Speculation: Diaz close to signing an x-term contract!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcontractor*

Again, this is the NHL where trades are allowed. If your young guys jump up and show they are ready you make a move to open up a spot. Quality NHL defensemen are usually in demand.

You have no clue what you're talking about saying Diaz sucks in his own end. Do you actually watch games?

He's right and he does suck in his own end. He plays on the end of his stick and breaks when racing with the puck so he doesn't get hit. He's softer than Charmin toilet paper. We don't spend most of the games in our own end because we have good D. they're horrible except for Markov, Subban, and Emelin. Diaz is average at best.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
We need to be realistic here as fans. Montreal is the anti-destination in the NHL. All the negatives of being harassed by the media/fans combined with the negatives of making less money than every other city in the league. We have barely been a playoff team for the last 20 years and have driven every good player we've had out of town and have been attempting to do it to Price/Subban in the last few years. Then you add in the whole French thing and it complicates matters even more for players who have kids who need schooling/don't want to deal with racism. There's literally no positive about the team other than accomplishments in the past that would bring anyone here willingly for anything but a severe overpayment.
Yeah, and the Yankees are a bad destination in the MLB because of expectations... same with the Real Madrid, no one wants to play there. Too much pressure.

Seriously.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I will be seriously pissed off if we sign this guy long term...Especially for $3m a year. Is Bergevin nuts? I can't believe there are people on this forum supporting a signing like this.

Diaz is a mediocre d-man. I maintain he would not be on any other NHL team, let alone a cup contender. I seriously see nothing overly positive about this player at all. There's no reason you NEED to have him in the lineup. Yes, he makes simple plays and doesn't make many errors. But that isn't worth $3m a year if you aren't bringing anything else. Especially considering the glaring and alarming deficiencies this d-corps has.

All this tells me is that Bergevin isn't willing to make any moves to improve the defence. It means he doesn't feel he can sign anyone either. It means he doesn't have confidence in our young d-men and doesn't expect them to make it into the lineup anytime soon.

That, or he is planning to let Markov walk, or move Subban.

Knowing that moron, it's probably both.

The best moves to be made to improve the defense is to re-sign Diaz, Subban and Markov and develop guys like Nygren Tinordi Beaulieu and Pateryn.

Where do you see glaring deficiencies on defense? Other than the 3rd pair which struggled at times, the top 4 has been very good.

So far this year the defense and goaltending has been there, it's the forwards that are the issue. Too many guys disapearing for long periods or being hurt(DD Prust Briere Eller and Pacioretty).

AGAIN...what the heck is wrong with having a veteran defenseman to trade because a young player steps up and takes a spot? You trade him for a high pick or a pick and a prospect...how is that a bad thing? Rivet got us Gorges and Pacioretty.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I dislike Diaz, but I think his biggest problem right now is he's not on the right team. You can't play him with guys like Bouillon or Gorges and expect things to go well.

He needs a much, much faster Murray (fast physical defensive dman) besides him to take care of the front of the net and cover him.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If Markov or Subban walk/are moved it won't be because they don't have the cap space.

If we run out of cap space it's Briere, Desharnais, Bourque, Moen that will be candidates to move.

If it's so easy to trade Desharnais then why hasn't it happened yet? Briere has a NMC and has shown a willingness to use it in the past with Philly. Trading Bourque or Moen so that we can have Diaz makes us worse.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He's right and he does suck in his own end. He plays on the end of his stick and breaks when racing with the puck so he doesn't get hit. He's softer than Charmin toilet paper. We don't spend most of the games in our own end because we have good D. they're horrible except for Markov, Subban, and Emelin. Diaz is average at best.

1st-spending a game in your own end is usually because your forwards are not at the other end with the puck. NHL is a puck posession game unless you are Ottawa or Toronto playing rope-a-dope hoping your goalie steals you the game.

2-How many games have we spent most of the game in our own end? Two?
40 shots against twice in 19 games.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Bergevin's bottom up policy at work again. Lets lock down all the scrubs/lesser known players before we actually sign the good ones. Everything he does is backwards.

I've never seen a GM annoy me this quickly.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The best moves to be made to improve the defense is to re-sign Diaz, Subban and Markov and develop guys like Nygren Tinordi Beaulieu and Pateryn.

Where do you see glaring deficiencies on defense? Other than the 3rd pair which struggled at times, the top 4 has been very good.

So far this year the defense and goaltending has been there, it's the forwards that are the issue. Too many guys disapearing for long periods or being hurt(DD Prust Briere Eller and Pacioretty).

AGAIN...what the heck is wrong with having a veteran defenseman to trade because a young player steps up and takes a spot? You trade him for a high pick or a pick and a prospect...how is that a bad thing? Rivet got us Gorges and Pacioretty.

OK. Let me get this straight.
The top-4 on D is doing great (according to you), and it's obvious to anyone Price is stellar, and on pace to have his best year so far.

So

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If it's so easy to trade Desharnais then why hasn't it happened yet? Briere has a NMC and has shown a willingness to use it in the past with Philly. Trading Bourque or Moen so that we can have Diaz makes us worse.

This season half the NHL is up against the cap so it's hard to make deals. Look no further than the Verstieg trade where Florida had to eat half his contract.

Briere's kids live near Phillie so I doubt he's complain about getting traded to a team near there(NYI NYR Phi Was Pit etc) if we didn't have room for him.

If you don't see where Diaz is a bigger contributor than Moen or Bourque you can't be watching the Habs play.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I thought Bergevin was looking for players with character?

I guess our young D will keep playing in Hamilton for a while down the road...

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Can you believe once Diaz, Subban and Markov sign their deals Habs will be spending more money on defense then the St. Louis Blues, who arguably have the best d-unit in the league. And the Habs even though spending more money will still have the same crappy defense as they have now. I'm all for spending but at least have something to show for it.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

The top-4 on D is doing great (according to you), and it's obvious to anyone Price is stellar, and on pace to have his best year so far.

This team is struggling to keep a pace of .500 in a weak Eastern Conference. You're going to put all of this on a 3rd pairing that plays barely 15 minutes in average to explain that?

This is the problem with you. You glorify every player we have, refuse to point fingers, still, this team is doing mediocre.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Bergevin's bottom up policy at work again. Lets lock down all the scrubs/lesser known players before we actually sign the good ones. Everything he does is backwards.

I've never seen a GM annoy me this quickly.

Yup signing that crappy 4th liner Pacioretty for 6 years was a dumb move.

Do you seriously think MB can sign Subban and Markov this week but he's holding off so he can sign Diaz first?

Really?

No, really?

This fan base is so clueless about NHL hockey it boggles the mind.:shakehead

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

The defense on this team is horrible and I'm surprised you don't see it.

Subban and Markov are good.

Diaz, Gorges, Bouillon, Murray are NOT good. They are 5-6's on any other team, if they are even IN the lineup.

Emelin will help when he comes back but you are still missing a #4.

Nobody will take Diaz, please stop deluding yourself. Decent vet d-men will get you something in a trade. Players that are multi-faceted (even if it's just being able to throw a big hit or drop the gloves) are coveted in trades.

Small, soft puck movers that shy away from contact and do nothing else are not coveted by anyone. At $3m/yr signed multiple years they are unmovable contracts. You think Murray or Boullion would fetch anything in a trade?? They are "vet d-men" too.

I don't understand this random ass Diaz love.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

This team is struggling to keep a pace of .500 in a weak Eastern Conference. You're going to put all of this on a 3rd pairing that plays barely 15 minutes in average to explain that?

This is the problem with you. You glorify every player we have, refuse to point fingers, still, this team is doing mediocre.

Where did I "put that on the 3rd pair"?

Did you completely overlook the part where I said Prust Briere DD Eller Pacioretty being hurt or unproductive was the main issue?

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
It's a whole different ball game. A defenseman is more valuable. And DD was not a UFA and as such they could have taken their time to sign him, maybe give him one year and he would have said "thank you". I doubt Diaz's agent would say "thank you" of just one year. They'll say "we'll test the UFA market and get the money we want".

So be it. I'm one of the most conservative posters around here when it comes down to management decisions but this team is taking the Flyers route rapidly with this defense. Diaz has obviously regressed this year : soft on the boards, looks scared, handles the puck too long before passing it, can't find shooting lanes on the powerplay or anytime. I fail to see what Diaz brings to this team and I can't see how signing him will give him any value at all. When you have Subban and Markov to sign with Gorges at 3,9M$ and Emelin at 4,1M$ you need to cut some salary somewhere. If Bergevin signs him long term we better hope Diaz regains form.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
I thought Bergevin was looking for players with character?

I guess our young D will keep playing in Hamilton for a while down the road...

And that's the worst. They've been teasing Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn only to sign depth players like Diaz. Montreal has good depth in Hamilton - size, offense and steadiness - that could come cheap. Heck that's what winning teams do.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
And that's the worst. They've been teasing Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn only to sign depth players like Diaz. Montreal has good depth in Hamilton - size, offense and steadiness - that could come cheap. Heck that's what winning teams do.

Do you think the Blackhawks are pissed that they lost Stanton to keep Brookbank? No. Players like Pateryn (and Stanton) are a dime a dozen. I'd rather have Tinordi and Beaulieu earn their spots than be inserted in the line-up because of where they went in the draft.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The defense on this team is horrible and I'm surprised you don't see it.

Subban and Markov are good.

Diaz, Gorges, Bouillon, Murray are NOT good. They are 5-6's on any other team, if they are even IN the lineup.

Emelin will help when he comes back but you are still missing a #4.

Nobody will take Diaz, please stop deluding yourself. Decent vet d-men will get you something in a trade. Players that are multi-faceted (even if it's just being able to throw a big hit or drop the gloves) are coveted in trades.

Small, soft puck movers that shy away from contact and do nothing else are not coveted by anyone. At $3m/yr signed multiple years they are unmovable contracts. You think Murray or Boullion would fetch anything in a trade?? They are "vet d-men" too.

I don't understand this random ass Diaz love.

You have a warped sense of reality. Must be HF boards-itis where the size of the player magically clouds a poster's judgment.

Diaz and Gorges are both playing 20+ minutes a night(#3 and 4 minutes) and are + players 5 on 5. They also play a big role in the PK , the top guys for TOI for a PK that's allowed 4 goals against the last 4 weeks. 6th overall in the NHL. Diaz the last 2 years has 42 GP 21 points(10 PP) +7 playing 20:45 a game on top of being a key piece on PK.

I think at the deadline guys like Murray would get you back a pick. Murray got San Jose 2 2nd rounders last year.

Last edited:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Well the one good thing is that when the young player's ELC contracts expire they will be getting very low bridge deals since they haven't had the chance to even prove themselves. So that will be good for the cap.

Just on a side note, while it sucks to be mediocre these things do take time and while I really would love to see the young d get a chance it could be best for their development to play a while in Hamilton. We're not going to be a contender overnight so it might be rough right now but if the team is a contender down the road it will be worth it since really the team isnt doing anything different than we're used to. Tehy've been a bubble team with a chance to win a round for the past 10 years, what's another couple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad