Player Discussion: Devon Toews

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
Hickey is good in the room and serviceable bottom 5/6 guy. Term is too long but depth is important so I’m glad he’s Around for now.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Given all the venom directed at LL at the time about the Komarov and Filppula signings, which happened on the same day as Hickey's, I think you can be forgiven for thinking it was a Garth move that came earlier. (Full disclosure, I didn't love the signing, particularly the term, but I didn't hate it either and I am not in the anti-Hickey camp).
How about all the Venom spilled at Garth Snow all these years?
And who drafted Toews?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This guy is a very good hockey player. As an organization it's these type of mid rd picks that can often be the difference of winning and losing. Been really impressed by Toews since his call up.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
This guy is a very good hockey player. As an organization it's these type of mid rd picks that can often be the difference of winning and losing. Been really impressed by Toews since his call up.
He’s been superb. Excellent outlet passer. Calm and cool under pressure. Great skater chipping in on the offensive end as he has good instincts. If it were up to me he would be the qb on the islanders first pp unit.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He’s been superb. Excellent outlet passer. Calm and cool under pressure. Great skater chipping in on the offensive end as he has good instincts. If it were up to me he would be the qb on the islanders first pp unit.

I think it's a fine idea. The only problem is where does one put Barzal? Do you put him in Bailey's spot on the RW side? Or in Eberle's spot in the slot/behind the net? Considering we need Eberle's threat to shoot from the slot, I think he'd need to go on the RW.

Lee
Pulock-Eberle-Barzal
Toews

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

He's becoming one of my favourite Isles players to watch. Very good instincts jumping into the attack also.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I honestly thought he was going to be another hyped up prospect that wouldn't be as good as we hoped, but boy have I been wrong
Exactly I was thinking another Matt Donovan...
But you only have to see Toews play a few times to realize the kid has the game. If this is the tip of the iceberg of his potential then I am very excited for his/Isles future.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
The 1st power play should be Pulock, Toews, Barzal, Lee, and Eberle. I don’t care how they set it up, but that gives us the best opportunity to score.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Exactly I was thinking another Matt Donovan...
But you only have to see Toews play a few times to realize the kid has the game. If this is the tip of the iceberg of his potential then I am very excited for his/Isles future.
Donovan looked real good in BP too. Sometimes these guys translate to the big time, other times they don't. The big difference between the two was that Donovan was gifted a spot on the lineup without fully proving himself and without any alternatives. Toews, OTOH, had to wait his turn, overripen and force his way into the lineup. While we may have gotten a bit impatient (he probably did too), that relatively short waiting period will be all but forgotten as this kid continues to get better and better.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
How about all the Venom spilled at Garth Snow all these years?
And who drafted Toews?

Snow made some good moves, but he had fatal flaws and the potential he drafted would never come to full fruition under his watch.

We can go to the lumber yard and pick out the nicest pieces of wood, but if we don't know how to build - they sit in a pile and nothing ever gets done.

Reactions: MJF

aisle18

Jul 5, 2009
What do you guys think Toews value on the market is right now, either in draft picks or forwards. I'm not anyway interested in moving him but would love to hear where you guys think he's at realistically. Would he be equal to a first, 2 firsts, top 6 F, 2c...like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad