Blue Jays Discussion: Dickey Wins Gold Glove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
wow i would have thought those prospects would net more than an average at best $14M John Danks a 2B that doesn't seem to be the wow effect nor stats.

Seems steep to me.

I say no.

Chicago can be interested in any one of our prospects, that doesn't mean they'll be able to acquire them.

Seriously, aside from Alexei Ramirez (who we don't need) and Chris Sale (who they won't trade), none of their guys will fetch Aaron Sanchez (or Marcus Stroman for that matter).

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Chicago can be interested in any one of our prospects, that doesn't mean they'll be able to acquire them.

Seriously, aside from Alexei Ramirez (who we don't need) and Chris Sale (who they won't trade), none of their guys will fetch Aaron Sanchez (or Marcus Stroman for that matter).

Good. I hope your right.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
This story was obviously leaked from the Chicago side, which means it includes guys they're asking for; it doesn't mean they're gonna get it. Beckham does fit the typical profile of an AA trade target: young, controllable, "untapped" potential to buy low on. Danks on the other hand hasn't been nearly the same since his surgery and is owed a ton of money. To think either would fetch Stroman, or more laughably Sanchez, is ridiculous. I'd bet the farm this deal doesn't happen as reported. Plus it's Ken Williams - better order an extra-thorough physical...

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Gordon has a career .249/.314/.380/.694 slash line. wRC+ is just 86 (Maicer Izturis btw, is a career 91). Defensively, he is average to maybe a tick above average. He is 27 years old and has been in the league for 5 years. There is no potential with him anymore -- he is what he is, which is at best an average player. Just 5.4 WAR over his 5 year career... he is so, just whatever. Had a good rookie season but has been pretty bad since then.

I guess if Jays literally cannot find anyone who is remotely an upgrade over these options, then sure, reluctantly go for Beckham. Realistically, the price for Beckham should be a mid-level prospect at best.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Only way I move one of our pitching prospects is if Danks is involved along with Beckham. Although even that is not desireable to me.

Danks is owed pretty big money and hasn't really been stellar either. I'd rather stay away from the white sox if their talking about our top pitching prospects because these really aren't pieces that interest me moving them for. On an aside the Jays are linked to Anderson from the A's once again as well. That would be a big gamble as well.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Gordon has a career .249/.314/.380/.694 slash line. wRC+ is just 86 (Maicer Izturis btw, is a career 91). Defensively, he is average to maybe a tick above average. He is 27 years old and has been in the league for 5 years. There is no potential with him anymore -- he is what he is, which is at best an average player. Just 5.4 WAR over his 5 year career... he is so, just whatever. Had a good rookie season but has been pretty bad since then.

I guess if Jays literally cannot find anyone who is remotely an upgrade over these options, then sure, reluctantly go for Beckham. Realistically, the price for Beckham should be a mid-level prospect at best.

He has "pedigree" being a former high pick who had a pretty good rookie year. It's not unusual for guys to break out anywhere in their 25-29 year old years, especially when injuries are involved. Plus, there's always someone who thinks "I can fix this guy and bring it out of him." But yeah, you're right that the price for Beckham shouldn't be anywhere near as high as reported.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
2nd base is a difficult position to find a quality player. I would say that a 91 wRC+ isnt too bad for 2nd.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
2nd base is a difficult position to find a quality player. I would say that a 91 wRC+ isnt too bad for 2nd.

Yeah, a good glove is so crucial at that position. I'd be OK with having a hole in the lineup there if it means improving the defence. Provided offense at one of LF and catcher is sorted out for the Jays next year. Can't have three holes in the lineup in the AL.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So moving on....we have 10 days to make a decision on picking up the often injured josh johnson? Ayone else?

Thanks

There are options on Janssen and DeRosa too, but I'm pretty sure those were already picked up. And if not, they will be for sure.

Johnson is a tougher call. The option wouldn't normally be worth it, but this is a horrid FA market for pitchers this off-season, so who knows if that doesn't suddenly make the value more fair relative to what other crappy pitchers might get. I'd bring Johnson back if they can get him for a cheaper price. Maybe give him a cheap year and a pair of more expensive option years with incentives. He could at least be a good player to have in the fight for a back-of-the-rotation spot.

FakeKidPoker*

This is BS.

It should have been the Yankees.. damn all their injuries.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
the whole city of boston is laughing at us now

Dunno why. Farrell didn't win them anything. He still made some stupid stupid decisions along the way. He just had a team that had enough pieces on it to make up for his dumb mistakes, and enough luck that they didn't hurt the team too badly too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad