Player Discussion: Devon Toews

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
How is this guy not being talked about that much? He's a stud!

He's seasoned, mature (24), he can skate better than any other D man on the roster. He's big, plays big, plays physical. He can QB the power play, he can carry the puck end to end. Toews will be contending for the calder this year, 100% guaranteed! If he stays healthy he's a star!

The isles future on D is bright.
20-21
Leddy - Dobson
Toews - Pulock
Aho- Wilde

Sorokin / Sonderstorm

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

He's seasoned, mature (24), he can skate better than any other D man on the roster. He's big, plays big, plays physical. He can QB the power play, he can carry the puck end to end. Toews will be contending for the calder this year, 100% guaranteed! If he stays healthy he's a star!

20-21
Leddy - Dobson
Toews - Pulock
Aho- Wilde

Sorokin / Sonderstorm

This must be Devon a Toews account lol. He’s been talked about plenty but nothing about him at all screams “PP QB”, and he has zero chance of winning the Calder. A prospect like Dahlin already has a slim chance because you need huge point totals as a d-man to win, and a rookie d-man most likely won’t reach it.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
This must be Devon a Toews account lol. He’s been talked about plenty but nothing about him at all screams “PP QB”, and he has zero chance of winning the Calder. A prospect like Dahlin already has a slim chance because you need huge point totals as a d-man to win, and a rookie d-man most likely won’t reach it.

Toews put up huge numbers in the AHL, was an AHL All star.

Watch his assist from last nights game. He's absolutely a PP QB.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
Well if a rookie d-man can’t reach the Calder, I guarantee a veteran d-man can’t :sarcasm:

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Well if a rookie d-man can’t reach the Calder, I guarantee a veteran d-man can’t :sarcasm:

Pretty sure he meant that it would take an obscene point total to win the Calder and veteran dmen don't even put up enough points on a regular basis so it's hard to believe a rookie could.

I think we can all agree that if Devon Toews even gets 1 top 3 vote for the Calder it'd be a miracle.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Toews put up huge numbers in the AHL, was an AHL All star.

Watch his assist from last nights game. He's absolutely a PP QB.

He didn’t have “huge numbers” besides last year. He had 45 points in 76 games the year before and then 22 in 30 last year. Those are very good numbers, but it’s not like he was dominating and was the top offensive defenseman in terms of prospects. You can probably knock off at least 15 from that 45 if you want to extrapolate it to the NHL level.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I will just have to question his age. Turgeon JT were in this league at 18. Kaspairaites was around 19, 24 is mid career a lot of guys are out of the NHL by 30. It shouldn't take six years from.draft day to learn defense. When the ISLES had a real Gm and real coacg the defenseman were playing here by 19 20 21. Are the Ahl coaches that bad? Or the players just not that good? Will Toews be a rookie next year at 25 ?

Last edited:

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

20-21
Leddy - Dobson
Toews - Pulock
Aho- Wilde

Sorokin / Sonderstorm
sorry, i hope it doesn't sound like we are picking on you, but... Toews is not big. 6'1" and 191 lbs (NHL.com website). doesn't play big, IMO. adequate defensively, but certainly not 'physical'.

i agree, i think he looks good qb'ing the PP. love him and want to see more, but i don't see him contending for the Calder.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
sorry, i hope it doesn't sound like we are picking on you, but... Toews is not big. 6'1" and 191 lbs (NHL.com website). doesn't play big, IMO. adequate defensively, but certainly not 'physical'.

i agree, i think he looks good qb'ing the PP. love him and want to see more, but i don't see him contending for the Calder.

If Toews can be a solid top-4 LD, we've hit the jackpot. If he can be a CdH or even CdH-lite, we should be thrilled. He brings a very similar skillset and may provide a bit more offensive punch. He should be a good match as Pulock's regular partner, like he was in the AHL.

His emergence would help fill our 2nd most glaring need, frees us to focus on getting Barzal's #2C.

Reactions: SI90

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I will just have to question his age. Turgeon JT were in this league at 18. Kaspairaites was around 19, 24 is mid career a lot of guys are out of the NHL by 30. It shouldn't take six years from.draft day to learn defense. When the ISLES had a real Gm and real coacg the defenseman were playing here by 19 20 21. Are the Ahl coaches that bad? Or the players just not that good? Will Toews be a rookie next year at 25 ?

What organization is churning out 19 and 20 year old defenseman with most prospects?

Reactions: Eberzal

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
He should absolutely be on the roster over Sbisa. The tank is real.

Why's this argument so binary? They are aren't tanking, but they certainly aren't going to jeopardize the potential success of any asset or any player for limited success this year. This team is not good. That doesn't mean we are tanking. It just means we aren't any good. By some spectacular Vegas magic, maybe we see an actual competitive team that rallies around some change and infused structure, but nobody should be expecting that. The goal is to be a cup contender in 2-3 years. Not "not a joke" or "maybe win a round". Not seeing our prospects "not bust" but actually seeing them evolving into legit all-stars instead of only getting a Palffy, Tavares, Barzal when they are 18 and then having everyone else suck dick.

People are going to freak out every game in October with the lineup choices while this team is still being evaluated and planned for TWO YEARS from now. This roster and who is getting regular minutes is going to look vastly different in the spring of even this season than it does in the fall. If Toews spends the full year riding the pressbox in the NHL, then we have right to be pissed. But not playing in the very first games for a rookie in which the team will not be good and everyone is new is not really the end of the world.

He'll be fine and get his reps and our goal is to maximize his ceiling, not go .500 and stunt his growth. There's a reason they brought in veterans, and it isn't to win the Stanley Cup this year. It's to establish structure and professionalism. If this team resembles anything instead of a giant f***ing mickey mouse joke, that will be the greatest achievement it's had in 30 years.

Reactions: IODCPiper

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Pretty sure he meant that it would take an obscene point total to win the Calder and veteran dmen don't even put up enough points on a regular basis so it's hard to believe a rookie could.

I think we can all agree that if Devon Toews even gets 1 top 3 vote for the Calder it'd be a miracle.
You guys realize Tyler Myers once won the Calder without putting up stupid point totals right? So it can happen.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Reward a young player. He’s earned a spot.

What message do you send if you don’t start him?

Veterans will always have the edge during training camp.

Unless the younger player is head and shoulders better than the veteran, coaches will always lean towards the vet

Reactions: dood

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

20-21
Leddy - Dobson
Toews - Pulock
Aho- Wilde

Sorokin / Sonderstorm

Isn't there already a dormant Toews thread? If so, can we merge it in?

Isle1966

Nov 18, 2003
The numbers game will see him start in the minors but he will be up at some point with injury or trade. I think they would like to have him eligible for BST playoffs and a run at the calder cup so he may well win the calder.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
If Toews can be a solid top-4 LD, we've hit the jackpot. If he can be a CdH or even CdH-lite, we should be thrilled. He brings a very similar skillset and may provide a bit more offensive punch. He should be a good match as Pulock's regular partner, like he was in the AHL.

His emergence would help fill our 2nd most glaring need, frees us to focus on getting Barzal's #2C.
I think he is more like a young leddy then cdh imo that is better for future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad