Player Discussion: Devon Toews

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
What do you guys think Toews value on the market is right now, either in draft picks or forwards. I'm not anyway interested in moving him but would love to hear where you guys think he's at realistically. Would he be equal to a first, 2 firsts, top 6 F, 2c...like that.

He's worth way way more to us than to any other team - what it would take for us to move him wouldn't be something any team would realistically give up

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
just make snow a scout. problem solved

Honestly, I would let Snow tinker with the last 3-5 roster spots on the AHL roster and make waiver claims from other teams. He is good at dumpster diving for the most part. Let him scout the AHL and ECHL looking for players who might need a break. Even if they are just solid minor league players, who help other prospects develop, at least that is a contribution.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Toews plays with confidence like he's a five year veteran. Mature beyond his years. Very rare to have that type of defenseman. Someone mentioned him being similar to Kenny Johnnsson. I like that comparison but I think Toews has better offensive potential than Kenny. Let's just hope he continues to get better.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Been a plus in 21 of his 23 games to start his career.

Nothing but praise going his way. Would like to see him add a little more offense; but he’s been fine in that dept. He’s not a liability out there whatsoever, his transition game adds a dynamic they’ve been missing.

Reactions: bigtim1988 and CBG

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Kid is a stud. I might be crazy for saying this, but aside from Barzal, I think he's our best asset. It's not easy to find stud d-men like this.
Him and Pulock. Pulock has been a shutdown guy all year, just needs to increase his accuracy with his shot and he’ll be an absolute stud.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i love Toews, but he is not a kid anymore. he's 24. and, he's getting 'easy' minutes right now, so IMO, i wouldn't judge him as an untouchable, just yet.

on the plus side, his defense is much better than i expected. his mistakes are minimal, his 1st pass out of the zone is very good, and of course, he is a fantastic skater. contract is obviously a steal, and hopefully LL signs him to a long, cheap, like Pelech and Mayfield.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
i love Toews, but he is not a kid anymore. he's 24. and, he's getting 'easy' minutes right now, so IMO, i wouldn't judge him as an untouchable, just yet.

on the plus side, his defense is much better than i expected. his mistakes are minimal, his 1st pass out of the zone is very good, and of course, he is a fantastic skater. contract is obviously a steal, and hopefully LL signs him to a long, cheap, like Pelech and Mayfield.

Toews is going to cost a lot more.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Toews plays with confidence like he's a five year veteran. Mature beyond his years. Very rare to have that type of defenseman. Someone mentioned him being similar to Kenny Johnnsson. I like that comparison but I think Toews has better offensive potential than Kenny. Let's just hope he continues to get better.
Seeing him a lot in ahl I do think he could be a 40 point nhl defenseman, he may eventually replace Leddy on top unit. The crazy thing is Aho is better offensively I just don’t know where he fits on this team. The biggest reason this team has improved other than Trotz is the young defense have all grown leaps and bounds(Pulock, Mayfield, Toews and even Pelech has played better lately)

Reactions: Newsworthy

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Well, if they’re all 24 they couldnt be much further than 8 months apart with their birthdays

You must have already had your morning coffee. I see math was your best subject. You are correct. Well done . Your funny I laughed but not a lol. Not sure what a laugh in loud is? A lil ?

Reactions: Noreaster96

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Seeing him a lot in ahl I do think he could be a 40 point nhl defenseman, he may eventually replace Leddy on top unit. The crazy thing is Aho is better offensively I just don’t know where he fits on this team. The biggest reason this team has improved other than Trotz is the young defense have all grown leaps and bounds(Pulock, Mayfield, Toews and even Pelech has played better lately)
Mayfield, Pulock, and Toews turned this defense into something solid. Pelech on the other hand looks like he is stuck at mediocre. Boychuk is having his best season in years. Leddy is about to be replaced by Toews.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
This kid is the reason why I don’t understand why they brought back Hickey. Only reason maybe is they were worried about his shoulder injury. This kid for me has more talent then Dehaan.

Reactions: Newsworthy

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Definitely not a move to be made now, but does Toews make Leddy expendable in a package at some point if it means bringing in a young, high end player with term?

Reactions: dood

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Definitely not a move to be made now, but does Toews make Leddy expendable in a package at some point if it means bringing in a young, high end player with term?
Sure it does. I don’t know about term but the if the Jets are considering moving Laine like some of there fans have suggested i would definitely make an attempt to acquire him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not yet. Unless you're dead sure that Sebastian Aho is ready to step into that role.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
No, yeah it’s definitely not for now. Maybe this or next offseason
What you call for with Toews is the logical progression though. A chance to offload the balance of Leddy's contract sometime down the road while using our depth of D prospects to replace him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad