Post-Game Talk: Devils win! NJ 4 - Seattle 2

Devils 3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Dressing a Geertsen every game isn't going to stop those players from being hit, it'll just give us somebody to go after a player after they already hit them so everybody can feel like something was done about it.

And the players were praising him. It’s how they view the game. It’s not a deterrence issue. It’s an emotional issue for them.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
0625109a-133b-43a7-b2bc-f03cc9ab6c58_text.gif

there's no evidence i've seen that fighting reduces cheap shots/dirty hits from happening. the season is a week old and there's been a slew of big hits and injuries, fighting does nothing to deter that.

if you want to get the cheap shit out of the game, the answer is a complete overhaul of the officiating, where off-ice officials are calling penalties that refs miss. almost any of our guys can stand up for themselves, we don't need some useless meathead in our lineup.

No, but clearly we need a different lineup then.

The above take is always so funny, because it goes out the window the first time we play a physical team, and then gets sillier as the playoffs go on.

The whole problem anyone should've had with last night is that Lauzion boarded Mercer, got no penalty and went on to sleep foot Hughes. So?

My3Sons

Sponsor
People have enjoyed watching violence since the dawn of time. Maurice Thompson said it best in the Witchery of Archery -

We are nothing better than refined and enlightened savages. The fibre of our nature is not changed in substance; it is polished and oiled. The wild side of the prism of humanity still offers its pleasures to us, and it is healthful and essentially necessary to broad culture that we accept them in moderation.

Sure. People are savages. I’d like to think we can overcome that. Otherwise why not just have the purge and be done with it. We can all kill each other to celebrate our nature.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
No, but clearly we need a different lineup then.

The above take is always so funny, because it goes out the window the first time we play a physical team, and then gets sillier as the playoffs go on.

The whole problem anyone should've had with last night is that Lauzion boarded Mercer, got no penalty and went on to sleep foot Hughes. So?
That was not a slew foot. Clean hit all day. Even Ruff said so.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
And the players were praising him. It’s how they view the game. It’s not a deterrence issue. It’s an emotional issue for them.

And that's fine, but let's drop this bullshit pretense that they're out there preventing players from making dirty hits or hitting stars. They're there to get even after a dirty hit or hit to a star player.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i’m not weighing into the goon debate but lol at everyone saying we had bastian for that - he sucks at fighting

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Right here:

"Most good players aren’t thinking about that and know how to protect themselves and not get hit badly. "
Lol. That doesn’t mean he’s not gonna get hit. It means that these players know how to protect themselves and not put themselves in a position where they are likely to get hurt. That doesn’t mean he won’t get hit. And every now and then they may get hurt. It happens but there’s nothing to suggest it’s been an ongoing problem like you said.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sure. People are savages. I’d like to think we can overcome that. Otherwise why not just have the purge and be done with it. We can all kill each other to celebrate our nature.
I think you missed the moderation part :laugh:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Then any assertion that the referees should police the game is wrong and you are saying it is all on Hughes. Else, what could you be saying?
I’m saying it’s part of the game and there’s nothing you can do to stop it. It’s gonna happen. Every now and then there might be an awkward hit that hurts them. To this point it hasn’t been an ongoing problem. All you gotta do is read man.

Reactions: My3Sons

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I’d love to dress Geertsen if he could score 20+ a year like Wilson. Wilson is the rare goon that’s actually pretty good. Our guy is a “play 3 minutes in a game where we’re down a forward” type goon.
Makes sense to me. I don't want to dress Geersten either, but the rest of our lineup and our opponent seems to dictate it.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We don't get owned by Washington because of Tom Wilson. We get owned by them because they're just a better team.

I'm also perfectly fine with having a 4th line guy who can fight if he can also play. But I'd rather not waste a regular roster spot on a guy who will play 5 minutes and rarely ever contribute otherwise.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
We don't get owned by Washington because of Tom Wilson. We get owned by them because they're just a better team.

I'm also perfectly fine with having a 4th line guy who can fight if he can also play. But I'd rather not waste a regular roster spot on a guy who will play 5 minutes and rarely ever contribute otherwise.
3 minutes*

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I’m saying it’s part of the game and there’s nothing you can do to stop it. It’s gonna happen. Every now and then there might be an awkward hit that hurts them. To this point it hasn’t been an ongoing problem. All you gotta do is read man.

Chief, the size and glass like nature of our star players, be it bratt, Nico, jack or Ty is totally an ongoing problem and you are blind if you don't acknowledge it.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Nope. We owned them in a game last season until they initiated the rough stuff and we fell apart completely. Sorry you don't remember.

Reactions: StevensRocks

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Chief, the size and glass like nature of our star players, be it bratt, Nico, jack or Ty is totally an ongoing problem and you are blind if you don't acknowledge it.
How is it an ongoing problem? This is literally the first incident. Nico and Bratt don’t have any problem with their size or glass like nature anyways. Bratt’s not that big but is very strong is his skates and has no problem getting into it. He literally got in a fight last year too. Nico is 6’1.5” and is strong on his feet too while playing a very hard game. They’re not bruisers but I wouldn’t put them anywhere near glass like nature.

You are also changing your argument as we go here.

My3Sons

Sponsor

I think that just reflects the direction of the league. Even the Caps are headed that way. McMichael and Lapierre are listed at only 6’ and roughly 180. As the older players filter out the younger players are tending to skew a bit smaller. It’s hard to collect a team full of big strong guys. TB isn’t big and they have injury prone guys. It’s just a depth issue and NJ is still playing a PTO guy and a waivers guy. Eventually Holtz and some others will filter up and the lineup will look much better even with an injury or two

Reactions: billingtons ghost
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad