Did/do you like Tie Domi and his career with the Leafs?

Did/do you like Domi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Definitely agree he should have waited for another time to pay Niedermayer back.
exactly - got to play smart in the PO, Kadri the same, just not as egregious play. But Domi was just a terrible guy - shit talking in a way that I felt often crossed the line. Admittedly I would have loved to see him pummel that Flyers fan

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Hockey was very different then.
It was a bad play, but IIRC the Devils were playing scumbag hockey too. Stevens has ended more players careers than Domi I'm sure

Oh no doubt, I even think Stevens had done worse flying elbows and the rest of it. I'm just totally pissed and unforgiving because I felt that Domi cost us that series because of his stupidity.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
High quality enforcer, back when such a thing was useful. Taking out Niedermeyer did the reverse of what was intended though, and basically cost us that series/playoff run. Which kinda sums up the story of the enforcer and why we don't have them anymore.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
100% percent agree with you on that. I wanted to mention it in my first post, and it was on my mind while writing that.

Keep in mind that up until the last 10-15 years I am guessing, that there was less camaraderie off the ice among the players than there is now. Today especially, there are so many development camps, specialty training, etc that these guys are all buddies off the ice moreso now than ever. Sure you can put friendships aside during the heat of the battle, but this may play in the "entitle prima donnas" aspect of what you are talking about.

Cheers! ( I can't like I'm in the corner in a time out)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Although I think he was pound for pound one of the toughest players I ever watched AND able to put up decent 4th line numbers, he wouldn't fit in at all with this team. The Leafs from Domi's era had team toughness and it's something that's really missed. I may be wrong, but there seemed to be alot of ex captains on the roster at that time.

Cheers. (I agree)

It was the fact he was a lefty, was short and stocky (thick neck) and had a head the size of a freight train helped him a lot. The guy had the perfect build and style for a NHL goon.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Loved him, we could really use some of that now. The Niedermayer incident really upset me but, as with any player of that sort of mentality (Kadri, Marchand etc...) It's inevitable that their emotions will get the best of them from time to time.

I know the back story behind that hit, my social circle is a couple of degrees of separation from former NHLers who played in that era. People talk. Tie just didn't run him out of no where, Scott said something to Tie that was degusting. Tie reacted poorly. That does not excuse Tie from what he did but if someone said to me what Scott said to Tie, that guy wouldn't be talking to his wife on the phone minutes after he left the ice. Your right Tie lost his cool, he saw red and ran Neiderpussy. Crest on the front before name on the back.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
100% percent agree with you on that. I wanted to mention it in my first post, and it was on my mind while writing that.

Keep in mind that up until the last 10-15 years I am guessing, that there was less camaraderie off the ice among the players than there is now. Today especially, there are so many development camps, specialty training, etc that these guys are all buddies off the ice moreso now than ever. Sure you can put friendships aside during the heat of the battle, but this may play in the "entitle prima donnas" aspect of what you are talking about.

When the Flames had their minor league team in my home town, Vernon, Roberts and Otto shared a townhouse a street over from me, they had plenty of comradery, their off ice stories were epic ... :) the true stories and the ones that were made up about them.

In todays day, when you are away from the rink, it's about diet, exercise, playing video games, Instagram, and other soft stuff. Back in the mid 80's it was about beer, women and cigarettes and sneaking out after curfew ;) stories like Guy Lafleur smoking in the locker room between periods... were quite common...

Reactions: the squared circle

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Oh no doubt, I even think Stevens had done worse flying elbows and the rest of it. I'm just totally pissed and unforgiving because I felt that Domi cost us that series because of his stupidity.
That's fair but not sure that was why. That devils team was a dynasty.
I remember it and was not happy with it because it was a cheap shot and as a fan of the team I always like to think of my team as 'better than that'

Man I hated the devils back then. They had the trap down pat and Brodeur allowed to handle the puck anywhere in the D zone just frustrated the f bomb or of me.

Reactions: Enga Olly

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
Listen to him when he did the chiclets pod cast you can tell his ego is way bigger than his head now.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
In an era where all teams had goons on the roster for no reason other than hits and fighting, he was a fighter who could also actually play hockey. He obviously wasn't an offensive standout or anything but he wasn't Colton Orr. He had some ability, limited as it might have been.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I liked him as a player that played a role on the team, sure, but definitely not more than the really skilled guys like Sundin and Mogilny.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I know the back story behind that hit, my social circle is a couple of degrees of separation from former NHLers who played in that era. People talk. Tie just didn't run him out of no where, Scott said something to Tie that was degusting. Tie reacted poorly. That does not excuse Tie from what he did but if someone said to me what Scott said to Tie, that guy wouldn't be talking to his wife on the phone minutes after he left the ice. Your right Tie lost his cool, he saw red and ran Neiderpussy. Crest on the front before name on the back.
What did he say?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He seems like a very polarizing figure among TML fans.

LOL at the avatar. I really see Matthews being like that after his retirement :laugh:

As Sundin had said Domi and Tucker had his back. And he was not just a face puncher he could skate and play some hockey too.

I'd take Domi on my team anyday. But his off ice antics is something I'd try to keep the youngsters away from though

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
In an era where all teams had goons on the roster for no reason other than hits and fighting, he was a fighter who could also actually play hockey. He obviously wasn't an offensive standout or anything but he wasn't Colton Orr. He had some ability, limited as it might have been.

Wasn't that limited. Didn't he have 15 goals and 51 points one year? Didn't look that up, pretty sure though. Pretty good season for a lot of players.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Domi just wasn't coached properly on how to get your kid through the GTHL.

Mr Hyman knows all you need to do is buy the coach lavish gifts or send them on trips to their summer homes. That's how it's done in the GTHL.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I was a kid during the Sundin era heydays, but I can say that Domi was most definitely a fan favourite and he fit right in with that group of tough guys and agitators on those 2000s Leafs teams. He wouldn’t now I don’t think, and from everything I’ve read and heard he seems like an asshole off the ice, so right now I’d say I don’t like him.

Hard to answer this poll question since it’s asking for past and current feelings towards Domi. Loved him when he played, don’t like him now.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He received a 1.5m dollar deal on a 37m cap. So that's what 3.2-3,4m/y for an elite 4th liner today. I've seen that done so many times since 2005 and defended by a bunch of people on these forums. He should be remember as doing his f***ing job and being an impactful part of a team that was a contender that ended up short for the cup. Love tie domi

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Wasn't that limited. Didn't he have 15 goals and 51 points one year? Didn't look that up, pretty sure though. Pretty good season for a lot of players.

You got me to check because I'm curious. Correct on the 15 goals, but best points total was 29. Three seasons 10+ goals, five seasons 20+ points.

One thing I didn't realize is that most of his better goals/points seasons came in the second half of his career. I also didn't realize he was drafted in the second round by the Leafs in 1988. That probably makes him one of the Leafs best ever second round picks! Our first rounder that year was Scott Pearson who I completely forgot ever existed until this moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad