Player Discussion: Devon Toews

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Whatever any of them think of Hickey, I think you'd have to kill Barry Trotz and most of the Islanders players to get Devon Toews out of the lineup at this point. He doesn't play like a rookie, he doesn't act like a rookie, and none of his teammates treat him like a rookie.

They can love Hickey all they want, but if Toews stays healthy, Hickey isn't pushing him out. Maybe Leddy can sit a game for a little perspective. One time, maybe.

Reactions: seafoam

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Whatever any of them think of Hickey, I think you'd have to kill Barry Trotz and most of the Islanders players to get Devon Toews out of the lineup at this point. He doesn't play like a rookie, he doesn't act like a rookie, and none of his teammates treat him like a rookie.

They can love Hickey all they want, but if Toews stays healthy, Hickey isn't pushing him out. Maybe Leddy can sit a game for a little perspective. One time, maybe.
I agree that Toews is a regular now. I was responding to penciling Hickey in as the #7 defenseman.

Reactions: dano16

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think people may be underestimating what Trotz/Lou think of Hickey. Opinions are nice, but they have to overcome the fact that on 7/1/18 they signed him to a 4 year, $10 million contract.
He’ll see the ice once he gets back. You can’t have a guy like Hickey be a healthy scratch every day. It’s just not good for team morale. But at this point though, you have to think that Pelech will be sacrificing some ice time as Toews has just been too good.

Also, it doesn’t seem like they are rushing Hickey back. Perhaps he has lingering symptoms or perhaps they are just slowing his rehab time for roster purposes. We’ll of course never truly know.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He’ll see the ice once he gets back. You can’t have a guy like Hickey be a healthy scratch every day. It’s just not good for team morale. But at this point though, you have to think that Pelech will be sacrificing some ice time as Toews has just been too good.

Also, it doesn’t seem like they are rushing Hickey back. Perhaps he has lingering symptoms or perhaps they are just slowing his rehab time for roster purposes. We’ll of course never truly know.
Then Pelech will initially be the healthy scratch, and hopefully part of a trade package down the road.

Devon Toews must not be sent back down. Adam Pelech's time as an Islander is on the clock.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I agree that Toews is a regular now. I was responding to penciling Hickey in as the #7 defenseman.

I agree with you. I think Hickey is another one of those guys people like because, whatever his limitations, he fights for his teammates. I think we're going to see some rotations with Hickey, Pelech, and maybe others rotated in and out of the lineup. The only two who are essential to play every game IMO at this point are Toews and Boychuk.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I agree with you. I think Hickey is another one of those guys people like because, whatever his limitations, he fights for his teammates. I think we're going to see some rotations with Hickey, Pelech, and maybe others rotated in and out of the lineup. The only two who are essential to play every game IMO at this point are Toews and Boychuk.
It sucks (in a good way) that we have too many starting Dmen in the short term. But, you blink, shit happens and you’re all of a sudden down 2 guys and you need them. So while it would be good to make a trade of sorts to avoid the uncomfortable situation of scratching Hickey or Pelech, I’m guessing it won’t happen. Having an issue of who to play is a good problem to have. It is a problem though.

Last edited:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It sucks (in a good way) that we have too many starting Dmen in the short term. But, you blink, **** happens and you’re all of a sudden down 2 guys and you need them. So while it would be good to make a trade of sorts to avoid the incomfortable situation of scratching Hickey or Pelech, I’m guessing it won’t happen. Having an issue of who to play is a good problem to have. It is a problem though.

I don't think it's even a problem. Not right now, anyway. In the offseason, maybe. But not now. If it comes down to it Sbisa will be waived. I don't think anyone loses sleep over that. (He could have been waived already. I dunno, anyone remember?)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Hickey (when healthy) and Pelech should platoon the third LD for now.

I’d like to see Aho get a look when he’s healthy again and a trade in the offseason to target someone like Jake Muzzin.

Muzzin/Toews/Aho (if he’s as good as I think he can be) would be a complete 100% upgrade on the LD they entered this season with (Leddy/Hickey/Pelech). I can see them keeping Hickey around for another season and have Aho/Wotherspoon start in BPT like they did with Toews this season, I was referring more to long term.

I know you are high on “P-Spoonz” and he could push for a bottom pairing spot at some point next season as well.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Toews is as good as advertisex. He makes mistakes like any rookie will, particfularly with his decision making in the defensive zone, but what he adds on offense, the PP and the overall transition game are noticeable and have been huge. He is absolutely a regular now and it is about time. Not goign to get overzealous but there is no doubt he ca be a long term top 4 Dman for this team.

Reactions: WangMustGo

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
It sucks (in a good way) that we have too many starting Dmen in the short term. But, you blink, **** happens and you’re all of a sudden down 2 guys and you need them. So while it would be good to make a trade of sorts to avoid the uncomfortable situation of scratching Hickey or Pelech, I’m guessing it won’t happen. Having an issue of who to play is a good problem to have. It is a problem though.
Quantity over quality. If we could package the Hick and Pelech for an established top pairing guy, we would be better off. There are other people waiting in the wings as it stands now, and the goal is for the team to get better.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Quantity over quality. If we could package the Hick and Pelech for an established top pairing guy, we would be better off. There are other people waiting in the wings as it stands now, and the goal is for the team to get better.
not sure why a team would trade a top4 dman for 2 bottom pairing guys...depth isnt a problem, unless it comes to the point where it is inhibiting filling another area of need, then why mess with it? I'd trade hickey for scraps if it freed up the money to sign panarin and duchene...

Reactions: PWJunior and dood

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Also soon they will be making room for AHO. Aho skates just as well if not better than toews. Carrying the puck from the D zone to the O zone arguably better than leddy and toews. That would be 3 weapons on the back end that can carry the puck and are super skaters. That's a nice threat.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Also soon they will be making room for AHO. Aho skates just as well if not better than toews. Carrying the puck from the D zone to the O zone arguably better than leddy and toews. That would be 3 weapons on the back end that can carry the puck and are super skaters. That's a nice threat.

nevermind

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Hard not to be impressed by this kid. Have to give some credit to the much-maligned BPT coaching staff as Toews has come up completely ready to step-in and contribute to the team.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Aho does not skate better then Leddy or Towes unless he improved his skating in one offseason. From what I’ve seen Leddy and Towes are better skaters.

Reactions: dano16

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Aho does not skate better then Leddy or Towes unless he improved his skating in one offseason. From what I’ve seen Leddy and Towes are better skaters.

Leddy is the fastest point A to point B defensemen on the team. Aho is slower than Leddy from point A to point B, but is quicker/more agile. Toews is a mix of the two I'd say.

Reactions: 1CupSince

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Leddy is the fastest point A to point B defensemen on the team. Aho is slower than Leddy from point A to point B, but is quicker/more agile. Toews is a mix of the two I'd say.

An LD group of Leddy, Toews, and Aho would be among the swiftest units in the NHL. Our current RD group is more brawn than speed. Dobson and Wilde would significantly improve the mobility on the right side without sacrificing size.

Reactions: 1CupSince

crasherino

May 9, 2013
An LD group of Leddy, Toews, and Aho would be among the swiftest units in the NHL. Our current RD group is more brawn than speed. Dobson and Wilde would significantly improve the mobility on the right side without sacrificing size.
Yeah - its a changing game where we don't need the crease clearing defenseman like we used to but that left side of Leddy/Toews/Aho is particularly scrawny. Toews seems like he can at least hold his own in front of the net (will never be confused with Chris Pronger) but I thought that Aho's biggest liability is getting manhandled down low. He needs to put on some strength to battle in the NHL. I'm sure it will come in time - he's still young - but at least last year he didn't seem too adept at the front of the net.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Toews won the fastest skater in the Ahl as well. Aho is a good skater just not as good as Leddy or Toews.

Reactions: beach

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If no one is doing the math he is on pace for 24 goals and a +56 over a full season . . .

:nod:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Agree, and re Hickey, most of the Hickey supporters on this board have been arguing that he is a bottom pair/7 D man all along. If he has been relied upon for playing a bigger role, that is because the Isles were lacking in D talent. As a 6/7 Hickey is fine, and Toews should certainly be slotted ahead of him (and many other D men) at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->