Did the Leafs strike GOLD with Dermott or Timashov?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I've been watching these two very closely this tournament and have been absolutely thrilled by the game they are bringing.

Right now as of today I am thinking we struck gold on both.

Despite a lacklustre performance by Team Canada, Dermott has been a rock back there playing a very composed mature structured game that I would expect from top talent or someone beyond his years.

Timashov has integrated well into the Swedish lineup and has done nothing but proven he is anything but a late round pick. It's blatantly obvious this guy went below the radar of many scouts.

Job well done Leaf management, you couldn't realistically hope for a better outcome at this juncture.

As a side note Kapanen has played well too and Marner can't be discounted after trying to rally the troops vs Swe in the 3rd. Enough about them this ones for the Sleepers.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
I've been watching these two very closely this tournament and have been absolutely thrilled by the game they are bringing.

Despite a lacklustre performance by Team Canada, Dermott has been a rock back there playing a very composed mature structured game that I would expect from top talent or someone beyond his years.

Timashov has integrated well into the Swedish lineup and has done nothing but proven he is anything but a late round pick. It's blatantly obvious this guy went below the radar of many scouts.

Job well done Leaf management, you couldn't realistically hope for a better outcome at this juncture.

As a side note Kapanen has played well too and Marner can't be discounted after trying to rally the troops vs Swe in the 3rd. Enough about them this ones for the Sleepers.
Dermott has impressed me so far, timashov looks like a very smart, crafty player. Can't deny his skill level especially for a late round pick. Wish he was bigger though.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

It's about half a decade too early to tell. Good against prospects =/= good against NHL players.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Dermott has impressed me so far, timashov looks like a very smart, crafty player. Can't deny his skill level especially for a late round pick. Wish he was bigger though.

He's not tall but he's a brick. 5'10 192 at 19. Are you ****ing kidding me?!?!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

In terms of sleeper picks Carolina chose Finish centre Sebastian Aho with the #35th pick right after the Leafs chose Travis Dermott #34.

He is player that 2nd in tournament scoring and centering the 2 X 17 year old Finish phenoms. If Leafs had drafted Aho instead of Dermott would it also believed they struck gold?

Or another perspective

Leafs traded down from #24 to #34 to draft Dermott to pick up a pair of 3rd picks (Jeremy Bracco & Martins Dzierkals) but passed on Travis Konecny to do so who was named Canada's player of the game and having an excellent season in the OHL who is still #12 in league scoring.

Would drafting Konecny be considered striking gold?

So big picture verses Leafs picture introspective analysis of Leafs prospects to the worlds best prospects factored into the equation.

Moral of the story here is its far too early to be declaring striking gold. IMO

All prospects are suspects at this point and if you prefer fools gold instead of pure gold until they make their impact on the NHL not junior hockey. ;)

That said at this point some Leafs prospects drafted do look good against themselves in comparison based on their own play and performance since drafted. That is encouraging for Leaf Nation as the promise of something to come down the road to help the Leafs is still alive and well.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
In terms of sleeper picks Carolina chose Finish centre Sebastian Aho with the #35th pick right after the Leafs chose Travis Dermott #34.

He is player that 2nd in tournament scoring and centering the 2 X 17 year old Finish phenoms. If Leafs had drafted Aho instead of Dermott would it also believed they struck gold?

Or another perspective

Leafs traded down from #24 to #34 to draft Dermott to pick up a pair of 3rd picks (Jeremy Bracco & Martins Dzierkals) but passed on Travis Konecny to do so who was named Canada's player of the game and having an excellent season in the OHL who is still #12 in league scoring.

Would drafting Konecny be considered striking gold?

So big picture verses Leafs picture introspective analysis of Leafs prospects to the worlds best prospects factored into the equation.

Moral of the story here is its far too early to be declaring striking gold. IMO

All prospects are suspects at this point and if you prefer fools gold instead of pure gold until they make their impact on the NHL not junior hockey. ;)

That said at this point some Leafs prospects drafted do look good against themselves in comparison based on their own play and performance since drafted. That is encouraging for Leaf Nation as the promise of something to come down the road to help the Leafs is still alive and well.

Dermott, Nielsen, Timashov and Marner were all signed by the Leafs.

That tells you Leafs already have a higher opinion of them.

You are right, not one of them have made an impact in the NHL. So are they gold? Not yet but I think it might be an indication that we're looking at some favorable geographic surveys. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I don't think Dermott will be considered "striking gold" simply because his game is not flashy enough to warrant ever being more than a #2/3/4 in his prime. He is not elite in any category, but good at most things. Always makes the safe play and is a smart player.

Timashov on the other hand could be a steal. I could see him, if he pans out, scoring 20 goals and 50 points multiple times in his career.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dermott, Nielsen, Timashov and Marner were all signed by the Leafs.

That tells you Leafs already have a higher opinion of them.

You are right, not one of them have made an impact in the NHL. So are they gold? Not yet but I think it might be an indication that we're looking at some favorable geographic surveys. :)

Nicely put.

We have mined for some prospects and the findings have been sent out looking promising that we might have found some gems while digging through the entry draft.

Unfortunately it takes 3-5 years often to get your results back from those geographic experts and the proof is when prospects make the NHL and contribute as regulars. The better they perform at the level is when "struck gold" is confirmed or denied.

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
As much as I love Travis' game, passing on Konecny is looking like a mistake. I love the way that kid plays. We shall see though, Dermott is a very good defenseman.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Timashov reminds me of former Leaf Kyle Wellwood.

Like Welly as history repeats itself potentially Tima is not the biggest guy 5-10 and not the fastest guy either and like Wellwood fell in his draft to the 5th round despite being great junior scorers.

Lets :crossfing that Hunter has unearthed another later round gem in the later rounds if Nytro beats the odds and successfully makes the NHL.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Timashov reminds me of former Leaf Kyle Wellwood.

Like Welly as history repeats itself potentially Tima is not the biggest guy 5-10 and not the fastest guy either and like Wellwood fell in his draft to the 5th round despite being great junior scorers.

Lets :crossfing that Hunter has unearthed another later round gem in the later rounds if Nytro beats the odds and successfully makes the NHL.

Ideally, he's Wellwood without the mental baggage, and a huge work ethic.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
You should be optimistic about most of your favourite NHL team's draft picks following the draft. These guys including the later picks are supposed to be the cream of the crop from their respective hockey programs.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don't think Dermott will be considered "striking gold" simply because his game is not flashy enough to warrant ever being more than a #2/3/4 in his prime. He is not elite in any category, but good at most things. Always makes the safe play and is a smart player.

Timashov on the other hand could be a steal. I could see him, if he pans out, scoring 20 goals and 50 points multiple times in his career.

Not saying he's remotely close to this level but how flashy are either of Duncan Keith or Brent Seabrook?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You should be optimistic about most of your favourite NHL team's draft picks following the draft. These guys including the later picks are supposed to be the cream of the crop from their respective hockey programs.

I want them all to turn into superstars!

I expect none to turn into superstars!

We know most won't amount to anything.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Dermott's ~ppg season as a dman is so far actually more impressive than Konecny's ~1.5ppg season as a forward.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
timashov is like wellwood, except minus the fat and lazy part.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dermott's ~ppg season as a dman is so far actually more impressive than Konecny's ~1.5ppg season as a forward.

I agree.

A ppg D is a score IMHO in any league really. Dermott is projecting right now at top 4 and Timashov a top 6. They just have to keep this trajectory up and we'll be laughing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I agree.

A ppg D is a score IMHO in any league really. Dermott is projecting right now at top 4 and Timashov a top 6. They just have to keep this trajectory up and we'll be laughing.

Yes, looking good in the OHL right now.

Sorted by PPG, rank by points.

Rank|Rookie|Name|Games|Goals|Assists|Points|PPG
4||Roland McKeown|30|6|22|28|0.93
5||Travis Dermott|29|2|25|27|0.93
1|*|Cam Dineen|34|5|26|31|0.91
3||Rasmus Andersson|32|7|21|28|0.88
7||Vince Dunn|29|8|17|25|0.86
2||Miles Liberati|33|10|18|28|0.85
12|*|Olli Juolevi|28|4|19|23|0.82
9||Jakob Chychrun|32|5|19|24|0.75
6|*|Mikhail Sergachev|36|10|15|25|0.69
8||Santino Centorame|36|9|15|24|0.67
10||Jalen Chatfield|36|7|16|23|0.64
13||Victor Mete|35|3|19|22|0.63
18||Jeff King|32|4|16|20|0.63
15||Mathieu Henderson|34|5|16|21|0.62
17||Benjamin Gleason|33|7|13|20|0.61
19||Darren Raddysh|33|3|17|20|0.61
16||Garrett McFadden|35|5|16|21|0.60
11||Stephen Desrocher|39|6|17|23|0.59
20||Marcus Crawford|35|1|19|20|0.57
14||Patrick Murphy|38|7|14|21|0.55

Not to derail this, but for Leafs there is another pick doing the same thing in the west:

Rank|Rookie|Name|Games|Goals|Assists|Points|PPG
7||Travis Sanheim|24|8|23|31|1.29
1||Andrew Nielsen|38|9|31|40|1.05
9||Joe Hicketts|29|2|28|30|1.03
3||Ethan Bear|36|11|26|37|1.03
2||Jake Bean|38|15|22|37|0.97
13||Ivan Provorov|30|7|21|28|0.93
4||Macoy Erkamps|38|7|28|35|0.92
5||Jason Fram|37|8|25|33|0.89
15||Tate Olson|31|3|24|27|0.87
8||Parker Wotherspoon|36|7|24|31|0.86
11||Marc McNulty|34|6|23|29|0.85
6||Jesse Lees|38|13|18|31|0.82
10|*|Caleb Jones|36|7|22|29|0.81
18|*|Jack Dougherty|33|8|18|26|0.79
12||Brycen Martin|37|4|25|29|0.78
14|*|Juuso V?lim?ki|37|6|21|27|0.73
16||Kord Pankewicz|37|3|24|27|0.73
17||Colton Bobyk|38|10|16|26|0.68
19||Dysin Mayo|39|2|24|26|0.67
20||Ty Stanton|37|2|22|24|0.65

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Struck bronze, you strike gold when they are impact NHL players

This.

Let's wait and see what happens when they are closer to the NHL, no?

I remember people were saying that about both Percy & Finn.

Not saying they won't pan out, but there's no reason to start pencilling them into projected lineups in a few years time for no reason.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
This.

Let's wait and see what happens when they are closer to the NHL, no?

I remember people were saying that about both Percy & Finn.

Not saying they won't pan out, but there's no reason to start pencilling them into projected lineups in a few years time for no reason.

Not to mention Biggs, Blacker, Schenn...:) Temper expectations and hope that maybe 10 percent of our draft picks play some time in the NHL.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Biggs, Blacker and Schenn couldn't skate. Seemed to be a distinct indicator prior Leaf management looked for, inability to move. Was tough to remain a Leaf fan let me tell you.

I watched Blacker play a lot live and couldn't believe Leaf fans thought he was mobile. And Schenn? I was on his case the first game I saw him play. I was booted off Leaf boards because I declared constantly I saw nothing NHL about him, particularly his skating.

I predicted he would be in the AHL at some point, nowhere else. I think that prediction is close to coming to fruition, unless the NHL expands to 60 teams soon.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
And Schenn? I was on his case the first game I saw him play. I was booted off Leaf boards because I declared constantly I saw nothing NHL about him, particularly his skating.

I predicted he would be in the AHL at some point, nowhere else. I think that prediction is close to coming to fruition, unless the NHL expands to 60 teams soon.

Well, Schenn is at over 500 NHL games and counting, but other than that, sure your prediction was spot on :sarcasm:

But it's true, Leafs, especially under Burke, blew their drafts by going for size and grit, and focusing almost exclusively on North Americans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad