Blue Jays Discussion: Dickey Wins Gold Glove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Have to give the umps credit tonight and a quick and decisive "obstruction" call that gave the Cardinals the victory.

Unfortunate way to end but i think the right call.

Good job umps!

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
What a finish! Right call too, IMO. Watching it real time, it looked pretty blatant to me, and on the replay, Middlebrooks raises his legs.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Lol these questions asked to Farrell are hilarious.

"Does it make you feel more mad that it's Craig? Craig walking home with an injured foot..."

"...........No."

Here is the play:

817813335.gif

Jim Joyce called it a run. Hirschbeck just noted (post-game right now on SN360) that it does not have to be intentional and it's a run if there's obstruction on the baseline.

Penalty Kill Icing*

As someone new to baseball...

Can someone explain what mistakes Ferrell made in bottom of 9th that has made people furious over him on twitter?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Can someone explain what mistakes Ferrell made in bottom of 9th that has made people furious over him on twitter?

This wasn't in the bottom of the ninth, but he pinch hit Drew (with Middlebrooks), then moved Bogaerts who was playing third to shortstop and placed Middlebrooks at third. Also he let Brandon Workman (a pitcher) hit in the top of the ninth when Napoli is an option on the bench.

The whole Bogaerts/Middlebrooks thing was a problem in the bottom of the seventh because Bogaerts messed up a play and then Holliday hit a grounder that went passed Middlebrooks for two runs.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Maybe not as interesting as past content that we've posted, but I felt it was important to make sure that our blog was more accessible to people who don't necessarily know all the stats and what they mean, so I added a glossary to the site that explains some of the more common sabermetrics and some of our common thought processes on other statistical ideas.

So if anyone needs a plain english refresher/primer on things like wOBA, wRC+, FIP, SIERA, etc you can check it out.

http://www.bluejayshipsters.com/2013/10/new-blog-section-bjh-glossary.html

and that's my shameless plug for today

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Pretty classy of you guys remembering Kevfist with the avatars. He was a good guy to talk to.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

I know it is easy to say I would have done this, but imo Jon Jay should have been walked with Pete Kozma up behind him. Kozma is by far the worst Cardinals hitter, and he was going against the Red Sox' best reliever. Kozma batted .217 this year with a .275 On base percentage, that is beyond horrible (even for a shortstop). If he were to get a hit/make an out that produces a run off of Uehara, than just tip your cap to him.

DatsyukianDeke*

I know it is easy to say I would have done this, but imo Jon Jay should have been walked with Pete Kozma up behind him. Kozma is by far the worst Cardinals hitter, and he was going against the Red Sox' best reliever. Kozma batted .217 this year with a .275 On base percentage, that is beyond horrible (even for a shortstop). If he were to get a hit/make an out that produces a run off of Uehara, than just tip your cap to him.

He also sucks defensively. I imagine they will move some of there pitching for a good SS next year.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
I can't see Boston keeping Saltalamacchia, another brutal throw to 3rd. Why even bother throwing, there were 2 out - way too risky

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
So daily update of the players who have submitted their Tanaka bids are as follows.

Woodman19
Shimso
Mach85
habamillions
Eydea
Everlong
dredeye
Diamond Joe Quimby
darko
canucksfan
P I K E Y
Swervin81
Doug Gilmour

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Pretty classy of you guys remembering Kevfist with the avatars. He was a good guy to talk to.

Yeah. I don't mean to go all OT here, but I was an admin during the Atlanta/Winnipeg transition, so I had lots of opportunities to work with Kev and get to know him. It's still a weird feeling knowing that he's gone and we'll never see him on here again. He was a great guy

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah. I don't mean to go all OT here, but I was an admin during the Atlanta/Winnipeg transition, so I had lots of opportunities to work with Kev and get to know him. It's still a weird feeling knowing that he's gone and we'll never see him on here again. He was a great guy

I don't mean to sound ignorant but I don't know the story behind Kevfist. If you wouldn't mind enlightening me.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I don't mean to sound ignorant but I don't know the story behind Kevfist. If you wouldn't mind enlightening me.

He was a Thrashers mod before they relocated, then he moved to being a Predators fan and was a mod for the main board and other areas of the site.

He passed away during the last week after getting seriously ill the week before.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
He was a Thrashers mod before they relocated, then he moved to being a Predators fan and was a mod for the main board and other areas of the site.

He passed away during the last week after getting seriously ill the week before.

Yikes that's insane

Was he an older guy? That's really sudden

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=435002

If new Reds manager Bryan Price moves closer Aroldis Chapman into the starting rotation as has been rumoured, maybe Anthopoulos can offer some of the Blue Jays' bullpen depth and a prospect or two for Phillips. But as a cautionary note, Phillips will be 33 next season and is owed $50 million on his contract over the next four years.

2 prosects and a reliever for Phillips?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=435002

If new Reds manager Bryan Price moves closer Aroldis Chapman into the starting rotation as has been rumoured, maybe Anthopoulos can offer some of the Blue Jays' bullpen depth and a prospect or two for Phillips. But as a cautionary note, Phillips will be 33 next season and is owed $50 million on his contract over the next four years.

2 prosects and a reliever for Phillips?

Nope, not even slightly interested.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Nope, not even slightly interested.

I'd say it depends on the reliever and the prospects but for the most part I'm with you for salary reasons alone. I doubt Cinci is willing to eat any of the salary so I'd be much less inclined. Catcher and starters first then they can worry about 2b because I'm more than happy to go into the season with Goins at this point if the other holes are addressed.

DatsyukianDeke*

Catcher should be our #1 priority along with pitching. Goins can play 2B for now as long as we get better at the other positions stated.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Not sure if posted, but Nov. 1, there may be,according to Joel Sherman of NY Post, changes to posting process giving player more control over future. He may choose between top 3 highest bidders to give them exclusive rights. This could well hurt the Jays.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/26/changes-coming-to-mlb-bids-for-japan-players/

There had been speculation the system would undergo radical changes, with perhaps even the teams with the three highest posting bids all gaining the rights to negotiate with the players. I have been told there will be alterations in the process, but still only one team will win the post and have exclusive negotiating rights.
It is possible, as a way to give the player more power to chose his destination, he might get to pick a singular team from, say, the top two or three bidders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad