Post-Game Talk: Devils win! Devils 4 - Rangers 3

Devils 3 stars.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
i'm not going to pretend i know one prospect from another but i dont get the hate on drafting a goalie in the 2nd round. if you have a need and there is a kid you go get him. seeing his size when they drafted him i thought it was a no brainer as long as he could/would put everything together
Because they usually take 5 years just to arrive and our team had so many needs that putting valuable chips on a goalie just to incubate seems like a bad move for team that needed about 8 forwards and 3 Dmen?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Obviously it's early and there is plenty to work on, but I see no need to toss cold water on this.

Overall the team is exceeding expectations and the young guys we need to step up are stepping up big time.
We've allowed 1 regulation goal and scored 6 in 3 games so far. Did we ever have a stretch like that under Hynes? Our special teams need serious work right now, but 5on5 we have been quite good.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We've allowed 1 regulation goal and scored 6 in 3 games so far. Did we ever have a stretch like that under Hynes? Our special teams need serious work right now, but 5on5 we have been quite good.

I am not really worried about the PK. Rangers have to be given a little credit. They can send out a high power PP. Defending that isn't easy and the PK got key key kills in the third to help win the game.

PP needs way more work, but it will take time.

Camille the Eel

The
still way too early to tell but if given a legit chance with talent on his wings i think mikey will exceed peoples projections of him on here.

also for jack....just goes to show you what a legit nhl coach can do for a kids game. super early still i get that but beyond glad the devils went with a veteran coach behind the bench
The whole coaching staff is better. McLeod saw some PK time in the final power play. He did not deserve that penalty either in the 2d period - I couldn’t believe the refs sent him off alone after the way the rags initiated the scrum after Blackwood froze the puck.

And I can’t see much negativity as to Kulikov at this point. He’s been rock solid besides Severson just like Murray next to Subban. He’s played like a legit NHL top 4 guy these first 3 games. Who on the Rags was better than him last night in a strictly defensive role for instance?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The

The whole coaching staff is better. McLeod saw some PK time in the final power play. He did not deserve that penalty either in the 2d period - I couldn’t believe the refs sent him off alone after the way the rags initiated the scrum after Blackwood froze the puck.

And I can’t see much negativity as to Kulikov at this point. He’s been rock solid besides Severson just like Murray next to Subban. He’s played like a legit NHL top 4 guy these first 3 games. Who on the Rags was better than him last night in a strictly defensive role for instance?

It is almost like the additions of Muray and Kulikov were made to with idea of enhancing our existing team...instead of just being opportunistic additions.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
What's encouraging to me is that we managed to hold on to a 1 goal lead. I feel like we would have turteled up and buckled under Hynes.

Mac's been great but we really need to reduce the shots on him. As for the D, having 2 shutdown D in Murray and Kulikov is just what the doctor ordered. I dunno why everyone was so down on Kulikov after we got him. He posted bad advanced stats, but (as I've been saying since we got him) he was playing over his head on the 1st pairing in 'Peg. I think those who want to bench him when Vats comes back are nuts.

I've also been saying that bad goaltending compounds D issues. Previous years, the D had lost faith in Cory and were pulling themselves out of position trying to do too much in an attempt to compensate.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I've also been saying that bad goaltending compounds D issues. Previous years, the D had lost faith in Cory and were pulling themselves out of position trying to do too much in an attempt to compensate.

Idk if I agree with that. They were the same even when Blackwood was in net (when Hynes was still here).

Reactions: Nubmer6

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I am not really worried about the PK. Rangers have to be given a little credit. They can send out a high power PP. Defending that isn't easy and the PK got key key kills in the third to help win the game.

PK1 isn't a problem. The problem is the Palmieri/Sharangovich group.
They do not know how to move and put pressure on the puck carrier. They're standing in the slot in order to prevent high danger scoring chances from there but at the expense of letting the other team move the puck freely. It also means they cannot pick up loose pucks along the board so they get stuck on the ice for super long shifts.

I don't think Palmieri has ever played PK in his career and Sharangovich is a rookie (did he PK in KHL?). They're learning on the fly right now.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
They do not know how to move and put pressure on the puck carrier. They're standing in the slot in order to prevent high danger scoring chances from there but at the expense of letting the other team move the puck freely. It also means they cannot pick up loose pucks along the board so they get stuck on the ice for super long shifts.

I don't think Palmieri has ever played PK in his career and Sharangovich is a rookie (did he PK in KHL?). They're learning on the fly right now.
Palms played PK a few years ago, and Sharangovich was known for his defensive play before his scoring took off. He's played PK everwhere he's been.

But I agree. I'd take Palms off PK2 and replace him with McLeod to add some speed and forechecking to disrupt zone entries. I would, however, keep Sharangovich there. I'd also consider switching Sharangovich and pair him with Zajac, while pairing Zacha with McLeod.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I agree. They both look pedestrian on the PK.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I was going to agree with what you all were saying but then I realized that that would mean 3 centers on the PK which isn't great. I guess they were doing that last year with Rooney/Zacha, Coleman/Zajac, though.

I'd rather see Sharangovich/Zajac and Zacha/McLeod with Sharangovich and McLeod as 'F1' - the guy who is closer to the top of the formation and pressures the puck carrier more.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I was going to agree with what you all were saying but then I realized that that would mean 3 centers on the PK which isn't great. I guess they were doing that last year with Rooney/Zacha, Coleman/Zajac, though.

I'd rather see Sharangovich/Zajac and Zacha/McLeod with Sharangovich and McLeod as 'F1' - the guy who is closer to the top of the formation and pressures the puck carrier more.
I feel like that's what I just said.

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
Quick thoughts....

It sure seems like Jack is figuring out the NHL, and I don't think it's because he put on 15lbs of muscle. Rather, that weight gain has just made him more confident. He's a puck magnet in a way no Devils player has since probably Elias at his peak. That said, I think he has to tone down his cellys; someone will take a run at him and he hasn't put on enough muscle to discourage that.

MB is in the zone, 2 of the three goals were lucky bounces. Remarkable play by the big guy.

Palmeri still isn't playing great, and Gusev needs to break out. I'm confident things will change for them soon.

Zajac is playing great. I think he's earning his next contract from the Devils.

I'm getting frustrated by the Nico injury and visa problems (Bratt & Sami). These will become big problems if COVID appears in the locker room.

You can tell the game slowed down for him. Last year he was rushing things while this year he is holding the puck a bit longer and making better passes.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
You can tell the game slowed down for him. Last year he was rushing things while this year he is holding the puck a bit longer and making better passes.

I think Jack’s first step is also more explosive this year and that’s allowing him more separation from the defenders. Once Hughes has space he is dangerous and getting away from the defenders before they can start using their body gives him that space.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
I know I'll probably be vilified on here for saying this but Wood actually looks good. I know it's only 3 games in but.......

Camille the Eel

Reminds me of the confederate general who was asked who lost Gettysburg - was it Longstreet being late, etc.? - and who answered, “I always thought the Yanks had something to do with it.”

Reactions: Guttersniped

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
My thoughts 3 games in.

Jack looks great out there. The game has definitely slowed down for him and I love how he has put on some extra muscle. If he can keep playing like this, we've got ourselves a superstar.
Blackwood has been solid, defence needs to tighten up but he has been great so far.

Wood is making things happen out there. Once Bratt and Nico come back he will be forced down the lineup but I've liked his game. I hope he can keep this up. We need his speed and edge.
Sharangovich you can tell has played a bunch of games already. It will be interesting to see as the season goes on if he wears down a bit. I'm guessing he will.
McLeod and Bastian have been good on 4th line duties. I like the energy they are bringing.

Gusev, Johnsson and Kuokkanen haven't done anything. Kuokkanen looks to me like an AHLer. Same with Boqvist at this point. But they are young and getting acclimated. We'll see how they do as the year goes on.

Defence I've been surprised by Kulikov and Tennyson. I thought they would both be terrible but they've been functional. Smith has looked like the typical rookie out there but his play has been generally solid. Maybe Subban plays better with Ruff coaching, he's looked ok. Severson is Severson. Murray has been tremendous out there in his quiet way. Solid in his own zone and making good passes. Hopefully he can stay healthy all year because we need him bad.

Biggest thing for me is that Ruff actually has our guys playing a system. You can see the effort is there and when Nico, Bratt and Vats come back it will only help.

If we keep playing like this we will be in the playoff hunt. 3 games in I know....we'll see where we are 15-20 games in but its been encouraging to see the improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad