him to be an nhler one day. Just hope he's not wellwood 2.0.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

Time will tell.

Ive always like Konecny and think that his statistics translate better to the the NHL than the average prospect -- my reasoning is that he is a fantastic skater, with good hockey instincts.

Konecny's flaw at the junior level is that he isnt a "do it all himself" prospect who can put up 2 PPG on his own. Also, his hands are ok, but not elite like a Marner/Barzal/Strome. But his speed and instincts will do well at the NHL level.

His size is obviously a limitation (he wont be able to throw hits on a regular basis like he did at the World Juniors), but it wont stop him from being effective because of how good a skater he is.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ive always like Konecny and think that his statistics translate better to the the NHL than the average prospect -- my reasoning is that he is a fantastic skater, with good hockey instincts.

Konecny's flaw at the junior level is that he isnt a "do it all himself" prospect who can put up 2 PPG on his own. Also, his hands are ok, but not elite like a Marner/Barzal/Strome. But his speed and instincts will do well at the NHL level.

His size is obviously a limitation (he wont be able to throw hits on a regular basis like he did at the World Juniors), but it wont stop him from being effective because of how good a skater he is.

A lot of big time scorers in junior like Konecny who don't possess elite level offensive skills will be slotted into more defensive, energy or checking roles though. Little guys who were big scorers like Mike Peca and Darcy Tucker are good examples.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Hope I am wrong but the Bracco pick should hold off any Mark Hunter celebrations.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Um...first season. To groom a prospect takes a while unless they are special, yea they lok good but for now let's be happy they are doing well and move on until they produce well in the big leagues.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
leafs need dermott more the konecny. konecny looked good at the wjc but imo he will be a 3rd liner at the nhl level. dermott could be a #3 defenseman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad