Player Discussion: Devon Toews

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
And he traded away the only redwood that could play....

Yep. I remember getting ridiculed by a Stars fan, when I suggested Chara’s upside was Derian Hatcher. Looking back now, maybe that fan meant it as I was underselling his potential. :sarcasm:

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Yep. I remember getting ridiculed by a Stars fan, when I suggested Chara’s upside was Derian Hatcher. Looking back now, maybe that fan meant it as I was underselling his potential. :sarcasm:
People are quick to forget that Chara as an Islanders prospect was a project player with 2nd line upside.

Reactions: CupHolders

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
In fairness to the Dallas fan, Chara couldn't hold a candle to Hatcher's ability to cross-check people in the face.

Reactions: CupHolders

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What are the expectations for Toews this year?
Takes another step. May force Lou's hand in dealing Leddy for next season sooner than later. Going to need some of that 5.5 to get Toews under RFA contract. He is a terrific home grown story. A mid rd pick to boot,

Reactions: jeffff

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If Hiller is as good as everyone says he is, he should recognize that the PP looked a lot better when he was on the ice.

I'm thinking he might implement a new system which might not use Toews, but Pulock instead. It's possible he'll use both, but two defensemen is a rarity these days on the PP I think.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'm thinking he might implement a new system which might not use Toews, but Pulock instead. It's possible he'll use both, but two defensemen is a rarity these days on the PP I think.

It's less common nowadays with the 1-3-1 being all the rage, but you do still see 2 Dmen on the PP at times; it just depends on their skillset. If they put Pulock on the left half boards to set up his one timer, there would be a spot open at the top that you'd want a Dman in, and Toews would be the best option to put there. They could put Pulock at the top though, which would likely mean Toews wouldn't be on the first unit PP.

And he traded away the only redwood that could play....
That's bound to happen when you trade away all of them.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's less common nowadays with the 1-3-1 being all the rage, but you do still see 2 Dmen on the PP at times; it just depends on their skillset. If they put Pulock on the left half boards to set up his one timer, there would be a spot open at the top that you'd want a Dman in, and Toews would be the best option to put there. They could put Pulock at the top though, which would likely mean Toews wouldn't be on the first unit PP.

That's bound to happen when you trade away all of them.

Pulock could definitely be treated as an offensive player on the PP and set up for the one timer at the Ovi spot. It just always leads back to the same problem of incorporating Barzal in some way. We saw in the pre-season game last night that when Barzal is on the right side it's a bit different and it takes a bit more work to make things happen. Maybe he'll take Eberle's spot on the goal line or something.

So Barzal at the goal line, Brassard at the right wall, Toews at the blue line, Pulock at the left wall, and Lee in front.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Pulock could definitely be treated as an offensive player on the PP and set up for the one timer at the Ovi spot. It just always leads back to the same problem of incorporating Barzal in some way. We saw in the pre-season game last night that when Barzal is on the right side it's a bit different and it takes a bit more work to make things happen. Maybe he'll take Eberle's spot on the goal line or something.

So Barzal at the goal line, Brassard at the right wall, Toews at the blue line, Pulock at the left wall, and Lee in front.
My prediction is that we'll see Barzal on the right half boards, just like how Marner's been used under Hiller. Of course, Hiller also had lefty Matthews on the left boards, so that might we don't see Pulock there -- but that is stil what I predict we will see.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
What are the expectations for Toews this year?
Has great speed and, and decent skills. May replace Leddy, mostly because of cost. Possibly soon. RFA next year, so he may play just a little harder :D

I can see Trotz rolling the pairs, and expect Toews to get 19-20 TOI? more if Leddy gets traded. I predict he gets 9-17=26 Not much PIM's. Decent defensively, should be in the plus

Reactions: jeffff

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

I don't see why not. And that leaves a decent PP2 with Leddy for entry and still Nelson Bailey and Eberle. Would love to see Beau solidify a spot as a shooting thread on PP2, but Beau hasn't yet figured out how to slow the game down and find pockets of space. Right now he's all motor or useless, and we might as well give Cizikas that spot if that's what it's gonna be.

That said, it will probably be fluid all year. The PP is the most exciting thing for me going into the season. Having a top 10 PP would be a major upgrade and make us very hard to beat. I just want to see players with different roles put together and much more movement instead of 5 stationary passers.

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad