Did/do you like Tie Domi and his career with the Leafs?

Did/do you like Domi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
You got me to check because I'm curious. Correct on the 15 goals, but best points total was 29. Three seasons 10+ goals, five seasons 20+ points.

One thing I didn't realize is that most of his better goals/points seasons came in the second half of his career. I also didn't realize he was drafted in the second round by the Leafs in 1988. That probably makes him one of the Leafs best ever second round picks! Our first rounder that year was Scott Pearson who I completely forgot ever existed until this moment.

Hmmm, I might be confusing the points total with Darcy Tucker. Memory's shot.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Domi just wasn't coached properly on how to get your kid through the GTHL.

Mr Hyman knows all you need to do is buy the coach lavish gifts or send them on trips to their summer homes. That's how it's done in the GTHL.
Right, so Domi is totally blameless?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yep - We won that game and it felt like a loss - then of course we proceeded to shit the bed and lose the series. I'm convinced it was that moment we lost the series. Selfish, arrogant jackass. So glad his son doesn't play for us

Yup, I mean there was like 4 seconds left or something, game in the bag.

I believe it went to a game 7 and Leafs had like 12 shots on goal the whole game or something.

Just going off memory. But it was a real POS move by Domi and I think his teammates hated it, and the Devils rallied around it.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Yep - We won that game and it felt like a loss - then of course we proceeded to shit the bed and lose the series. I'm convinced it was that moment we lost the series. Selfish, arrogant jackass. So glad his son doesn't play for us

I have always felt like that one lapse in judgement ruined his legacy here. Other than that, I thought he was one of the best 4th liners/enforcers that we ever had.

Reactions: therealkoho

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
When I was younger...yea. Now? I'm conflicted over that Neidermayer incident...and now as an adult hearing how he conducts himself...hard to separate post-career Tie and Leaf Tie...

The question asks "Did/do I like him" ?

I did he was a real good 4th liner...but I don't now...so no, I don't like him.

Reactions: HolyCrap and geo25

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Good enforcer with some game.

A Wayne Simmonds-level player and fighter. (Well, current Simmonds at least - prime Simmonds was a much better player.)

Though Wayne beats him in the character department by quite a bit

Of course, Toronto always loves its goons more than its skill so Domi was a hero here.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
On OTR they were talking about those two was only 8 years ago when they both wore the Leafs jersey. Feels like 20 years ago TBH. We had a stretch of heavy weights that were among the best in the league, Belak (RIP), Orr, McLaren, Domi,

TBH I miss old school hockey. This prima donna, figure skating BS that they call hockey now a days is as boring as F on most nights.

We literally have Simmonds Ritchie Clifford all on the team right now.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Although I think he was pound for pound one of the toughest players I ever watched AND able to put up decent 4th line numbers, he wouldn't fit in at all with this team. The Leafs from Domi's era had team toughness and it's something that's really missed. I may be wrong, but there seemed to be alot of ex captains on the roster at that time.

Roster comp between these Leafs and Domi's Leafs:

Screenshot_20211225-084247_Sheets.jpg

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I was never a big fan or anything but didn't mind him until his last season. That season he was basically useless and used politics to stay on the team. I was glad he was bought out.

Don't care much about him either way now.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Other than for the Scott Niedermayer ELBOW in the 2001 playoffs, I mostly liked what Tie Domi brought to our Leafs. He was a least a TEAM player IMHO.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Still have some fond memories of him as a general part of that Leafs era (and obviously some classic fights)... but hardly the first name that comes to mind for those 98-03 teams (and that Neidermayer incident is just embarrassing)

I remember after his 15 goal season there were articles/interviews half tongue in cheek talking about him becoming more of a scorer later in his career... probably fed his ego a fair bit as he started to think he was more than a 4th line plug. He started to become more of a sideshow than an 'enforcer'.

I also remember how he was apparently teaching Belak to 'spin' guys in fights, which led to some ridiculous looking fights (setting aside the morality of fighting in hockey, those were not entertaining fights). He was mainly doing it because he could no longer take hits to the head and was trying to hide that he wasn't a true heavyweight anymore.

I think the final game I saw him live was in Ottawa where we were getting absolutely destroyed. Domi challenged McGrattan to maybe change the momentum... and McGrattan promptly broke his nose. It was just sad.

So, yeah, I grew pretty tired of him by the end (and hardly an upstanding member of our community since)

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
I worked at a golf course when i was a kid that had a tournment with a bunch of NHL players, we didn't bother them as we were working, but Domi was the only one that came over and said a few words to us. Brought the sunshine girls over as well if i recall....

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Extremely overrated and I would of fought to play in the NHL, but cant hate on someone who played 1000+ games in the show.

WordsOfWisdom

Nov 25, 2021
He seems like a very polarizing figure among TML fans.

I miss that era of hockey. Tie Domi was one of the NHL's top enforcers during an era where you needed one to survive.

I don't know how he is away from the ice, and I don't follow players after they retire, but I'm not going to hold it against him if he hates the game he sees today or if he hates what our society has become today. I think things were much better 20 years ago overall. I'd rather be living in 2000 again any day. :)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Good enforcer with some game.

A Wayne Simmonds-level player and fighter. (Well, current Simmonds at least - prime Simmonds was a much better player.)

Though Wayne beats him in the character department by quite a bit

Of course, Toronto always loves its goons more than its skill so Domi was a hero here.

Even current Simmonds is probably a better player although the gap is obviously much closer

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Domi was great at what he did, as much of a troll as Marchand while being one of the best enforcers in league history, and could actually play.

From what I understand he’s a passionate guy who is super loyal, which is great if you’re in his circle, but he also gets triggered kind of easily and becomes threatening. I remember he nearly walked off Chicklets because he didn’t like Biz swearing, and that he chased Danil Markov to beat the shit out of him at some party because markov was doing some Russian dance and finished off by taking a shot and chucking the glass, nearly hitting Tie, unintentionally.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
yes and no, Tie wasn't known for his humanity and no one paid him for it anyway.

I think you'll always find some clay in the feet of your idols whether they be in the past, present or future!

Reactions: WordsOfWisdom

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He's the only player that made me feel ashamed to be a Leaf fan. What he did to Niedermayer in the PO was unforgivable, plus all the other disgraceful things, the times he would pup out of a fight etc. Wished he never put on a Leaf jersey.

not saying that what Tie did was right, but it more or less mirrored what he did to Samuelsson, who definitely deserved it and more, lot's more for that matter, and if I remember correctly there was a lot of people cheering him on for that one.

I find it weird that Niedermeyer get's all this sympathy and has this kind of squeaky clean image, with a SC, HoF and all that jazz, when the fact of the matter is there are very few players in the league that don't have some real nasty dirt in their game and both Niedermeyers had more than some and less then other's. Not sure what he did but Tie Domi didn't do what he did in a vacuum, just because HNiC didn't track back to whatever cheap shot Scotty gave Mats or somebody else on the team, doesn't mean his hands were clean.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2