Rumor: Dhaliwal: Canucks interested in Alexis Lafrenière

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
won't be for a rental,
can't be for near-term Cap Hit, NYR have another challenging offseason re extensions

a young, upside guy to take Laf's minutes, like Podkolzin
plus significantly more - 2nd and Hoglander? maybe padded by some longer shots such as Dorrington/Kunz/Gardner/Lockhart
depending on package, NYR add back from pro or pipeline depth

this a Canadian born/developed, recent consensus #1, whose team is NOT shopping him,
the package would need to be very very tempting
The thing is that you are probably keeping Laf then and also keep blocking him with Bread and Kreider.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The thing is that you are probably keeping Laf then and also keep blocking him with Bread and Kreider.
NYR have been ridiculously healthy (relative to much of NHL) last few seasons, that can change in an eyeblink

also, the way they play, i've always believed 2 of Bread/Kreids/Laf could succeed on same line;
but with Kravtsov looking more comfortable and effective game by game,
I don't mind Laf w Chytil, + as third line for a while

Reactions: smoneil

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Canucks interest in Alexis Lafrenière.​

Canucks interest in Alexis Lafrenière.

The Canucks know this player inside out, Lafrenière's old agent is current Canucks assistant GM Emilie Castonguay.

The Canucks have checked in on Lafrenière, he was made a healthy scratch last week by the Rangers.

The Rangers are very ware of the Vancouver interest in Lafrenière.

Lafrenière will not be cheap but the Canucks have the assets like Bo Horvat to pull this off, if the Rangers decide to move him.

Lafrenière is the type of player the new regime in Vancouver is looking for.

Before he was traded to Montreal, the Canucks were also one of the teams after Blackhawks forward Kirby Dach.

Lafreniere and Dach are the type of young players the Canucks are looking for.

The Vancouver press is in perpetual leak mode for player agents and Vancouver’s GM… it’s hilarious for a team that rarely actually makes any major trades and the ones they do turn into such debacles.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yes but Kreid is here going forward foreseeable future.
Bread is 111% outta here 3 more seasons AT MOST.

bread slot will open up
not immediately
but not last min either

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

bread slot will open up
not immediately
but not last min either

bread slot will open up
not immediately
but not last min either
And what you expect Laf to wait another 3 years before getting his shot?

IMO. He'll take a 1 year 4M OSheet, places him at 2nd rd pick value. Puts NYR in a position where they can't sign him and bingo he's heading somewhere else

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

IMO. He'll take a 1 year 4M OSheet, places him at 2nd rd pick value. Puts NYR in a position where they can't sign him and bingo he's heading somewhere else
This would be funny but my Canucks have already blown all of their play money and are now basically forced to trade Horvat.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
This would be funny but my Canucks have already blown all of their play money and are now basically forced to trade Horvat.
Lots of team have nore than enough cap space.

Habs have 20M$ free next year, I could see them pulling the move. Or offering the NYR and 2nd + B prospect like Tuck or Mysak and tell hem "its that or the OS"

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Canucks leak everything to try and get GMs talking. As a Ranger fan there is nothing I really want on the Canucks.
Well this just isn't true at all.
Dhaliwal like every media person in Vancouver gets nothing from the team, this has been going on for years and is one of the reasons they tend to shit on the team. Dhaliwal has connections with a few agents but that's as far as it goes.

I wont go too far back but this same guy said Edler was gone two hours before he was re-signed, and if you look at every re- signing a d trade over the last while they all went unreported

The. Only ploy ive seen is JR stating UFAs upcoming like Horvat and JT, are made available with a caveat that there is an extremely high price but the first goal is to extend them.

we saw it with JT and unless someone ridiculously overpays for Horvat, my moneys on the same thing happening.

Its pretty simple, both guys prefer to stay so theres no real internal deadline so why not draw it out in hopes of robbing someone.

this guy literally said a day before JT signed that they werent even talking when in reality JT asked to wait until after his kid was born and signed pretty much right after that.

as for this rumor, if true its far more likely a swap of struggling younger guys or perhaps a gut like Garland or Brock with the Nucks taking back a contract with less term.

You non Vancouver folks really need to stop assuming you know how things go here much like we have no clue about your market.

If Horvat is gonna be traded, one can safely assume that given the high price being asked an extension would have too be included otherwise it makes no sense.
Alvin is a pretty shit GM but with owners being directly involved in any Horvat move, trading a guy who's become a 1c the last season and a half once finally given some skill on his wing, will cost more than a high 1st and a prospect that won't be a blue chipper.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
when a guy like Dhaliwal tweets canuck interest in a player, 90% of the time, its the player's agent giving him the go ahead to make this a talking point. If the agent is taking this step, the player is no longer worried about his standing in his current organisation, as everyone in the hockey world knows, the agent ultimately needs the player's blessing. Drury may not be interested in moving Laf, but Laf is.

Laf is an RFA this summer and the Rangers are in a cap crunch with very few bad/moveable contracts. If he wants out, why would he not just wait six months and pick his location?

NYR have been ridiculously healthy (relative to much of NHL) last few seasons, that can change in an eyeblink

also, the way they play, i've always believed 2 of Bread/Kreids/Laf could succeed on same line;
but with Kravtsov looking more comfortable and effective game by game,
I don't mind Laf w Chytil, + as third line for a while

I see Kreider as a literal ideal LW for Chytil, so I would love to see Laf up with Zib and Kakko, and put Kreider with Chytil for ES. But that would apparently ruin the bromance btw Zib and Kreider, haha.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

4M wouldn't do it. They'd be able to free up that amount (barely probably by moving Goodrow and bridging both Chytil and Miller). If it gets into 5.5 to 6m, then I just don't see how they make it work.

Lots of team have nore than enough cap space.

Habs have 20M$ free next year, I could see them pulling the move. Or offering the NYR and 2nd + B prospect like Tuck or Mysak and tell hem "its that or the OS"

That doesn't really work either. The moment they threatened an offer sheet, Drury would be on the phone and moving him somewhere for a 1st rounder in 15 minutes. Montreal either goes OS or they go home unhappy. An offer sheet COULD work, but it would be at least in the 1st rounder compensation area.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Last year, according to these boards, Filip Chytil was worthless, Kakko (after the playoff scratch) was on his way out for a 2nd rounder, and now Laf is a bust.

Some food for thought--with almost NO power play time, these three guys are:

Chytil--on pace for ~50 points/82 games (nearly ALL even strength). Guys who put up even strength production in that neighborhood last year? Pasta, Tage Thompson, Seb Aho, Mika Zibanejad.

Kakko is on pace for ~37 points, but he has 9 in his last 15, so he's trending in the right direction.

Laf, before the scratch, had scored 8 points in his last 15, and was scratched as the scapegoat for a full roster that played like crap coming out of the Christmas break.

These kids are (respectively), 23 years old, 22 (soon) years old, and 21 years old. They are on a team where they are getting NO opportunities on special teams. That will slow development and (IMO) f*** with their confidence. By the standard of most high draft picks (who get top line minutes in all situations), they are slow in their development. For kids mostly buried, playing for a coach who doesn't see it as his job to "develop players"? They are doing fine.

Neither Laf, Chytil, nor Kakko are for sale. But can I interest you in a slightly used Gerard Gallant? :)

At some point the rest of the league is going to have to come to terms with the fact that regardless of what Laf is or was projected to be, we don't have to want to trade him to your team for peanuts or pieces we either don't need or can't afford.

If the rest of the league's fans are tired of reading Ranger fans defenses of Laf, then they should stop proposing trades for him.
First off how do you know Laf isn't for sale. Where's there's smoke there's usually fire.
Next this is a hockey board and we are in a trade thread. It's not the defending of Laf it's the overvaluing of Lafs trade value by some Ranger posters in which some are having a Laugh about just like some are having a laugh at the undervaluing Laf is getting. Then you have others who seem to have the value just about right but can't seem to fit the pieces together that both sides might agree with.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
4M wouldn't do it. They'd be able to free up that amount (barely probably by moving Goodrow and bridging both Chytil and Miller). If it gets into 5.5 to 6m, then I just don't see how they make it work.

That doesn't really work either. The moment they threatened an offer sheet, Drury would be on the phone and moving him somewhere for a 1st rounder in 15 minutes. Montreal either goes OS or they go home unhappy. An offer sheet COULD work, but it would be at least in the 1st rounder compensation area.
Again... Moving Goodrow would cost Rangers assets to do so as he's overpaid.

Drury can also call teams, which is fair, would he find a suitor? Not necessarily. oS would come on the table after the 2023 draft and therefore some team may bot want to trade their 1st not knowing where their 2024 1sts ends up.

An OS at 4.2 means NYR gets a 2nd and a 3rd, and they'd likely need to trade a 2nd to get rid of Goodrow... And the end of the day. Its a very risky business for them to do so.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
The Vancouver press is in perpetual leak mode for player agents and Vancouver’s GM… it’s hilarious for a team that rarely actually makes any major trades and the ones they do turn into such debacles.
Our team sucks and we need something to talk about besides that, hardly leak mode, no different that any other team in a market like this.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
First off how do you know Laf isn't for sale. Where's there's smoke there's usually fire.
Next this is a hockey board and we are in a trade thread. It's not the defending of Laf it's the overvaluing of Lafs trade value by some Ranger posters in which some are having a Laugh about just like some are having a laugh at the undervaluing Laf is getting. Then you have others who seem to have the value just about right but can't seem to fit the pieces together that both sides might agree with.

I know Laf isn't for sale because I possess common sense. A team that has had exactly ONE 1st OA draft pick in 55+ years isn't going to give up early on him because he's had some (highly exaggerated) struggles. Where there is smoke, there is also the possibility of potheads talking about ridiculous bullshit. I think that's more likely than the "fire" you see on this topic.

You are right. This IS a discussion board. But discussion implies a give and take. 99.9% of Rangers fans aren't looking to move Laf. 99.9% of other teams' fans aren't interested in trading anything of real value for Laf. Ergo, there is no discussion here.

What this is is a group of people who simultaneously insist that Laf is awful, yet still get pissed off at Rangers fans that we don't want to trade him to your favorite team for a 4th round draft pick and your worst contract. Even the fans who ARE offering value are doing so completely oblivious to either the Rangers needs or their cap situation. And it is roughly the umpteenth thread of this type this year.

If you saw thread after thread that looked like this:

Fans of other team: "We want Lafreniere!"

Rangers Fans: "Naw, we're not giving up on him yet."

FoOT: "But we WANT HIM."

RF: "We wouldn't trade him for anything less than XYZ."

FoOT: "WHAT?! But he sucks!! Don't you know that he sucks!?"

RF: "Then why did you propose trading for him?"

FoOT: "Because he's a possible reclamation project, and that's worth a 2nd round pick and a Z prospect."

RF: "For that return, we'll just keep him as our own project and see how it goes."

FoOT: "If you won't trade him to us for bargain basement value, they you aren't discussing. Don't you know this is a discussion board!?"

You'd go bonkers as well. Yes. This is a discussion board. Laf is not available for anything barring (by our definition) a drastic overpayment that makes sense for the construction and cap situation of our team. Discuss away.

Reactions: bernmeister

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Every team in the NHL should be interested as this is NOT a Yakupov situation.

How isn't it close to that? Pt totals through early seasons are about the same and when you watch Lafreniere play, there is never anything that makes you jump out and notice him. He easily can be the next Yakupov. To me, this doesn't necessarily seem like he needs more ice time to produce, it seems like he may just be a 30-40 pt player.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Interest could mean anything. It could be a phone call and a polite no thank you.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Again... Moving Goodrow would cost Rangers assets to do so as he's overpaid.

Drury can also call teams, which is fair, would he find a suitor? Not necessarily. oS would come on the table after the 2023 draft and therefore some team may bot want to trade their 1st not knowing where their 2024 1sts ends up.

An OS at 4.2 means NYR gets a 2nd and a 3rd, and they'd likely need to trade a 2nd to get rid of Goodrow... And the end of the day. Its a very risky business for them to do so.

Goodrow is making 3.6 million for another 4 years. He's a C who is good on draws, a staple on the PK, has playoff experience (multi-Cup winner), and puts up respectable production (he's actually having a career year IRT points). He's paid pretty much at the right value for a middle six guy. To trade him without taking salary back, the Rangers wouldn't likely get much of anything in return, but they wouldn't need to add a sweetener either. Goodrow is exactly the kind of player teams look to add for Cup runs.

As I said, if Laf is wiling to sign and Montreal is willing to get on the bad side of Sather, I 100% think that they could poach him via offer sheet. But to think that the 4.2 level of return would do it (or to think that Sather would make it easy on you by voluntarily trading him to you for that pittance) is a pipe dream.

Reactions: bernmeister

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

No team will touch him with a top 11 lottery pick .
The true contenders would rather be getting someone to help their drive now.
So now that leave what other teams would be willing to offer up their 1st .

I could see the Rangers attaching the Stars 1st with Laf to see if any team would move their unprotect top 10 pick. I still don't see any takers.

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad