Speculation: Diaz close to signing an x-term contract!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I expect something between 2 - 2.5M per season, anything more would be overpayment..
These are the guys who signed for 2-2.5M as UFAs:
33 yrs Jordan Leopold 15:45, 2 points, +1
35 yrs Cory Sarich 17:56, 4 points, +7
32 yrs Ron Hainsey 20:21, 4 points, -5
30 yrs Shane O'Brien 10:16, 2 points, -2
33 yrs John Erskine 16:54, 1 point, -4

28 yrs Diaz 20:58, 7 points, +3

It doesn't tell us everything, but I think it's clear that Diaz is in a class above these guys and should get 2.75-3.5, somewhere in that range. I'd love it a 3M per, but wouldn't fret with 3.25.
**** this.

I guess the goal is to have the most expensive, mediocre and soft defence corps in the league.
Off the top of my head, since Bergy got here, these are the Dmen that he has signed: Drewiske, Bouillon, Murray and Emelin.
Expensive? Not really
Mediocre? If Murray, Bouillon, Drewiske is your 6-7-8, as it should be, I think that's pretty good.
Soft? Heck no! He's clearly addressing the size and toughness issues as we go here.

NewHabsEra*

negative, his range is between 3-3.5m and even 3.5-4m would be acceptable (altho i wouldnt like it, thats UFA $$)

Diaz isnt a legitimate top 4 defenseman in this league, there is no way this guy deserves such money, ridiculous!

I would rather trade him at the deadline if we arent in good posture to make the playoffs or let him walk and replace him with a kid than overpaying for Rafael Diaz..

Last edited by a moderator:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
like it or not, guys that can move the puck get paid.

In puckmoving I'd rank Diaz behind Subban and Markov for sure, and maybe even behind Emelin. In most skills other than puckmoving Diaz ranges from mediocre to poor. Problem with paying Emelin and Diaz is when it comes to Subby and Markov, where our real skill lies, is there enough money left? We may spend close to $30M on D.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Have you guys heard on AC that Diaz was close to signing a contract worth more the 3 millions per for 3 years? :shakehead.... IF MB signs Diaz to that kind of money then I have lost faith in him to bring us to the promise land!

Tying up this money on petty players adds up. A little bit on Diaz, little on Desharnais. Habs could call up a guy and sign star player for same amount of cap. For difference between a Diaz or Pateryn or Tinordi isn't that much to the team. They're all bottom pairing defensemen.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
We need to be realistic here as fans. Montreal is the anti-destination in the NHL. All the negatives of being harassed by the media/fans combined with the negatives of making less money than every other city in the league. We have barely been a playoff team for the last 20 years and have driven every good player we've had out of town and have been attempting to do it to Price/Subban in the last few years. Then you add in the whole French thing and it complicates matters even more for players who have kids who need schooling/don't want to deal with racism. There's literally no positive about the team other than accomplishments in the past that would bring anyone here willingly for anything but a severe overpayment.

there's a great way to avoid this : never leave the house...

seriously, like there's no racism elsewhere in North America... :help:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
there's a great way to avoid this : never leave the house...

seriously, like there's no racism elsewhere in North America... :help:

English Quebecers who think they're persecuted in Quebec are quite whiney and deluded. They'd **** in their pants if they ever saw real discrimination.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
English Quebecers who think they're persecuted in Quebec are quite whiney and deluded. They'd **** in their pants if they ever saw real discrimination.

pretty much, but hey, you know how it is huh... the guy goes into a restaurant, and the waiter greets him with a "bonjour"... muther ****ing racist!!!!

:sarcasm:

Halifaxhab*

What's with the hate on Diaz? Because he doesn't throw bone crushing hits? He's a solid choice on a 2nd wave PP, he plays avg defense. finding a #4-5 dman like him isn't as easy as many think.

MB is putting together a team that has elements of size and physicality that can be paired with some speed and skill.

Think of the old original Nintendo game Ice Hockey. You have the big slow bruiser, the medium ok speed general purpous guy and then the skinny little speedster. you need one of each to have a winning team. the same as todays NHL

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm not really troubled by the term or money but why does MB always seem to jump the gun on these signings? What's the rush?

What if Nygren shows he's ready before the year's up? You also have Beaulieu and Tinordi who are no more than a year away from making it.

I don't want to be alarmist but how the hell are we going to sign PK especially if we want to sign Markov as well? Is Markov going to take a significant pay cut? Or does he have it on good info that PK won't want to break the bank? Maybe he wants to trade PK.

It all seems very odd.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
What's with the hate on Diaz? Because he doesn't throw bone crushing hits? He's a solid choice on a 2nd wave PP, he plays avg defense. finding a #4-5 dman like him isn't as easy as many think.

MB is putting together a team that has elements of size and physicality that can be paired with some speed and skill.

Think of the old original Nintendo game Ice Hockey. You have the big slow bruiser, the medium ok speed general purpous guy and then the skinny little speedster. you need one of each to have a winning team. the same as todays NHL

Signing mediocre players for long term contracts is idiotic, that's the problem. ****ing sign the important players before throwing ridiculous money at replacable players. Wow, I'm getting desperate with this team. Seems like we're going to be stuck with laughable contracts, again... Didn't they learn anything?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
sigh.jpg

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
If it is 3m per than it's not so bad...

I said in another thread that I expected Diaz to be sign for 3M per and we will still have place in the cap to sign Subban and Markov.

First of all, I expect the salary cap to be 68,000,000 next year.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m)/ Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Michael Bournival ($0.870m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($4.500) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Daniel Briere ($4.000m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($1.000m) / UFA Hitting/Fighting guy ($0.600$)
Christian Thomas ($0.808333) /

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.000m) / P.K. Subban ($7.000m)
Alexei Emelin ($4.100m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Raphael Diaz ($3.000m) / Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.638m) or another Veteran D/ Nathan Beaulieu ($1.275m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $68,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,952,000; BONUSES: $3,257,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): 1,048,000

Signs:

White for 1 year (1M)
Markov for 3 years (6, 5, 4 for 5 M per)
Diaz for 3 years (2.5, 3.0, 3.5 for 3 per year)
Eller for 6 years (same contract as Pacioretty: 4,4,4,5,5,5 for 4.5 per year)
Subban for 8 years (same contract as Doughty: 6,6.5, 6.7, 7, 7.1, 7.45, 7.6, 7.65 for 7M per)

Let go: Parros, Gionta, Bouillon, Murray, Desharnais (That will be a tough one, but we can buying out too for 1,166,667$, biggest Bergevin mistake in hindsight)

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
These are the guys who signed for 2-2.5M as UFAs:
33 yrs Jordan Leopold 15:45, 2 points, +1
35 yrs Cory Sarich 17:56, 4 points, +7
32 yrs Ron Hainsey 20:21, 4 points, -5
30 yrs Shane O'Brien 10:16, 2 points, -2
33 yrs John Erskine 16:54, 1 point, -4

28 yrs Diaz 20:58, 7 points, +3

It doesn't tell us everything, but I think it's clear that Diaz is in a class above these guys and should get 2.75-3.5, somewhere in that range. I'd love it a 3M per, but wouldn't fret with 3.25.

Off the top of my head, since Bergy got here, these are the Dmen that he has signed: Drewiske, Bouillon, Murray and Emelin.
Expensive? Not really
Mediocre? If Murray, Bouillon, Drewiske is your 6-7-8, as it should be, I think that's pretty good.
Soft? Heck no! He's clearly addressing the size and toughness issues as we go here.

Also, a lot of the guys listed like Hainsey and Leopold signed last summer when teams were in a big cap crunch. As contracts expire and the cap goes up you won't get many of those bargain basement signings. Usually a guy like Hainsey would have gotten 2-3 years at 3-4 mil as a UFA.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
If I knew for sure that Bouillon wouldn't be back next season I would feel slightly better about this.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Why not wait and give that kind of money to a defenseman like Matt Greene in FA?

Matt Greene can't stay in the lineup. Since their cup run he's played 20 games and last year played 15:17 a game, this year 16:52, not a guy I'd want to invest a big contract on. Plus with Emelin Murray and Tinordi with Pateryn AHL we have lots of guys like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad