Did the Leafs strike GOLD with Dermott or Timashov?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yep - some picks are quite obviously questionable even at the time - I'd throw Biggs and Ross into that category easily too.

All of the Leafs most recent picks seem to be out performing pre draft expectations- which is a great sign of things to come.

yah biggs and ross were definitely wtf picks from the get go.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Had he spent that time working out and on his game he would still be in the NHL.

Wellwood had all the skill in the World, but didn't want to apply himself off the ice in conditioning and fitness. Had Wellwood had a Gary Roberts like off ice mentality he could have been a very good NHLer.

I used the Welly to Tima comparable because as of right now the starting points seem about the same. Smaller, highly skilled and productive CHLers, not exceptionally fast and taken in the later rounds of the draft. Both were former 5th round Leaf selections.

I believed in Welly beating the odds and making the NHL when he was just a prospect still and Timashov has a similar feel of a guy that scouts recognize have skills but have shortcomings. The success rate of 5th round picks league wide is not high but Timashov feels like a potential success story in the making here to me.

Personally I think Timashov drafted in the 5th is a better prospect than Bracco taken in the 2nd or Dzierkals taken in the 3rd. I'm putting my money on the long-shot on the Leafs draft board here to find his way the NHL and exceed draft expectations.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I can't remember a single previous Leafs draft where we walked away with this many exciting prospects. We're talking about 3-4 players in a single draft less than one year later. It's a better start than I can remember in a long time, but there's still a mighty long road ahead. No NHLers to show for just yet, but Mark Hunter is off to a great start IMO.

champs*

its nuts how people on this board are obsessed with the biggs kid :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I can't remember a single previous Leafs draft where we walked away with this many exciting prospects. We're talking about 3-4 players in a single draft less than one year later. It's a better start than I can remember in a long time, but there's still a mighty long road ahead. No NHLers to show for just yet, but Mark Hunter is off to a great start IMO.

Wasn't that long ago around this time of year, Leaf fans were going squirrely over the plethora of talent on the WJC. Many were adamant, Brendan Bell, Jay Harrison, Ian White, Kyle Wellwood and Alex Steen were going to become excellent impact NHLers.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
yah biggs and ross were definitely wtf picks from the get go.

Biggs was definitely a little WTF.

Ross wasn't so much because of the pick, but more because we traded Hayes for the pick. For some reason.

(IIRC)

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Biggs was definitely a little WTF.

Ross wasn't so much because of the pick, but more because we traded Hayes for the pick. For some reason.

(IIRC)

Biggs was rated higher than he was drafted. I loved the pick at the time, it pumped me up.

Now that we all realize he is terrible, there is going to be revisionist history. But the board saw it coming after they traded up it was because Biggs was dropping and Detroit was gonna take him 1 or 2 picks after.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Biggs was rated higher than he was drafted. I loved the pick at the time, it pumped me up.

Now that we all realize he is terrible, there is going to be revisionist history. But the board saw it coming after they traded up it was because Biggs was dropping and Detroit was gonna take him 1 or 2 picks after.

I was okay with Biggs, I wasn't okay using 2 picks to get him. He was as high as 5th., and then as his game was further exposed he dropped and dropped.

Burke outsmarted himself yet again.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Oh, was he?

I remember disliking the pick and definitely disliking the trade up, but I was pretty high on...I wanna say Zack Philips?

I also remember Percy being a foregone conclusion to be picked by the Leafs, at least by the TSN panel.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Oh, was he?

I remember disliking the pick and definitely disliking the trade up, but I was pretty high on...I wanna say Zack Philips?

I also remember Percy being a foregone conclusion to be picked by the Leafs, at least by the TSN panel.

I seem to remember a lot of folk on here liking the pick
At the time i really like sounds of namestikov and pumpell
Percy seemed like a reach at the time also
throwing another 2nd away to get these 2 lools a big mistake now but maybe not as much at the time

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

That's hilarious. There's no way Ken Holland takes Biggs.

That was Burke's narrative at the time but the wings weren't dumb enough to draft a plug like Biggs.

It was the same with the Kenny Ryan pick. Only Burke placed so much value on these plugs.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
That's hilarious. There's no way Ken Holland takes Biggs.

That was Burke's narrative at the time but the wings weren't dumb enough to draft a plug like Biggs.

It was the same with the Kenny Ryan pick. Only Burke placed so much value on these plugs.

Biggs had a lot of attention in top 15 conversation. I can't confirm nor deny that the Red Wings had interest, however, he would of been taken in the first round IMO. In hindsight, it is a lot easier to evaluate a missed pick.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Wasn't that long ago around this time of year, Leaf fans were going squirrely over the plethora of talent on the WJC. Many were adamant, Brendan Bell, Jay Harrison, Ian White, Kyle Wellwood and Alex Steen were going to become excellent impact NHLers.

And one of those players became a stud. I'll take that. Maybe not a stud, but a very solid hockey player. And I would argue that almost 15 years ago is a very long time ago.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I seem to remember a lot of folk on here liking the pick
At the time i really like sounds of namestikov and pumpell
Percy seemed like a reach at the time also
throwing another 2nd away to get these 2 lools a big mistake now but maybe not as much at the time

At the time I thought Percy was the much better pick than Biggs.

though still not the high upside type i want to use a 1st rounder on.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And one of those players became a stud. I'll take that. Maybe not a stud, but a very solid hockey player. And I would argue that almost 15 years ago is a very long time ago.

yeah, that group actually turned out well....even though a couple were sabotaged by injury (cola and pilar) and another couple mighy have really benefitted from a better development system to help them with off ice issues (wellwood and white).

Steen 721gms, 466pts, 18:13
Boyes 792gms, 492pts, 16:31
Stajan 812gms, 369pts, 15:17
Wellwood 489gms, 235pts, 13:53

White 503gms, 179pts, 20:52
Cola 453gms, 156pts, 17:34
Harrison 372gms, 75pts, 17:11

not awesome, but pretty solid results out of that group. no surprise that the best success came from guys who were able to develop in other orgs with better development systems.

of course, none of those guys were Nylander/marner level prospects.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

So one out of 5 is a stud, meaning not all prospects become stars?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Sweden’s Dmytro Timashov wows Leafs’ Mark Hunter at world juniors

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...mark-hunter-at-world-juniors/article28024179/

Mark Hunter knew the Toronto Maple Leafs had a sleeper pick in Dmytro Timashov. Now the world knows it.

Timashov, who had two goals and five assists for Sweden’s fourth-place team at the world junior hockey championship, was one of five Maple Leafs prospects who played at the tournament in Finland. He had been picked by Hunter – Toronto’s director of player personnel – as a breakout player ahead of the event.

“I think people have noticed how good he is,” Hunter said Tuesday on a conference call. “I don’t think he was getting recognition. Now I think people see he’s a good prospect for the Leafs. The sky is the limit. He’s got more room to grow as a player. He sure showed his ability and talent in this tournament.”

Timashov was selected by Toronto in the fifth round (125th overall) of last year’s draft. He has 53 points (18-35) in 29 games for the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League this season.

“He’s a superb passer,” Hunter said. “He made some elite passes in that tournament where you go, ‘Wow, that is pretty special.’ And I think he did that consistently, where sometimes [with] young players, consistency is a problem. Consistently, he was one of the better players for Sweden in this tournament.”

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA