Speculation: Diaz close to signing an x-term contract!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
the thing is the build-through-the-draft approach has to be augmented with positive player swapping. I don't see where taking mediocre players and committing even more resources and time to them helps the team get better. Especially when the timing of the signings is such that everyone is hitting free agency at nearly the same time, it causes the payroll to bulge and takes away the ability to make improvements in other areas. Now we have this high priced defensive corps with no ability to improve at forward. Nothing against Diaz but this is the time for a young player to step into his spot.

What player do you see stepping into the top PK pair and playing 20+ minutes a game?

The young guys have looked from solid to struggling playing #6 minutes. People forget that Beaulieu is still only 20, Tinordi has barely more than 1 pro year under his belt and Nygren is a rookie to NA hockey. Let them develop AHL and once they are ready they'll knock down doors for a spot and room will be made for them.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Have we not learned with Gorges, Desharnais and Moen contracts? Or do we have to keep repeating the same stupid mistakes?

You don't sign ****** depth players beyond 2 seasons.. they are not part of the core, they do not get extended in season and they don't get long term deals. It's rather ****ing simple, actually.

If you're only willing to sign depth guys for 2 years, you either end up with ridiculous overpayment or those players leave and then your depth players suck.

Every GM has signed guys to extensions in the cap world and had the player struggle afterwards and the deal looked bad, it's part of the business, do you stop signing players because of it?

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I'm not sure if I want Diaz with the Habs long term.

He was good at the beginning of the season last year now he's just not the same anymore.

I think he still have the scene of Eller being destoyed in his head.

When he has the puck, he looks so stressed with it and wants to get rid of it asap. He used to be poised and collected with the puck. Now he plays like Gorges. His first pass is not good and he even can't hit the net anymore.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You have 3 young D very close to full time or at least part time employment in Montreal. This deal makes ZERO sense. Bergevin, if he does this, is as big an idiot as The last two idiots.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
People don't seem to realize how quickly teams change and locking yourself up with a mediocre player for 3 more years is a bad idea.

Couldn't they have strived to obtained an outcome on Subban and Markov, and only then initiate discussions with Diaz? Basically, try to buy the horses first, then the cart. Don't get why a third pairing D is being negotiated at this stage.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
That's what many thought with DD as well.

Many didn't think he would start the year with 1 assist in 18 games either.

You can say every non ELC contract on the roster will look bad if that player falls flat on their face.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If you're only willing to sign depth guys for 2 years, you either end up with ridiculous overpayment or those players leave and then your depth players suck.

Every GM has signed guys to extensions in the cap world and had the player struggle afterwards and the deal looked bad, it's part of the business, do you stop signing players because of it?

I stop signing garbage players to long term contracts, yes. There is absolutely no reason to rush to sign these guys to long term deals. I can **** out a better defenseman than Diaz. This guy has no redeeming qualities and for being an OFD, a lot of plays die on his stick. He doesn't push the transition game very well either since he's never in a good position, when, well, IF, he wins a puck battle.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Things I've learned on HFBoard:

1-More than 2 years is long term. Especially if the player is older. Markov signing for 3 years would be crazy long term, like eternity.

2-Replace any long term contract with unproven rookies and you'll do better

:laugh:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Diaz has not been the same since his concussion.. couldnt we get a grittier D to replace him.. alternate Beaulieu and Tinordi in the lineup slowly?

I'm not convinced we could get a softer D than Diaz.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

1-More than 2 years is long term. Especially if the player is older. Markov signing for 3 years would be crazy long term, like eternity.

Why are you surprised ? It's Hockey's Future....

It's wishfull thinking to think that 3 rookies will make the club at the same time. We are contending for playoffs (at the very least), not for a lottery pick!

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011

What's so funny?

More than two years is pushing it but I would say anything over three is long term, and this is in hockey terminology which is different. A player's career is about 15 years give or take, we're not talking about the average life span of a human being here. And with league parity and results fluctuation year to year, you have to re-evaluate constantly. 3 years can be a long time should Diaz not live up to his contract.

And in some cases (not most) there are legitimate reasons for replacing aging vets with unproven rookies. Short term loss for long term gain, ever heard that?

Halifaxhab*

Signing mediocre players for long term contracts is idiotic, that's the problem. ****ing sign the important players before throwing ridiculous money at replacable players. Wow, I'm getting desperate with this team. Seems like we're going to be stuck with laughable contracts, again... Didn't they learn anything?

So, now you know what his contract will be? And it's laughable? Let me in on the joke so I know what we are laughing at.

Nothing has been signed yet. So why is everyone's panties in a knot?

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
I think it's more people look at the dollar figure and don't realize the cap will likely be 90-100 million by the time Emelin is on the last year of his contract. Even when the cap is that high people will be complaining that a 3 mil cap hit hurts us as much as when the cap was 40 mil.

This is something i've noticed as well. It's as if people dont actually research and/or reconsider their own opinions. Like they just get one on a summer day and run away with it without ever asking themselves "is my opinion still right/relevant?".

8 years ago, 3mx3years for Diaz would've been a gross over payment... Nowadays, its not much of anything at all. 3M is like... 5% of the available space.

Last edited:

Moves Like Jagr

Oct 20, 2011
Kitchener
For $3 million per I'm happy with that. I know everyone wants these 6'5 230 lbs dmen that hit, clear the crease, have an amazing first pass and an accurate 100mph shot and scoff at guys like Diaz but thats no reason to cast him aside and lose him for nothing. He can always be dealt for help in other areas.

This situation reminds me of Mark Streit all over again. He wanted to sign a reasonable deal with us and we just let him go. Everyone wanted him gone and cried when he turned it on with the isles.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
For $3 million per I'm happy with that. I know everyone wants these 6'5 230 lbs dmen that hit, clear the crease, have an amazing first pass and an accurate 100mph shot and scoff at guys like Diaz but thats no reason to cast him aside and lose him for nothing. He can always be dealt for help in other areas.

This situation reminds me of Mark Streit all over again. He wanted to sign a reasonable deal with us and we just let him go. Everyone wanted him gone and cried when he turned it on with the isles.

His best season was as a Canadien, if anything he started to decline as soon as he became an Isle. Diaz has absolutely nothing on Streit, and never will.

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal

Streit had a stellar season with us though (before crapping on us in the playoffs). Diaz proved nothing yet apart from his good half season. This season so far, he has been very average and frustrating at time.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

Diaz hopes he could be as good as Streit. Much different caliber of player.

Halifaxhab*

I'm not convinced we could get a softer D than Diaz.

MAB

What's so funny?

More than two years is pushing it but I would say anything over three is long term, and this is in hockey terminology which is different. A player's career is about 15 years give or take, we're not talking about the average life span of a human being here.

And in some cases (not most) there are legitimate reasons for replacing aging vets with unproven rookies. Short term loss for long term gain, ever heard that?

4 years (to me) is long term. Diaz is 27.

IMHO a good Contract for him would be 3yrs @ 2.75M AAV

Moves Like Jagr

Oct 20, 2011
Kitchener
Streit had a stellar season with us though (before crapping on us in the playoffs). Diaz proved nothing yet apart from his good half season. This season so far, he has been very average and frustrating at time.

I'm not saying Diaz will be as good as Streit was but he was looking like Streit lite last season along side Markov on the power play before Subban signed so I have faith this guy can become of value to us. He hasn't looked good since coming back from the concussion but I think he can and will rebound. I'm not a huge fan of Diaz either I'm lukewarm to him. And Streit played Damn well for the isles considering their roster. Streit put up huge points thanks to Markov with the isles didn't have.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Streit had 13 goals and 62 points his last season in Montreal. He played on a stellar 1st unit PP.

Diaz is on pace for 0 goals and 30 assists. He plays on a porous second unit PP.

Comparing them is laughable.

dreamingofdrouin*

It was said that Diaz is looking for 3m$, nothing about the lenght. Gaston was just reporting what we already knew from Swisshab. Diaz under 3M$ is pretty neat as a stop gap and then a trade asset.

agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad