Post-Game Talk: Devils win! NJ 4 - Seattle 2

Devils 3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm seriously having trouble picking three stars for this game, I suspect that's why they gave first star to Mercer - make the fans feel good (like me) even though his goal was really more about the two passes on it. I guess Bernier, Graves and ????

My first inclination was Siegs for third star just because he's carrying old man PK right now.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Re: People shitting on Geertsen :
Teams and players take notice if a face puncher is on the other team especially if he has a reputation of being a very good face puncher. It is a deterrent . Fighting him after the hit absolutely does something . It shows a team that fights for their teammates and won’t put up with that shit. It shows heart and character. It can build momentum and pick up the entire team.
Anyone who has played competitive hockey knows how important and appreciated that fight was. Watch and listen to Severson’s post game about how people stood up and fought when needed.
People will bitch no matter what. If no one fought or stood up for their teammates then people would call the team soft , no one cares about each other , no desire to win and bla bla bla.
Also how about showing a little touch of class. I don’t see why we need to trash a guy that was willing to eat fists in order to stick up for his teammates .

This was in response to a person posting in the GDT absolutely crapping all over Geertsen.
It’s bullshit what he said and makes me little bit pissed off.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You can't really make the case guys like Geertsen are deterrents when what happened in the first period happened. Not only the Hughes play but an obvious boarding call that got missed several minutes before that.

To a large degree it's up to this freaking league to be the real force of deterrent. The officials can't be three blind mice when crap like that happens, and DPS has been an utter joke under Parros. Teams can't do it themselves, especially using goons where we have to play with ten forwards after one guy gets hurt and another is useless aside from the fight to make the fans happy. Playing with ten forwards having days off around the game is one thing, but if this was a back to back or a fourth game in six nights?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Glad Hughes is day to day right now. When he was laying on the ice I was sure he had a serious shoulder separation but then when he skated himself off the ice I was hoping that was a good sign that it was something he may be able to shake off.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Jack, Nico, Mercer. Jack didn't play a full period but what he did play was exceptional and I'm also tossing a bit of a sympathy vote. Nico was just great all around. Mercer gets a star for his first goal. Could've given Bernier or Severson one. Graves had a couple of assists with one of them coming off a beauty stretch pass but he also had some god awful plays that lead to the Kraken's best chances.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
That's actually a good one, that skate blade and review saved our fanny.

The post game speeches in the locker room are about a minute and are more interesting than the pressers many times. I recommend those for viewing after a happy game for Ruff having a few goofs like this.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I have no problems with Geertsen. It'll take some time for other teams to know that he will make them pay if they mess around.

The only player I'm worried about right now is Sharangovich... but I think he'll be fine.

God please don't let them get the time to know that. Also there's literally no chance they didn't know. That's 100% something the coaching staff would've highlighted going into the game.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m very happy with the play of Graves so far. I was worried about how his defensive game was and kept hearing form Av fans about how he constantly fires point shots into shinpads and activates too often, makes boneheaded plays too often. He has made some mistakes like everyone e else but I think he has been very good overall. Him and Hamilton are playing as a true top pair in my opinion.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Jeremy Lauzon is a fringe NHL defender who has averaged nearly 2 hits a game in his NHL career. Mason Geertsen isn't going to deter him from anything, and in fact, he didn't at all. Lauzon is getting paid to finish guys like Hughes along the boards, and the day he stops is the day he's looking for another league to play in.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You can't really make the case guys like Geertsen are deterrents when what happened in the first period happened. Not only the Hughes play but an obvious boarding call that got missed several minutes before that.

To a large degree it's up to this freaking league to be the real force of deterrent. The officials can't be three blind mice when crap like that happens, and DPS has been an utter joke under Parros. Teams can't do it themselves, especially using goons where we have to play with ten forwards after one guy gets hurt and another is useless aside from the fight to make the fans happy. Playing with ten forwards having days off around the game is one thing, but if this was a back to back or a fourth game in six nights?

It’s not just a deterrence issue though. It’s a confidence and team building issue for the players. The reality is the stupid unwritten rules of the game demand a fight sometimes and somebody has to answer the bell. Now obviously a guy who can fight and play is preferable. Bastian was good enough to be a RW4 and fight a bit. Geersten less so but better he fights than McLeod or Wood.

I’d like fighting removed from the game. I’d also like to see the league police the cheap shots and thugs. I doubt either happens in my lifetime.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Geersten is not a deterrent. Other teams do not care. That was also a clean hit. Other teams aren’t just gonna stop hitting Jack because of Geersten.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Hughes was visibly pissed going down the tunnel, if it’s anything less a month it’ll be a miracle IMO
Ruff said day to day so maybe not. Sometimes they can hurt a lot but not be as bad as you might think based on how much they hurt. I’ve been there.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Yeah, I don't understand shitting on Geristwhattawhat because he was put into the line up. What's he supposed to do, say "Aww shucks. I'll pass, put in someone else."?

It was his first NHL game, and kudos to him for it. From what little I saw, he seems quite well liked by the team. Watch the fight again, you can see Whitey and a few others loving it on the bench.

His limited TOI wasn't terrible in terms of on-ice performance. Played with energy, didn't hinder the team in anyway other than us being down to 10F at one point.

Reactions: NJ Fan 12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino