Post-Game Talk: Devils win! NJ 4 - Seattle 2

Devils 3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Are you like 6'4" 220 or something? Playing against teams with a guy like geersten scared the piss out of me, quite honestly. I definitely knocked off whatever Claude Lemieuxish BS I would employ at the time, and wouldn't follow pucks into the corner quite as readily. Given: much lower league and different era...

So I see alot of "that doesn't work" posts and absolutely no suggestions on what we should do to keep Hughes, bratt, smith, Nico et al in the lineup instead of the morgue.

It certainly is an ongoing problem we have that will only really get worse as the stakes get higher.

Im glad we added graves, siegs, Dougie, as all of that will help...but?
Sorry but that sounds more like a you thing. Most good players aren’t thinking about that and know how to protect themselves and not get hit badly. Sometimes awkward hits happen though and the often big guys throwing those hits definitely aren’t worried about Geersten.

How is it an ongoing problem? Has Jack gotten hurt a ton in his first two seasons? He played all 56 games last year. Nico broke his foot in the Off-season last year and then took a Subban slap shot to the face. Bratt has played a ton of games and missed very few. How is it an ongoing problem? This is the first incident I can think of.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
So I see alot of "that doesn't work" posts and absolutely no suggestions on what we should do to keep Hughes, bratt, smith, Nico et al in the lineup instead of the morgue.

the only thing goons do is negate potential powerplays after one of our guys get flattened. that's it. this fallacy scenario where one of our guys is vulnerable, tom wilson is bearing down on him to throw a massive hit, when suddenly wilson thinks "oh gee, i'd better not, what if (insert garbage player that will be in real estate in 4 years) doesn't like it?" is more 80's than the california raisins solving rubik's cubes on their way to a mall food court.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Gomer is hilarious. He has fantastic stories in his first episode too about Pepe, Randy McKay and Pat Burns.

And if I saw on Instagram correctly, I think he and Teddy Purcell are the next Sandbagger opponents to golf a round with Whit and Biz. Think I saw they were at Basking Ridge.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Gomer is hilarious. He has fantastic stories in his first episode too about Pepe, Randy McKay and Pat Burns.

And if I saw on Instagram correctly, I think he and Teddy Purcell are the next Sandbagger opponents to golf a round with Whit and Biz. Think I saw they were at Basking Ridge.

I haven't seen these but of course you go through the opossum.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
the only thing goons do is negate potential powerplays after one of our guys get flattened. that's it. this fallacy scenario where one of our guys is vulnerable, tom wilson is bearing down on him to throw a massive hit, when suddenly wilson thinks "oh gee, i'd better not, what if (insert garbage player that will be in real estate in 4 years) doesn't like it?" is more 80's than the california raisins solving rubik's cubes on their way to a mall food court.

It's incredible people still believe that dumb shit. The game was literally dirtier when every team dressed a meathhead there to do nothing but box

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's incredible people still believe that dumb shit. The game was literally dirtier when every team dressed a meathhead there to do nothing but box
The NHL in the 70s and 80s was incredibly dirty, it was open season on everyone. This myth that goons "protected the stars" is such nonsense.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The NHL in the 70s and 80s was incredibly dirty, it was open season on everyone. This myth that goons "protected the stars" is such nonsense.

Yeah but the players say they feel safer when they have a goon on their team so obviously they make the game safer

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah but the players say they feel safer when they have a goon on their team so obviously they make the game safer

The two issues should not be conflated. There is clearly something the players take from it. My guess is that the players have a belief that someone has to fight in certain situations. Walking away from it must be shameful or something. If nobody steps up the team will apparently be regarded as weak and maybe the pushback is a sign of a close knit team or something. I don't like fighting and I don't like the cheap shots either. I don't think most folks pay to watch the Reaves and Geerstens of the world nor do I think people pay to watch Marchand and Wilson cheap shot folks. The problem is that the lease won't do anything about it. While I agree that a guy like Geersten who seemingly has little skill is not doing much if he isn't fighting, having a Bastian around to take care of it in the 10 games a year it comes up is helpful. The trick is having a guy that can fight and play so you can concentrate on the playing and the few times the fighting comes up it's a minor event.

Reactions: trufleshufle13

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The two issues should not be conflated. There is clearly something the players take from it. My guess is that the players have a belief that someone has to fight in certain situations. Walking away from it must be shameful or something. If nobody steps up the team will apparently be regarded as weak and maybe the pushback is a sign of a close knit team or something. I don't like fighting and I don't like the cheap shots either. I don't think most folks pay to watch the Reaves and Geerstens of the world nor do I think people pay to watch Marchand and Wilson cheap shot folks. The problem is that the lease won't do anything about it. While I agree that a guy like Geersten who seemingly has little skill is not doing much if he isn't fighting, having a Bastian around to take care of it in the 10 games a year it comes up is helpful. The trick is having a guy that can fight and play so you can concentrate on the playing and the few times the fighting comes up it's a minor event.
I don't care if we have a guy who can fight while also being able to play a regular shift, but goons are useless.

People far too often mistake "hard to play against" as having goons though. That simply isn't the case.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
My lineups if Hughes is out:
V1 - With Holtz
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Kuokkanen-Sharangovich-Holtz
Johnsson-Mercer-Tatar
Vesey-McLeod-Studenic

V2 - Without Holtz
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Kuokkanen-McLeod-Sharangovich
Johnsson-Mercer-Tatar
Vesey-Gauthier-Studenic
Mason Geertsen is missing. How dare you!

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
My lineups if Hughes is out:
V1 - With Holtz
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Kuokkanen-Sharangovich-Holtz
Johnsson-Mercer-Tatar
Vesey-McLeod-Studenic

V2 - Without Holtz
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Kuokkanen-McLeod-Sharangovich
Johnsson-Mercer-Tatar
Vesey-Gauthier-Studenic

Kuokkanen-Sharangovich-Holtz would get KILLED. Also if it's McLeod instead of Holtz that's the 3rd line and Johnsson-Mercer-Tatar is the 2nd.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
its not a fallacy .... if you hit a star player hard .... many times you know you have to fight.. not every guy wants to fight every night.... so on some nights they may think twice..fact.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I don't care if we have a guy who can fight while also being able to play a regular shift, but goons are useless.

People far too often mistake "hard to play against" as having goons though. That simply isn't the case.
yes i will agree with this... you want to get to the point where you have "tough" players sprinkled in the lineup that are hard to play against... is Geersten the perfect example absolutely not.. we lack tough to play against players... and have for several years.. they are hard to get ... Mercer.. mcleod... wood... are those types of players... bastian was so you want those guys in the lineup...even johnsson.. has an element of it

Reactions: My3Sons

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
they believe it cause the players say it... you are the one that believes it has no merit whatsoever based on your own opinion ... while you ignore what words actually come out of NHL players mouths... we have probably exhausted this topic.......i know everyone is clamoring for Studenic to get back in the lineup so hopefully that happens soon and we can not discuss it.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

and to be fair the original conversation was we don't have enough "gritty" players that are hard to play against which was also mocked .. Geersten is a stop gap we have a bunch of 20 year olds running around out there against men..

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
its not a fallacy .... if you hit a star player hard .... many times you know you have to fight.. not every guy wants to fight every night.... so on some nights they may think twice..fact.
We iced the goon and our best player got hit hard and injured. He played 3 minutes and fought a guy. Great, the injury already happened.

And a pest-type player will happily take the free PP if a guy wants to go after him after crushing a star player. There is no real deterrent. The answer is for smaller players to get stronger and not put themselves in compromising situations.

Reactions: Hisch13r

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
These last two games would have been L last year. We are seeing progress, there are just a few things we need to clean up. Graves looks like a true #1 even though he made some bonehead turnoevers....I will pass it off as its only game number two.

Team looks like we are skating very well and I am happy Johnsson is making me eat my own words. However, Subban- Seigenthaler need to be off the team. Keep Colton White and Jaros!! That pairing goes flat on their stomachs every shift. Seattle didnt even have an odd man rush and Seigenthaler laid flat on the ice to try and make a poke check. I really hope its not the coaching staff that is telling them to do this. lol Also, they are on the ice for almost every goal so far this season.

Other than that , we look decent against a team that came out flying in the second and third. I think the last two games have shown everyone that this is Jacks team.

Team has me really excited
seigenthaler played totally fine i thought he played well..

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
We iced the goon and our best player got hit hard and injured. He played 3 minutes and fought a guy. Great, the injury already happened.

And a pest-type player will happily take the free PP if a guy wants to go after him after crushing a star player. There is no real deterrent. The answer is for smaller players to get stronger and not put themselves in compromising situations.

yes there is a deterrent ..... if you know you are going to have to fight.. you may not do it again.. its still happens of course but it lessens it... I'm done with this though ... the no tough guy camp can think what they want and the tough guy camp and NHL players and coaches can think what they want. and GM's ...lets agree to disagree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad