GDT: Devils vs. Senators - 7:00PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I agree. It'll need to unravel even more than it already has for him to be fired mid season. He will most likely get the remainder of the year and be on a short leash next year if it doesn't improve much.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Sometimes you have to make a change even if it isn't all the coaches fault or is fair. Clearly something is not working.

I missed the game tonight but it seemed to be competitive, at least from tracking the score. I would normally agree with making a change, just because, but my gut feeling is that it won't make much of a difference results wise. The honest truth is that NJ is icing one of the weaker rosters in the league. Good start aside, they're probably right where they should be. If they're constantly getting their doors blown off, then I think Hynes is in trouble. If they keep games close but don't win often, Hynes will probably stick around at least to next season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
But when the new coach doesn't win either then what? I get the whole change for change's sake if there's some evidence or hope that things could turn around with a new voice but they're lacking in talent to make the kind of run they'd need to make to realistically get back in this thing and they need to clear some of the 'loser element' out of the locker room regardless of a coaching change or not.

New coach would be an intrem coach. Not the new long term guy.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What kind of message do you send to future coaches if you fire Hynes this fast? I don't do it. It's dumb.

That's the last reason to not fire a coach.

This was the same argument for not firing Pete. ''But nobody is gonna wanna coach here! They see how fast Lou is at firing his head coaches!''

Despite the fact that Pete served an average length of time for an NHL head coach these days. And now more than HALF of teams have made a head coaching change since Pete was fired by the Devils.

You think a guy is gonna turn down an NHL head coaching gig because they fired a 41 year old coach almost a year and a half into his first gig?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I have to admit that through the four game winning streak tonight was the best they played.

Having said that.... I want Zacha, Auvitu, and Blandisi in the lineup.

I'm more impressed by Wood every game.

What's the deal wth attendance in Ottawa? 15k tonight. Tons of empties.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
True, but it's been 15 games where it hasn't worked. It's not like the MacLean era where it was complete **** from day one. If it turns into 25-30 games of bad play then I think you probably have no choice but to make a move. But I don't think we're there quite yet.

Problem is if it gets to 25-30 then the season's really over at that point. Then you might as well let Hynes finish the year unless you're promoting Kowalsky and want to evaluate him.

What kind of message do you send to future coaches if you fire Hynes this fast? I don't do it. It's dumb.

That getting your lunch handed to you time and again isn't tolerated? This isn't the Cleveland Browns where there's some kind of history of coaches lasting >2 years and Shero didn't have that kind of history at Pittsburgh either. People *****ed about Lou and his itchy trigger finger but coaches still came here, and 33 games (MacLean) is a lot less than the 120 or whatever Hynes'll get if there's a change imminent. He fired Julien after 79 games too and Julien wasn't even a first-time coach like MacLean or Hynes.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
That's the last reason to not fire a coach.

This was the same argument for not firing Pete. ''But nobody is gonna wanna coach here! They see how fast Lou is at firing his head coaches!''

Despite the fact that Pete served an average length of time for an NHL head coach these days. And now more than HALF of teams have made a head coaching change since Pete was fired by the Devils.

You think a guy is gonna turn down an NHL head coaching gig because they fired a 41 year old coach almost a year and a half into his first gig?

If you want an accomplished coach as opposed to a junior one. No one of any stature is going to come here if they know there is little to no margin for error. This is a dead end job if so.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have to admit that through the four game winning streak tonight was the best they played.

From what I understand, the Sens arena is way outside of Ottawa. By close to a half hour drive. It's kind of like how the Panthers, Coyotes and maybe a couple other teams have their arena in a non-central location.

I'd imagine that's why they're already talking a new arena for Ottawa.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you want an accomplished coach as opposed to a junior one. No one of any stature is going to come here if they know there is little to no margin for error. This is a dead end job if so.

What guy of stature is even out there now? Most of the accomplished coaches are retired or employed.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
rick kowalsky probably deserves a good look at the head coaching job anyway if they do fire Hynes. But I don't think they should fire him in December. maybe in January or feb if this kind of play continues. but they have already basically played themselves out of the playoffs so might as well give the guy a chance to improve as there's nothing to lose.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

What do they care? They're getting paid anyway.

You don't think that moron Bob Hartley wouldn't come here if he were offered the job TONIGHT?

No one else is hiring him. You don't think Gallant would get on the next available flight to come coach the Devils because he's afraid he'll be scorched quicker than he was in Florida, who had an even better roster?

I don't want either of these guys as head coach at all, would MUCH rather stick with Hynes. I'm just using them as an example, because they're experienced and currently out of work.

Of course, they can always sit home and collect their salary for the next however many years from their respective former clubs, but that's only if they don't like coaching anymore.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
From what I understand, the Sens arena is way outside of Ottawa. By close to a half hour drive. It's kind of like how the Panthers, Coyotes and maybe a couple other teams have their arena in a non-central location.

I'd imagine that's why they're already talking a new arena for Ottawa.

It took me 25 minutes to drive from Byward Market/downtown to the arena. The 417 connects the arena right to the city.... it's honestly a really simple drive.... unless people were turned off by the snow tonight.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I don't buy it. Coaches know that it's the NHL and it's a results driven job. If they don't then they're fools. Plus there are only 30 (soon to be 31) NHL head coaching positions available.

Now if you're pulling crap like the Panthers with coaches then I think you run the risk of alienating some coaches.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Plus the more the NHL becomes analytics-based the more coaches are just going to be seen and treated like middlemen anyway. You see it in baseball now with everyone hiring former players who can get along and go along, or nondescript wonks that'll just churn out lineups based on splits.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
No one in their right mind is going to turn down a head coaching job in the NHL because of who offers it. Look at Tortorella, Laviolette, Boudreau, these guys don't have standards and will clearly go to whoever offers them a job.

It's about MONEY. No one is going to turn down several millions dollars to coach when the alternative is studio analyst or going to Europe for a fraction of the pay.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It took me 25 minutes to drive from Byward Market/downtown to the arena. The 417 connects the arena right to the city.... it's honestly a really simple drive.... unless people were turned off by the snow tonight.

25 minutes is still a considerable amount of a drive from the city when compared to most arenas. Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Vancouver, are in the downtown areas of their respective cities. Edmonton's new arena is too. Calgary's isn't, but it's not that far from the city. Same with the old Edmonton barn. That's just the Canadian teams.

Regardless, I don't think Ottawa has legit attendance problems like Florida or Arizona. So the snow very well may be the problem, but I do know their arena is one of the furthest in the league from the central/downtown area of it's respective city/market.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No one in their right mind is going to turn down a head coaching job in the NHL because of who offers it. Look at Tortorella, Laviolette, Boudreau, these guys don't have standards and will clearly go to whoever offers them a job.

It's about MONEY. No one is going to turn down several millions dollars to coach when the alternative is studio analyst or going to Europe for a fraction of the pay.

If Lou's trigger finger couldn't scare coaches away, nothing can.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This bad run has more to do with the schedule than coaching. Now if they struggle after this gauntlet maybe you can make a valid argument.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This bad run has more to do with the schedule than coaching. Now if they struggle after this gauntlet maybe you can make a valid argument.

The schedule for the first 15 games was brutal and didn't seem to matter. Aside from Buffalo and Arizona and maybe Carolina, did we play any other bad teams when we were 9-3-3?

Now, we need a really bad team like Vancouver if we wanna win and get outshot by mediocre teams like Montreal (but they lead the East tho!) 49-21 and the NYR 31-19.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The schedule for the first 15 games was brutal and didn't seem to matter. Aside from Buffalo and Arizona and maybe Carolina, did we play any other bad teams when we were 9-3-3?

Now, we need a really bad team like Vancouver if we wanna win and get outshot by mediocre teams like Montreal (but they lead the East tho!) 49-21 and the NYR 31-19.

There are only a handful of 'bad' teams in the NHL now. And at this point we might be one of them. But really most of the league's mediocre-good. People waiting for an easy stretch are going to be dissapointed. There are only easy travel stretches, not easy competition stretches.

MissMyDevs*

Mar 14, 2016
I don't think their defense is really playing well, Lundqvist hasn't even been a whole **** ton better than Schneider this year. Maybe after the last couple games he has.

They've been lucky with an insane amount of pucks going into the net. Who the hell expected a schlep like Michael Grabner to score as many as he has? I don't think their management has.

I agree and for a minute there PAP was pulling a Grabner. Seems like everyone except the Devils have good luck with their pick ups.

Sucks. Another year all I have to look forward to is rooting for someone to beat them.

It was tough not to go into this year expecting to be better. They got a bit younger. Made what a good trade. Had good goal tending so we thought. I mean they finally had some depth too, once again, so we thought..but this stretch of games is just proof they are light years away from success and have just gotten worse. They can't keep up with these teams. Soon the Buffalos, Toronos and Carolinas will be leaving us in the dust too

MissMyDevs*

Mar 14, 2016

It snowed big time there I believe

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I agree and for a minute there PAP was pulling a Grabner. Seems like everyone except the Devils have good luck with their pick ups.

Sucks. Another year all I have to look forward to is rooting for someone to beat them.

It was tough not to go into this year expecting to be better. They got a bit younger. Made what a good trade. Had good goal tending so we thought. I mean they finally had some depth too, once again, so we thought..but this stretch of games is just proof they are light years away from success and have just gotten worse. They can't keep up with these teams. Soon the Buffalos, Toronos and Carolinas will be leaving us in the dust too

I know many here don't like PAP, but there's no way he's worse than quite a few of these jokesters that were playing forward tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad