GDT: Devils vs. Senators - 7:30 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
reminder once again, we played a back to back, and contained the pens the night before
On the road no less.

Still in order to break out of a slump you have to put games together. The Pitt win at this point is a lone win in a bad stretch.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I believe the team is trouble. So far just a few players have played well. We need 2nd line center, another scoring winger and have nothing close to a Chabot. Have to also question the coaching. The only thing in their favor is that it’s still early.
I still think it's all about that 2nd line. Zacha in the minors, Bratt still out with injury, Mojo? I guess it's the on ice shooting %?

But as a group that was our 2nd line, from the 3 we have 2 goals(one being a complete garbage time goal) and 5 total points.

That void effects everything down the lineup. Forces guys to play out of their roles and above their ability, puts pressure on our defense if we are stuck in our own end, allows teams to focus on our top line, and in general makes us much easier to defend against.

I'm just not seeing a ton of major issues otherwise, I think the top line has been good, I think we are getting some depth scoring, I think the D has been solid overall, goaltending has been adequate.

I think it's all about that 2nd line.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Guys, it's really not the offense the problem.

It's the system. We are scoring at a good rate. Our team defense has barely any structure to it.

I want you all to watch closely the way we play in our end. And then we take ill advised risk when we lead the game in the offensive zone like bad pinches

Reactions: billingtons ghost

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Totally agree. That's a system issue.
Meh, I think it's more about execution then the system.

Unless you want to say, as an attacking team we don't have the protect a lead mentality? Or the ability to shift gears from attacking to lead protection?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

It's the system. We are scoring at a good rate. Our team defense has barely any structure to it.

I want you all to watch closely the way we play in our end. And then we take ill advised risk when we lead the game in the offensive zone like bad pinches
As Dano pointed out, the pinches are fine if a fwd covers.

What are your defensive zone issues?

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
So much for all that brotherhood bs, doesn't look like a club that's playing for one another. Sometimes they are...so long as things are going their way. Introduce some adversity however and that pushback we saw last year is a distant memory.

Instead they're habitually coughing up leads and seem more fragile than ever from a mental standpoint. They always had problems with failing to close out a game but it's become all too predictable. Even in the Florida game (one of the only wins in recent memory) they flirted with disaster in the 3rd yet again.

Hynes appears faced with a malady he can no longer diagnose properly, and adjusting mid-game was never his strong point...not a good combination for a team that seems to have lost its way. We were on a back to back, but to rationalize the sort of compete level we saw last night on the 2nd leg of any back to back means we may as well write off all of those games as automatic losses.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

i'll say that at one point (i believe during an ottawa PP, which is pretty unstructured, tbh), our PK looked like a complete mess. like, the diamond totally collapsed. idk how we're only 13th on PK. sometimes it looks alright, and other times......... meh

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
i'll say that at one point (i believe during an ottawa PP, which is pretty unstructured, tbh), our PK looked like a complete mess. like, the diamond totally collapsed. idk how we're only 13th on PK. sometimes it looks alright, and other times......... meh

Devils don’t really run a diamond, I think. It’s sort of like a triangle with a floater on the strong side halfboards. The forwards are expected to rotate as needed to defend the top 3 guys of the umbrella and this sometimes leads to confusion or both forwards in the same place, up the middle, with both halfboards left open.

Reactions: Triumph

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Coleman was in the box twice and Zacha is in the minors - that's two of the Devils' best PK forwards.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Devils don’t really run a diamond, I think. It’s sort of like a triangle with a floater on the strong side halfboards. The forwards are expected to rotate as needed to defend the top 3 guys of the umbrella and this sometimes leads to confusion or both forwards in the same place, up the middle, with both halfboards left open.

and this is why it's so weird... lack of structure, but we don't suck statistically... how? luck?

Mike L

Feb 28, 2018
Devils don’t really run a diamond, I think. It’s sort of like a triangle with a floater on the strong side halfboards. The forwards are expected to rotate as needed to defend the top 3 guys of the umbrella and this sometimes leads to confusion or both forwards in the same place, up the middle, with both
It’s especially bad if the other team has a lot of movement on their PP. They got all mixed up & there ends up being a wide open guy every time.

Last edited:

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
As Dano pointed out, the pinches are fine if a fwd covers.

What are your defensive zone issues?

Yes exactly, which is not always the case, and they still do it. And it's not one instance, happens way too many times, and we get caught. Happened last year too.

Not sure if you ever noticed, but we often have defenseman covering the point. One or both our defensemen go behind the net leaving it wide open or an odd man situation.I think they play a hybrid man on man defense, and it's too easy to get caught.

I really think Hynes is not the right coach for a rebuilding team. Having fringe NHL'er play over our young players is completely stupid.

Zacha produced 25 points last year, sure it doesn't meet expectations, but he's absolutely one of our forward in the defensive zone.

He got demoted to the AHL, while we have players like Mojo doing absolutely nothing. I mean are we still blaming Zacha for Mojo?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
reminder once again, we played a back to back, and contained the pens the night before

I don’t really buy this.

Collapsing after a quick 2-0 lead and subsequently getting your **** kicked in, is problematic.

And it has now happened twice in the last week, which makes it exponentially more problematic. It’s officially a trend. I’m not anywhere close to panicking, but this has been unsettling.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
and this is why it's so weird... lack of structure, but we don't suck statistically... how? luck?

When the forwards are in sync it can be a very strong PK. It forces short passes around the top of the umbrella, which don’t tend to generate great chances. It also should prevent the cross ice pass to the slot or other halfboard as the lower forward is clogging up that passing lane.

When the forwards aren’t in sync or the other team skates around rather than stand still then the PK is in trouble.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'm sure everyone's broken down all of the goals - to me they just looked like mental and coverage mistakes. System/coaching isn't going to fix seeing-eye shots from the blueline with Boyle as a screen, letting cross-seam passes go through your legs, or turning over the puck at the offensive blue-line.

Maybe the PK could use some fixing, but we really shouldn't be in the box like that either.

Has to come from the players.

Reactions: devilsblood and JK3

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Every time I hear "shot assists" I want to punch that person in the face.

JoyfulFaintCoral-size_restricted.gif

7tLTXo.mp4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad