Speculation: Did RNH just become (more) available?

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Oilers have a ton of money committed to McDavid and Drai now.

Does this mean the Nuge could be on his way out?

If so, what would get it done and when will it happen?

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If they could Eberle him this summer, he would also be gone. As long as McDavid's contract kicks in next year. Oilers can still afford him. Next year, there will be more urgency to move him.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
He is definitely available for next off season

The smart thing for the Oilers would be to put him on McDavid's wing so he can boost his value.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Man, the Oilers are in a very thought spot right now. They need him to compete this year but they also know if they wait until the end of next season they will get penny on the dollar. Look at what the Caps got for Johansson.

Not an easy decision to make but I think they hold on to him this year.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Doesn't make sense to trade him now. The Oilers would be much better off showcasing him, putting him in a position to get 60+ points, then trading him.

That being said, it's Chiarelli.

Stajan straight up.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Oilers have a ton of money committed to McDavid and Drai now.

Does this mean the Nuge could be on his way out?

If so, what would get it done?

if im edmonton i dont wait last second to deal him... but i dont deal him for pennies today... and honestly i doubt a 6 mill undersized 50 point center that cant win faceoffs has much value

im guesseing oilers hold on to him... hope he scores better... hope some team gets hungry for him...

a trade could happen any moment but only if someone overpays. his value right now is so low... doesnt make sense to trade him for fair value today

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Man, the Oilers are in a very thought spot right now. They need him to compete this year but they also know if they wait until the end of next season they will get penny on the dollar. Look at what the Caps got for Johansson.

Not an easy decision to make but I think they hold on to him this year.

They could get a pretty good player to replace him at 3C and a decent pick/prospect this year. As you said, his value may diminish closer to next season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
McLellan seems to love Nuge and there is still an outside chance that the Oilers can afford their current roster going forward. Nuge and Maroon are the two guys likely on the bubble with Strome being the other wild card. How each player's year goes this year will say a lot about who is available.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
It's the only logical way to go. People forget that McDavid's contract doesn't even kick in until next year.

This makes sense.

I can see him being traded before....but jeez that 6M pricetag is gonna be really really tough to move.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Teams are always looking for Center depth. I don't think he will be hard to move this or next year. He's not a franchise #1OA player. But he is still a decent player with 2 way ability. I am sure there will be a team(s) in the running for him once Chiarelli wants to deal him.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
IMO he's a 2C , sometimes asked to be a 3C due to players ahead of him.
I would gladly take on the Sens as a 2C

raw tools are there to be first line... but confidence might be shot. i think a new team trading for him is entitled to hope he can be their 1center

his real problem is his contract. of every player in nhl at 6 and more, hopkins might be the worst over the last 2 years (along with eberle)

maybe if islanders lose tavares theyd need someone like hopkins to take the slack? vegas might decide to gamble since they have caproom...

theres some possible markets out there but at 6 mill theres not alot of incentive to give up value for him

ottawa would want to send back contract... thats not what edmonton can do

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
raw tools are there to be first line... but confidence might be shot. i think a new team trading for him is entitled to hope he can be their 1center

his real problem is his contract. of every player in nhl at 6 and more, hopkins might be the worst over the last 2 years (along with eberle)

maybe if islanders lose tavares theyd need someone like hopkins to take the slack? vegas might decide to gamble since they have caproom...

theres some possible markets out there but at 6 mill theres not alot of incentive to give up value for him

ottawa would want to send back contract... thats not what edmonton can do

The Oilers may well be in a position to eat some of the deal if it means increasing the return. They may not be far off being able to afford everyone. They certainly will not need $6M in freed up cap space.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think if he'll be moved it's gonna happen when they need to. They're set for 17-18, but after that who knows.

So.. can we not put RNH in every trade proposal this season ?

John Connor McDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lot of Oiler pundits have him starting the year with McDavid to boost his value and stock for a future trade.

Maroon McDavid RNH
Lucic Draisaitl Slepyshev
Jokinen Strome Puljujarvi (yeesh)
Caggiula Letestu Kassian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad