Speculation: Did RNH just become (more) available?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
wait wait, who are the Oilers 2nd line centreman now then if they let him go?

Drai and McDavid makes a good line, so I think Drai gets converted to McDavids full time linemate.

RNH is a good 2nd line centreman if you ask me. trading him just for a cap dump is not the best idea.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Anaheim needs to get some youth down the middle to fill in when Kes and Getty lose a couple of steps.

RNH for Theo + small dump?

The lost shea Theodore in the expansion. Well, they traded him to vegas so they wouldn't take vatanen, lindholm etc.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
McLellan called our RNH after the playoffs on how he needs to change his game, get to and perform better in the tougher areas of the ice. If we don't see real improvement within the system, there's no way he's an Oiler next July,

I'd think it possible that a trade gets done this year, but it's unlikely since defensive centers are harder to acquire before camp.

IMO, Strome is already his replacement as a top 6 forward. McLellan values Nuge's defense (best seen in last summer's World Cup) over his flawed offense, so I see him as the third line center with Jokinen and Kassian or Puljujarvi.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Drai and McDavid makes a good line, so I think Drai gets converted to McDavids full time linemate.

RNH is a good 2nd line centreman if you ask me. trading him just for a cap dump is not the best idea.

Oilers are fine with Cap space this year but next year they need to create room it appears. So if RNH stays. Lucic gets traded? Who takes on that contract?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Doesn't make sense to trade him now. The Oilers would be much better off showcasing him, putting him in a position to get 60+ points, then trading him.

That being said, it's Chiarelli.

Stajan straight up.

the guy who traded a mid 1st, early 2nd, and hall to end up with larsson

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
McLellan called our RNH after the playoffs on how he needs to change his game, get to and perform better in the tougher areas of the ice. If we don't see real improvement within the system, there's no way he's an Oiler next July,

I'd think it possible that a trade gets done this year, but it's unlikely since defensive centers are harder to acquire before camp.

IMO, Strome is already his replacement as a top 6 forward. McLellan values Nuge's defense (best seen in last summer's World Cup) over his flawed offense, so I see him as the third line center with Jokinen and Kassian or Puljujarvi.

thats fine this year, but when you have a duo making 21 mil next year, another 6 mil on a 3rd liner is crazy.

the hawks won't even have anyone in their bottom 6 making 1mil

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
thats fine this year, but when you have a duo making 21 mil next year, another 6 mil on a 3rd liner is crazy.

the hawks won't even have anyone in their bottom 6 making 1mil

Agreed. That extra RNH cap should be used on a Dman. Just trade RNH for picks, and save on the Cap.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

I dont think they paid drai to be a winger with mcdavid. Plus mcdavid is good enough to make the players around him better why pay a guy 8.5 mil to play with someone like mcdavid who is gonna be that good with or without you. Drai is gonna be a 2nd line center thats for sure. He will probably play on the powerplay with mcdavid but his main position is gonna be 2c

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I dont think they paid drai to be a winger with mcdavid. Plus mcdavid is good enough to make the players around him better why pay a guy 8.5 mil to play with someone like mcdavid who is gonna be that good with or without you. Drai is gonna be a 2nd line center thats for sure. He will probably play on the powerplay with mcdavid but his main position is gonna be 2c
It's does not have to be one or the other. Having multiple centers gives them flexibility and injury protection.

McLellan's comment on the signing addressed this. He said that the contract will generate noise about Draisaitl playing center but that they forget that the two together were the highest scoring duo in the NHL. Clearly from everything he has said he likes the flexibility to change things up. Chia may see it differently but once the roster is set it is McLellan who will be determining how they line up.

And last year when RNH and Draisaitl were together McLellan made it clear that he saw RNH as the "center" on the line. Though my guess is that as Draisaitl becomes more comfortable with the defensive responsibilities as a center he will play their more.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Don't be surprised to see Nuge get a game or 2 on the wing. All depends on if Strome is capable on filling the 3C role

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think his 6M price tag will make him more difficult to move than people expect. He also has hovered around the 40 point mark the last two seasons. If he has another season of similar caliber, I think it could turn into a difficult contract to move. Or, at least one that won't bring back a notable return.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Chiarelli said he sees Draisaitl as a C going forward, im assuming that vision aligns with the player and Todd McLellan.

But LD's chemistry with McDavid is a good knife in the back pocket to have.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I thought oilers needed a checking C if they traded RNH? either way habs have the space to keep pleky if the deal is like. I think the habs do that deal.

Gallagher+2018 1st
for
RNH

the difference between RNH and Gally is not a 1st especially in a deep draft
given cap hits an dlength.. RNH value is dropping unless he can produce once again.

Putting up similar numbers to Phil Danault from the habs whilst playing nearly 4 minutes more per game is not gonna get you a return you expect.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
One hard thing about trading him now, is that we don't really have a pressing need that trading RNH would solve. Yes, we could get a defenseman but that's a temporary hole caused by Sekera's injury, and we already have some young high end D looking to move up. The real need on defense would be a player who is much more valuable than RNH.

We're also fine in net, and ultimately would rather keep RNH as center depth until we are forced to move on from him, and it is not written in stone that we will move on from him.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I think his 6M price tag will make him more difficult to move than people expect. He also has hovered around the 40 point mark the last two seasons. If he has another season of similar caliber, I think it could turn into a difficult contract to move. Or, at least one that won't bring back a notable return.

This seems right. I keep thinking I should want him on the Isles but he doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over Nelson, who is a lock for 20 goals and about 45 points. I would guess that other teams are looking at this similarly.

That said I could think of a few teams who would take him, like NJ, but the return wouldn't be good.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Chiarelli said he sees Draisaitl as a C going forward, im assuming that vision aligns with the player and Todd McLellan.

But LD's chemistry with McDavid is a good knife in the back pocket to have.

They would have to be out of their minds to pay Dry Saddle that kind of money to play with McDavid. You pay Dry Saddle that money to make another Patrick Maroon. Turn 15 goal guys into 27 goal guys.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I think his 6M price tag will make him more difficult to move than people expect. He also has hovered around the 40 point mark the last two seasons.

Not really. He got 43 last year which was a down year, but was playing at a 50+ point pace the year before. He played at a 60 point pace the year before that (56 points, missing 6 games).

So 1 injury plagued year and then 1 down year. Coupled together obviously leads to disappointment and he has to turn it around this year, but what you said is misleading.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Not really. He got 43 last year which was a down year, but was playing at a 50+ point pace the year before. He played at a 60 point pace the year before that (56 points, missing 6 games).

So 1 injury plagued year and then 1 down year. Coupled together obviously leads to disappointment and he has to turn it around this year, but what you said is misleading.

by that logic Galchenyuks value is that of a 65 point player as that was his pace last year with injury 44 in 61 games and had 54 the prior year with 30 goals.

truth is.. RNH has had poor production especially given his ice time (nearly 4 minutes more per game then galchenyuk for example) and his value has dropped significantly.

Eberle Fethced you strome. wouldnt be surprised if RNH fetches you guys a 2nd - 3rd liner... under 23 with potential. or a top 4 RD under 23 with potential.. but they usually have higher value then forwards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad