Blue Jays Discussion: Dickey Wins Gold Glove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Considering the Jays were likely #2 for Darvish I don't see how this hurts them exactly when using past situations.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Considering the Jays were likely #2 for Darvish I don't see how this hurts them exactly when using past situations.

Do I think the Jays are not bidding? I don't really know what you're asking me.

In the previous system, no. 1 bid gets exclusive rights for 30 days, correct?

So hypothetically, let's say the Jays bid and win. Is it not conceivable that it's a better scenario to have exclusive rights rather than having to compete with say, the Yankees and X team to now have to outbid for the contract as well?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
In the previous system, no. 1 bid gets exclusive rights for 30 days, correct?

So hypothetically, let's say the Jays bid and win. Is it not conceivable that it's a better scenario to have exclusive rights rather than having to compete with say, the Yankees and X team to now have to outbid for the contract as well?

The article suggests that as a possibility with regards to alterations in the posting system, but they'll likely still have just one team win the exclusive negotiating rights.

As for your hypothetical, well, history suggests that the Jays never won a blind bid to begin with. If they were to win one, I'd assume they'd have the most interest in offering a contract to the player. With the Yankees likely always hovering around the luxury tax the Jays could use some creativity when it comes to contract offers too. Situations are always key too. Players like to go where they feel they'd be best suited. The manager in contract discussions can always reference and state a willingness to build around the player in order to succeed. All hypothetical though.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.fieldingbible.com/default.asp

Winning the award as best-fielding pitcher in all of baseball was Toronto Blue Jays pitcher R.A. Dickey, who also won (who did NOT win) the Gold Glove Award for the American Leagues announced on October 28. “Mark Buehrle won the previous four Fielding Bible Awards at pitcher,†Dewan points out in the Handbook. In 2013, Buehrle joined the Blue Jays and teammate R.A. Dickey wins the Award. Did Mr. Buehrle give Mr. Dickey a few pointers? Maybe. But the fact is that Dickey has been a superlative defender for quite some time now. He has been in the top 10 among 175 qualifying pitchers in Defensive Runs Saved in each of that last four years. He excels in all facets of defending his position. As a knuckleballer, Dickey always puts himself in good fielding position after each pitch. He covers bunts very well, and has a tremendous pickoff move. He has picked off 12 runners in the last three years, which is tied for the second-most in baseball behind James Shields (19) among right-handed pitchers. The vote totals (out of 120 possible points: Dickey 105, Zack Greinke (Dodgers) 98, Buehrle 73.â€

R.A Dickey wins the fielding bible award. To whoever said he doesn't deserve the GG award, well it's pretty obvious that he's not only the best fielding pitcher in the AL, but he's the best fielding pitcher in the entire majors.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
http://www.fieldingbible.com/default.asp

R.A Dickey wins the fielding bible award. To whoever said he doesn't deserve the GG award, well it's pretty obvious that he's not only the best fielding pitcher in the AL, but he's the best fielding pitcher in the entire majors.

I'm not going to go purely by the #s for naming defensive POTYs in each league/position, because they're still refining the calculations to make them tighter/more accurate/more consistent, but it's definitely food for thought.

Where I think DRS is useful is in refuting bad observational arguments. I hate to beat the dead horse on this, but a good example is 2010.

Derek Jeter was the 2010 AL SS Gold Glove winner. Based on Defensive Runs Saved, Jeter ranked 2nd worst out of all AL regular shortstops (min 750 innings fielded at short) ahead of only the gong show named Yuni Betancourt. While I wouldn't just hand it to the DRS leader for the year (it was Alexei Ramirez of the White Sox. In this instance he wouldn't be a bad choice though.), the fact that DRS has Jeter not only being a negative total, but be like 27 runs behind Ramirez should've been a giant red flag that the voters maybe want to go back and reconsider their thought process.

I think that the fact Gold Gloves are such a well-worn topic of scorn and disdain for the piss-poor way they're handed out kind makes my observation redundant, but I wanted to just take a moment to note that no matter how flawed the setup is, I don't think just crunching the numbers in the spreadsheet is the right answer. It's all about balance.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Maybe not as interesting as past content that we've posted, but I felt it was important to make sure that our blog was more accessible to people who don't necessarily know all the stats and what they mean, so I added a glossary to the site that explains some of the more common Sabremetrics and some of our common thought processes on other statistical ideas.

So if anyone needs a plain english refresher/primer on things like wOBA, wRC+, FIP, SIERA, etc you can check it out.

http://www.bluejayshipsters.com/2013/10/new-blog-section-bjh-glossary.html

and that's my shameless plug for today

thank you!
(because I forgot every blessed thing you taught me in april :laugh:)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Surprisingly not too awful list of gold glove winners this year. The only ones I want to take significant issue with are Brandon Phillips as NL 2B (he surely gets it for his highlight reel more actaul defensive impact, but it's not too awful) and perhaps more egregiously, Adam Jones.

Jones won this almost entirely on rep and hype. He was dead last in AL CFs in basically every defensive metric by a pretty sizable margin. Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Trout, or even Colby Rasmus (who was first in most defensive metrics and had a pretty solid offensive season if they want to continue to stupidly factor that in) would've all been better choices.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
thank you!
(because I forgot every blessed thing you taught me in april :laugh:)

I just fixed the link in there. For some reason even though I pasted the page address to the actual glossary, it wasn't making it a clickable link. It's now clickable.

and if you need more explanation on anything, let me know. I tried to keep it simple in the glossary to avoid bogging people down too much in excess detail if they didn't want it.

Last edited:

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Dickey was on Jeff Blair show at 1130am today. This guy is the most amazing press conference/interview man ever. He is the master.

Says all the right things and doesn't ever give the stupid athlete vague answers to questions/ cliches.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Dickey was on Jeff Blair show at 1130am today. This guy is the most amazing press conference/interview man ever. He is the master.

Says all the right things and doesn't ever give the stupid athlete vague answers to questions/ cliches.

It shocked me to no ends how people were even turning on his interviews last season. I know it comes with the territory of a losing team, but man, some people. He's all class.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
MLB.com: Jays interested in second baseman Gordon Beckham - See more at: http://forum

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/new...md=20131030&content_id=63520456&vkey=news_tor

CHICAGO -- The Blue Jays are in the market for a new second baseman, and one of their early targets appears to be Chicago's Gordon Beckham.

MLB.com has learned that the Blue Jays have interest in acquiring the White Sox second baseman, which dates back to last offseason, when the possibility of a trade was first explored. The interest has since been renewed with general manager Alex Anthopoulos intent on upgrading the position.

As per club policy, Toronto doesn't comment on potential transactions and has yet to issue any type of statement regarding its plans for the offseason -- besides admitting second base, left field and starting pitching are areas of need. White Sox general manager Rick Hahn declined comment on the matter as well.

The Blue Jays and White Sox appear to be somewhat ideal trading partners this offseason. Chicago is coming off a 99-loss campaign and is looking to rebuild its organization, while the Blue Jays are hoping to upgrade in an attempt to get into the postseason.

Toronto has the majority of its core locked up for the next two years and has a limited window of opportunity to build itself into a World Series contender. Beckham is eligible for arbitration this offseason and remains under club control through the 2015 campaign.

It's also possible that the Blue Jays would look to expand any deal involving Beckham to also include a starting pitcher. Chicago's Hector Santiago and John Danks are known to be available, and the Blue Jays have a clear need to upgrade their current starting unit.

Chicago's asking price is high for any type of package, and it's believed the organization is strongly interested in Blue Jays right-handers Aaron Sanchez or Marcus Stroman. Both of those pitchers are the prized assets of Toronto's Minor League organization and won't be easily pried loose, but it's possible the club will be open to potential deals considering its strong need to upgrade the roster.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Only way I move one of our pitching prospects is if Danks is involved along with Beckham. Although even that is not desireable to me.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Gordon Beckham sucks. He might be a marginal upgrade over Goins. Danks is overrated and hasn't even been that good the last 3 years and is owed huge money.

I wouldn't even take them for free.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
wow i would have thought those prospects would net more than an average at best $14M John Danks a 2B that doesn't seem to be the wow effect nor stats.

Seems steep to me.

I say no.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
wow i would have thought those prospects would net more than an average at best $14M John Danks a 2B that doesn't seem to be the wow effect nor stats.

Seems steep to me.

I say no.
Danks is better than "an average at best" player. But such is the cost of pitching in baseball that a good pitcher yields a great return.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
For me, key part of the article is this:

"Toronto is expected to have some financial flexibility this offseason to make the required upgrades to its roster. According to various reports, the Blue Jays could have upwards of $20 million to spend with a payroll that could potentially reach $150 million."

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
For me, key part of the article is this:

"Toronto is expected to have some financial flexibility this offseason to make the required upgrades to its roster. According to various reports, the Blue Jays could have upwards of $20 million to spend with a payroll that could potentially reach $150 million."

Thats good news, the issue for me though is having Romero typing up a chunk of our budget and someone like Buerhle getting paid way more then what he provides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad