Did/do you like Tie Domi and his career with the Leafs?

Did/do you like Domi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
A much greater % dislikes Domi than Marner. 27% vs 9%

Pro tip, some posters are better off ignored.
I just dont understand how anyone could like a pos like domi. The guy didnt like being benched and retaliated by staying in hotel room during a game and showing up in the second period. Either people are clueless or they arent real fans of the game. The leafs bought his contract out for a reason. He was poison.

Reactions: BallardEra

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I just dont understand how anyone could like a pos like domi. The guy didnt like being benched and retaliated by staying in hotel room during a game and showing up in the second period. Either people are clueless or they arent real fans of the game. The leafs bought his contract out for a reason. He was poison.
Oh well, as the GM stated he was a fan favourite and still is apparently, by a margin of 3 to 1.

Maple Leafs part with Domi, Belfour - Tie Domi
“We want to thank Tie for his many years of service to the organization,” said GM John Ferguson in a press release. “He became a fan favourite for a reason and we wish him well in the years ahead.”

Reactions: Auston Escobar

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
not saying that what Tie did was right, but it more or less mirrored what he did to Samuelsson, who definitely deserved it and more, lot's more for that matter, and if I remember correctly there was a lot of people cheering him on for that one.

I find it weird that Niedermeyer get's all this sympathy and has this kind of squeaky clean image, with a SC, HoF and all that jazz, when the fact of the matter is they're are very few players in the league that don't have some real nasty dirt in their game and both Niedermeyers had more than some and less then other's. Not sure what he did but Tie Domi didn't do what he did in a vacuum, just because HNiC didn't track back to whatever cheap shot Scotty gave Mats or somebody else on the team, doesn't mean his hands were clean.

I'd like to know more about this I also remember Alfredssn shooting the puck at Niedermeyer in the playoffs (like slap shooting it right at him in the neutral zone). Either Nieds gets away with sneaky stuff we don't see on camera or maybe he's just super-frustrating to play against. But that's exactly the problem with Domi elbowing Nidermeyer vs. the sucker punch to Samuelsson. Everyone knows why he did it to Samuelsson. The Niedermeyer thing was completely unnecessary and if you've ever heard Domi's explanation for it, you'd agree. He basically said the whole crowd was cheering his name and he got hyped up on adrenaline and lost control. That's not retaliation, that's a narcissist thinking the whole world was all about him at that moment in time.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I'd like to know more about this I also remember Alfredssn shooting the puck at Niedermeyer in the playoffs (like slap shooting it right at him in the neutral zone). Either Nieds gets away with sneaky stuff we don't see on camera or maybe he's just super-frustrating to play against. But that's exactly the problem with Domi elbowing Nidermeyer vs. the sucker punch to Samuelsson. Everyone knows why he did it to Samuelsson. The Niedermeyer thing was completely unnecessary and if you've ever heard Domi's explanation for it, you'd agree. He basically said the whole crowd was cheering his name and he got hyped up on adrenaline and lost control. That's not retaliation, that's a narcissist thinking the whole world was all about him at that moment in time.
Tie has also said that Neidermeyer had his stick up into Ties face, and he'd had enough, but that his actions were foolish, selfish and unnecessary. I've also heard him tell a variation on that theme.

Whatever the actual truth is, I don't believe for a second Neidermeyer did not deserve his comeuppance.

Really no different than Hrudey shovelling that line of horsepuckey a few weeks back about Pionk being such an honest and clean player. You'd almost think that thing with Mitch didn't actually happen.

FriendlyGiant

Jul 28, 2006
There is one episode regarding Tie Domi that I will never forget. I've been a Leafs fan since moving from Winnipeg to Ontario many years ago, and I was a Jets fan before then. At one point in his career Domi was traded to Winnipeg. During his time with the Jets the Leafs came to town and Wendel Clark was pounding little Dougie Smail (speedy 5'9" 170lb Winnipeg winger). Tie Domie was brought in to bring toughness to the team and to keep other teams "accountable", but when his buddy Wendel was physically abusing Smail, Tie just skated up to Wendel and then skated away - he did nothing to stick up for his teammate. I'll never forget that. I know that he and Wendel Clark were close friends, but on the ice your loyalty is to your team. I lost any respect I had for Tie after that.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Nothing sneaky about Niedermayer, he was a dirty player who used his stick as a weapon. Tie was getting retribution for the fact that Niedermayer crosschecked him in the face, opening him up for blood, which of course, due to who did it and who they did it to, got ignored.

Niedermayer delivered probably one of the most heinous sticks I have seen in 5 decades of watching hockey, a literal full on swing coming down on a player's head (Worrell). Made the whole Brashear thing look minor.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Well the question asks about his career. I suppose it depends how much stock you put into what parts.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Loved him when I was a kid. As an adult, I can see he was a pretty dirty guy. Don't know that I'd want that on this team.

Quick little story here, I was in middle school when he threw that hit on Niedermayer, and vividly remember having a pretty heated argument with my art teacher who insisted it was actually Stevens that Domi hit. I wonder if I should look that guy up and ask if he feels dumb for that.

Edit: Thinking back, I realise that team was built to play that way. Let's face it, the roster was loaded with dirty players. Domi, Tucker, Corson, Manson and Marchment all wore the blue and white at points near the turn of the century. Pat Quinn really had this team playing mean. They weren't known as the Bay Street Bullies for nothin.

Anyone who hasn't seen it, try to watch the playoff series against the Islanders. There was a LOT of hatred in that one. One of the most violent series in my lifetime.

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I'd like to know more about this I also remember Alfredssn shooting the puck at Niedermeyer in the playoffs (like slap shooting it right at him in the neutral zone). Either Nieds gets away with sneaky stuff we don't see on camera or maybe he's just super-frustrating to play against.
Alfredsson did that because he was a classless punk that could handle the fact that his team was getting dominated in the finals. Dude was a sore loser, plain and simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad